1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Paul Warfield as a Cowboy...

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Juke99, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Interesting, in the 1964 draft...based on a tip from Buddy Parker the Cowboys traded for Buddy Dial...at the time, they had a kid locked away in a hotel room with some team brass...

Had they not traded for Dial, they would have selected this kid number one...the kid was Paul Warfield...

Schramm was haunted for years by the move...especially when Warfield played a part with those Brown teams beating us in the playoffs..

As it was, the same draft netted, Bob Hayes and Mel Renfro....hmmm...Hayes, Warfield, and Renfro....oh and there was a tenth round pick used for another kid by the name of Staubach...
  2. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes sir, that would have been a deadly combination. Could have possibly helped prolong Bob Hayes' career because eventually, Landry would tell Meredith not to throw to Hayes if he was being double team, which was almost always the case as his career started going.

Also, there is a very cool story about how we were able to get Mel Renfro too.

- Mike G.
  3. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

And that story is???

Have you noticed, only you, Winicki, and me hang out here....very exclusive club (even though Winicki is Canadian). :D
  4. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, just before the Draft, Mel Renfro was at a party. When he walked in, he saw his girlfriend talking to another guy. He was already drunk and he walked over them and punched a mirror above their head really really hard. He was bleeding really bad and if it were not for his friends taking him to the hospital, he could have died.

Anyway...

From what I heard, Tex Schramm found out what happened and circulated a little rumor that Renfro had tried to kill himself and of course alot of teams passed on him, although I forget the main team the Boys were worried about as far as drafting him.

I read this in a book a few months ago and it talks about almost getting Paul Warfield as well.

To this day, Mel Renfro has no feeling in his right hand because of that night. His nickname was Suds, and when I got to meet him a few months back, I meant to ask him how he got his nickname, but I ended up asking him something else while taking a picture with him.

And yes, I have noticed the limited participation in this forum, but I dont mind, I love Cowboys history and even started a historical site just for them :).

- Mike G.
  5. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Great story....I think that might have been in "Cowboys Have Always been my Heroes"
    So do tell about this website of yours...

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  7. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    like us passing on Moss!