1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Patriots 10 straight seasons with more than 10 wins

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 11, 2012.

1. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,418 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    can you be a dynasty if you go 9 seasons between SB wins?
  2. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

938 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    10 playoff berths...missed the season after their 1st SB win and the season without Brady, but still finished 12-4....only the Broncos managed to finish 12-4 and fail to make the playoffs.

A great track record nonetheless.
  3. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Yes. Getting to the playoffs every year. Only one team gets the trophy, but they've gotten the chance for it every year for a decade. Even if they did have to cheat to get there. Didn't stop the 49ers either.
  4. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Salary cap fraud is different than actual game-time cheating, i.e. what goes on during the actual game. You can question coaching and player legacy in the latter respect, because it concerns the actual game day.
  5. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

938 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    I was also hissed off by Spygate - really enjoyed the Giants beating the Patriots in that Super Bowl as a result.

The question is how big a factor was cheating in New England's success the past decade? On the taping, most of us know Belichick said it only mattered to be a 1 on a scale of 1 to 100, then Kraft declared him a smuck. Yes, their three Super Bowl wins were by three points, but unless there was something more substantial, their wins were legit. If he was a free agent, Belichick would be the most sought after coach of this generation.

I will say he got a slap on the hand for Spygate and got nothing what Sean Peyton did.
  6. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,625 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Ditto

This was what it was like watching the cowboys under Landry folks
  7. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

826 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    I'm amazed Brady has lasted this long.

You look at him, and he looks like a mama's boy/pretty boy.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,619 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    That is supposed to matter?

Back then the talent was much more concentrated and you had greater teams.

Look at the 60's and how many HOF players were on the packers, colts, etc.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,893 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received
    They will not, in a 20 year span, have 20 winning seasons AND 18 playoff berths.
  10. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It goes well beyond taping and the NFL knows it, which is why they burned the evidence, not to mention Kraft's connections within the league. The guy guilty of it opinion on how much it mattered, is absolutely irrelevant. He's a flat out cheater.
  11. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

938 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    ^ Are there any free links with this more damaging information?

I have an open mind.

As much as I liked Lance Armstrong, the testimony since last August was so overwhelming I had to conclude he doped.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,915 Likes Received
    Because coaching + quarterbacking is what it's all about.

If we ever get both then we will have more success as well.
  13. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just google Spygate: The Untold Story that was published this year. There are plenty of reviews if you just want free information, but it's abundantly clear that evidence wasn't simply about 'taping' and that there was massive cover-up.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/6/3218255/spygate-the-untold-story

It's also pretty clear that the NFL has vested interests in making everything seem fine and good.
  14. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

I used to think that before 2007 but not anymore
  15. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    I suspect in that confrontation, Belichek was not the one who blinked. The threat of the real dirt coming out was probably too much for NFL brass.
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    The other day I think Peyton his his 10th straight season with 10 wins as a starter.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,915 Likes Received
    lol @ you guys who think Belichek isn't all that great because he got some film on a team.

I'm sure that went on with every team.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,619 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    He is not the greatest for the simple reason that with only 3 rings in 4 years and none since 2004, he does not qualify
  19. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,103 Messages
    1,128 Likes Received
    If there's a brilliance in Belichick, it lies within SpyGate and what resulted from SpyGate.

We know that he is good friends with Jimmy Johnson and Jimmy tried to stick up for Belichick in the SpyGate scandal by stating that he tried to steal signals by using Howard Mudd to see if they could get the signals, but they just couldn't pull it off.

I think Belichick, who learned things from Jimmy like the value of stockpiling picks, thought that if a team could steal signs with a high level of accuracy, the advantage would be there. And thru the use of cameras (Mudd had to do it w/o cameras) and Ernie Adams' quick and brilliant football mind, they were able to pull that off and have way more success than they should have.

But the brilliance extended to how they were able to use their success to their advantage. This is a copycat league and the league often thinks 'if you can't beat them, trade for them.' Thus, you got all these teams trying to do it 'the Patriots way' and acquiring overhyped assistant coaches and making silly trades with the Patriots when the real key to their success was SpyGate and Brady. Most other organizations would never figure out how to use their success to their advantage.

Lastly, people often forget that the AFC East may be the worst division in football. The main reason being is that outside of Brady, none of the other teams have been able to establish anything that looks like a quality franchise QB.

Between the Jets, Dolphins and Bills, the best QB of the bunch in the last 10 years has been Chad Pennington. And by 2002, his shoulder was so messed up that he completely lost his arm strength and couldn't stay healthy. And the '08 season the Dolphins really relied upon the Wildcat to make the playoffs with Pennington. No other division has had anywhere near that lack of quality QB's than the AFC East.

Take a look:

AFC North: Roethlisberger, Palmer, Dalton, Flacco

AFC South: P. Manning, Luck, Vince Young, Schaub, Garrard

AFC West: P. Manning, Cutler, Plummer, Rivers, Brees, Gannon

NFC East: Romo, RG3, McNabb, Vick, E. Manning

NFC North: Cutler, Favre, Rodgers, Stafford

NFC South: Brees, Ryan, Newton, Delhomme, Freeman

NFC West: Bulger, Warner, A. Smith, Hasselbeck

The AFC East, outside of Brady has had:

NY Jets: Sanchez, Pennington, Favre, Clemens, Bollinger

Buffalo: Bledsoe, Holcomb, Losman, Edwards and Fitzpatrick

Miami: Fiedler, Feeley, Frerotte, Harrington, Lemon, Pennington, Henne and Tannehill

So the Pats are at a very distinct advantage due to them playing in the worst division in football.

YR
  20. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, it didn't. Like I said, it's not simply about 'taping' signals. The first thing one does is affirm that one committed some mistakes, but those mistakes were trivial. This admission takes away from people 'poking' into what really was going on, because their were far bigger dirty secrets. It went far beyond that.