1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Patriots = 20 consecutive winning seasons?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Red Dragon, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,575 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    The Patriots have had 12 consecutive winning seasons, dating back to their 2001 season.

The Cowboys, as we all know, hold the all-time NFL record for the most consecutive winning seasons, at twenty. The Patriots are still a far ways off, but it's not far-fetched to picture them making it twenty consecutive such seasons as well. But I think Tom Brady's replacement QB may experience a losing season.

Anyone think New England may make it 20 straight consecutive winning seasons? I hope they don't.
  2. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Why do you think that? They have a lot great young players on D, and Mallett will have years of apprenticeship under Brady under his belt. Romo sat and watched for a while and he's pretty good now.
  3. Passepartout

Passepartout Member

301 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    With Belichick at the helm, and Brady under center, it would not be surprising if they went 20 consective winning seasons the way that they are going now!
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,966 Messages
    1,696 Likes Received
    We know they both probably won't be there for 8-9 more years. But that certainly is what is helping to keep them good every year. It hasn't hurt that they've been in the same division as the Bills, Jets, and Fins....but they've been outstanding anyway.
    Long ways to go though, so we'll see.
  5. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

805 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    It would be super impressive, especially in this era of salary cap and free agency.
  6. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,078 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    But no young QB on board that they could use to step in.
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,598 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Impressive!
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,968 Messages
    1,715 Likes Received
    One of those 12 was Cassel so who knows what happens after Brady.

Definitely an impressive run. 5 SBs with 3 wins and 1 game away from another appearance.
  9. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

956 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    If they still have Mallett as the backup once Brady finally calls it quits, they have a real shot at it. As Ryan Mallett could only be successful if he sat and learned for a while. But I doubt Belicheck coaches for another eight seasons. Maybe half of that and he'll be gone. No Brady and no Belicheck makes eight more consecutive seasons very unlikely.
  10. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    1,110 Likes Received
    Matt Cassell got them 11 wins the year Brady was hurt.

That tells you a bit about the genius of Bill Belinchek.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,968 Messages
    1,715 Likes Received
    Why wouldn't he coach longer?
  12. NIBGoldenchild

956 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Just my personal opinion, nothing substantial. I just can't see Belicheck being there for eight more seasons. Wouldn't that make him the longest tenured coach on one team ever? Even more than Don Shula in Miami?
  13. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,337 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    Don Shula doesn't hold that record. He coached the Dolphins for 26 straight seasons. Tom Landry(Cowboys) and Curly Lambeau(Packers) both coached their respective teams for 29 consecutive seasons. George Halas coached the Bears for 33 years, but they were not consecutive. He got a couple of breaks from the team.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,246 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    No........
  15. NIBGoldenchild

956 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I understand. Although that was quite a while ago, I still feel like he'll retire well before 2020.
  16. Insomniac

Insomniac New Member

9 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    What else is he going to do? Be a TV guy? He's 60 now so it's not out of the question that he could coach 10 more years.