1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PC Just started...(***Official PC Thread***)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,629 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Lenny Williams and Harrel cut
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Man that's early. Thanks for the notice.
  3. Mr Cowboy

8,629 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    No kicker coming in right now, may have to go with Cortez, has no choice
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,048 Messages
    1,920 Likes Received

LOL....

Nothing like a vote of confidence you know?

:lmao2:
  5. Mr Cowboy

8,629 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Thought Romo did some good things out there, Rivera could have played, Ferguson will be tested this afternoon, and will be available for the season opener.
  6. devman90

devman90 The Master of Disaster

324 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let's see what he's got. It will be good to see Fergy out there
  7. Portland Fanatic

Portland Fanatic Active Member

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With how well Glover is playing right now...Fergi in rotation is fine.....

We need to get Rivera and Spears on the field!
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,048 Messages
    1,920 Likes Received
    I thought that the comments the broadcast team made, about Glover, were interesting. They raved over him but in that first quarter of play, I watched Glover very closely. He was not holding down the middle. He was getting pushed off the ball or re-directed pretty regularly, while playing NT.

I am just not as confident as some or I'm seeing something that is not there. If anybody has it Tivo'd, maybe they can re-watch and comment on what they see.

a NT should not be getting pushed back or to one side in a 34.
  9. Mr Cowboy

8,629 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Not talking highly of Crowder, needs to learn how to tackle......
  10. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,833 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    That's pretty much what I saw. They got some pretty nice runs against us.
  11. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, too many people are on the Glover "hype machine" He needs to come off the bench in Nickle/dime downs to be effective...

Seems alot of people think he is this big dominating NG...

Wrong, he would be most effective during passing downs...

We need Fergy bad for this D to be Doomsday like!
  12. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Was that it for the press conference?
  13. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,668 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Did he say anything about Ware's injury or Pettiti's?
  14. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Doesn't look like it according to dc.com, but most are prolly waiting on InmanRoshi to do his thing.

:clap:
  15. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    parcells said, petti and ware, played through pain, thats what he wants to see, and get the running backs to do same, and also for running backs to play on special teams, thats a must if they make the team, with barber, he concluded that if he doesnt play thursday night, he has a tough decision to make on him. He talked today to all running backs, about they must play on special teams to make the team, and he had 2 offensive players that were going to work with crowder on their fundamental flaw about tackling empty space, not to lunge at a player when your not there.
  16. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    he also said, after reporters asked him about 3rd string qb, maybe the answer is already there, something lilke that, but if he could, doesnt know if he can, but hopes to play henson at qb thursday night. At center, greounde and al johnson are dead even, so far.
  17. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
    I think Gurode should be starting over Al at this time. He might not be as athletic but he can damn sure hold his own. He is alot more powerful at the point of contact. When I see Al over center it just looks like his guy gets through more times than none (pushing him back into the QB-getting past him). The O just seemed to do more when Gurode came in at the start of the 2nd 1/4 against the Texans.

Just my teake on center...
  18. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wonder what that means for Crowder.
  19. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,033 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I sure hope Barber sucks it up and performs Thursday. Like bill said, a cut shouldn't take this long to heal, and if all it takes is a cut to keep Barber out, then Parcells has reason for concearn, because those types of injuries are very common in the NFL.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The kicker we traded for fialed a physical. Waived Leny Williams and Reggie Harrell. That’s 3 positions cleared up. We’ll make additonal cuts tommorrow.

How did Romo do?
    I thoguth he did alright there. There’s a couple of things that weren’t so good, but by and large he was okay.

More kickers coming?
    Not right now.

Okay with Cortez in San Diego?
    Might not have a choice, so I guess I’ll have to be. We’re certainly looking.

Cortez or Romo to blame for the botched field goal before the half?
    Everything mechanically okay. It was hurried, but okay.

Rivera and Fergy in the game Thursday?
    I don’t want to jeopardize them , but I want them to play if I can. I could have played Rivera. Fergy will be worked out in pads before practice today to evaluate him. He’s doing better, but I don’t want ot set him back. He’s played in the league before, so its not like he doesn’t know how to play the game, but I want to play him Thursday if I get the chance.

Spears play on Thursday?
    He’ll get more than a chance.

Tyson Thompson – testing his heart with the workload?
    I wasn’t looking at it that way, but there is a mental thing with being a RB in this league. Certain things that I believe in at that position. So I do it the same way with eveyrone, and the ones that can deal with it turn out to be pretty good. He was kind of looking like he might want to come out, but he didn’t. Julius was over there laughing at him.

Defense impressions of the game.
    The corners covered well. We still got some problems in a couple of spots that concern me a great deal. We’re improving as we go. I haven’t got all the pieces exactly set in my mind. I got moving pieces where if I do one thing it effects something else or two other things.

Do you think you have defensive firepower on this roster?
    We’ll have to see how it is when we’re really under durress. I see some of these young players ,and they do what young players do and act how young players act. They don’t know what it takes to play in this game. They’re learning, but they don’t know what it takes. It’s a process, it really is. You see characteristics in them that they’ll have to get rid of to be successful.

Are you more optimistic that you can get turnovers when you see a young player like Burnett naturally strip the ball from the QB rather than just go for the sack.

That was a good play, but for everyone one of those he had about 5 bad plays. On that bootleg on 3rd and two, sucked down on the run and let the QB get outside of him for about 15 yards. Those things can cost you the game.

Do you think the defense will be improved from last year? Secondary should be, just the coverage ability of the CB position alone. I don’t know if Anthony, Terrence or Aaron or Jaque Reeves will be injured or what, but just off the top they look better.

Does the 3-4 scheme produce more turnovers?
    No. I wouldn’t say that. If you got good players in the scheme, that’s what produces turnovers

Have a set role for Anthony Thomas?
    I’m trying to figure that out exactly. We have a few moving parts there, especially with Tyson being a surprise. Then you have the FB position in how it relates to the TE position. I have a set cumulative number there. I don’t really know what is going to happen yet. I’m not sure. The main question I have to answer is who goes in if Julius can’t play. I don’t have an answer to that yet.

Tyson surprised you enough to get 6-10 carries a game in the regular season?
    If it was just about running the ball, that might be the case. But unless he can do some other things in addition to 6-10 carries, he wont go to the games. That long punt return they ran against us the other night … that was a little of his work. I thought he did a little better kick returning the other night, but its got to be more than that. If you’re a back up RB, you can’t just be over there as an insurance back. The past couple of years I’ve had backs who don’t participate in special teams, and I don’t like that. I want to change it. When you look at a lot of the teams we play, their backup RB’s are their key special teams players.

Barber’s foot?
    Its basically a cut or wound. Its not a structural injury. I don’t know what is going to happen on Thursday, I don’t have any answers for you right now.

Antony Thomas contribute on special teams?
    He’ll be on kickoff returns, but he needs to be on something else. I think he’ll do whatever it takes to play. That’s one advantage Anthony has over these young kids, he knows he’s got to be something else. He knows he can’t just stand over there on the sidelines as an insurance policy.

Young players show you some ability to play with pain?
    Pettiti turned his ankle, but would not come out of the game. Ware got hit in the back, but he stayed in. TT got hit in the ribs, and we just kept getting him the ball.

Keith Davis at FS?
    He’s improving every week. Every week. That’s a good sign. But we put him in a couple of punt teams, and he didn’t do so well. We got a couple of key contributors to our special teams in the past who now are playing more on defense who don’t seem to feel like its necessary to put the same amount of effort into special teams anymore. We had a little meeting about that this morning.

5 or 6 crunching hits in the game? Are you glad to see that?
    There’s a lot in every game. I’m happy to see our safeties are good hitters. Its apparent on film to teams we’re playing against.

Centers?
    Both did alright. Andre did a good job. Its still neck and neck. I want to use every player I can that can play and I have confidence in. If a guy is working hard and deserves to play, I’ll get him in the game. I’m not saying I’ll rotate them or how I’ll rotate them, but I’m just saying both guys are doing well. Andre is doing very well, and he’s earned my trust at center and its my mistake that I didn’t put him over there last year.

Pettiti won the RT job?
    No. I’m not ready to tell you that yet, and I don’t even know if its true.

You said you wanted the backup QB settled by the 3rd game the other night.
    Well, maybe it is. Not saying it is, but maybe it is. Just hypothetical.

Would you like to get Henson some playing time on Thursday?
    I want to get Henson some playing time on Thursday, but I might not be able to.

Why are you so reluctant to talk about the backup QB sitaution?
    Because that’s all you guys have wanted to talk about since last spring. I’m not ready to decide yet. I don’t need to decide.

5 things you said you wanted to improve on, and one of them was 3rd down conversion. It was bad against the Texans.

When we didn’t have a penaltiy or a minus play, we scored. Our 3rd down conversion rate will not be improved when its 3rd and 20, 3rd and 14. One three of those long 3rd downs situation we ran the ball because it was prohibitied yardage and we picked up 8 or 9 yards and it helps the field position. It forces them to get another first down to score. Until we keep from getting the minus plays, our 3rd down conversions will not be good. As far as other keys …. We’re not turning the ball over much ,and we’re creating turnovers. That’s good. That alone will win you games. The 3rd downs will only improve when the negative play stop. Against AZ we had 6 negative plays. Against Seattle we had 1 negative play. Texans we had 2. 2 too many. We had one run thrown for a 7 yard loss.

Is that the best thing you’ve seen from Bledsoe this preseason is that he doesn’t have a INT?
    You can’t judge that in preseason. The time you got to cut down interceptions is when you’re behind and pressing to catch up. That’s when bad things happen. If you don’t have to press to catch up or close in the score, you can play and manage the game. When you’re down by 3 scores, its very difficult.

You said you wanted to see more from Bledsoe last week.
    I wasn’t being critical, but I just wanted to see him loosen up a little bit and get a better feel. His head is in the game, very much. He’s got ideas and lobbying, but just run your team. And he did a pretty good job once he got started the other night.

Seems you had problems picking up the blitz?
    We had 2 mental errors and had a couple of hot WR’s. We’ll block the blitz. They blitzed on the pass Terry Glenn caught for a substantial gain. One of Crayton’s big catches was a blitz, so its not like they weren’t paying for it. But what we’re seeing more and more in this league is the blitzing on running downs. I’ll have to start practicing more against that. You don’t really simulate it much in pratice, because its disruptive to practice and it creates a lot of trainwrecks.

You said the key to getting more turnovers is to get better players. Do you see more of those type players?
    Potentially. Yes. But, you just got to find out where their heart is and can they suck it up. It’s a grind in the 4th quarter. You see a lot of things in those situations. That was really our first hot game. It effects you. That’s one reason I left those guys in there for a while.

Beriault knee?
    He’s had the most extended rest of this summer. He’ll practice today. I would say how his knee reacts this week will determine whether we think we can get ahead of that or not. Carson’s knee we know he’s ahead of that now. We got Thornton is that mix too.

If Quincy Morgan is not a 3rd guy, can he play enough special teams to earn a roster spot?
    That’s a good question. You have to decide what you want from your 4th or 5th guy. What do you want primarily to accomplish with that spot? What roles do I need filled. There’s jobs to fill, who can fill them? The puzzle is bigger than just that one spot. If nobody from that position can do it, you have to keep another player at another spot who can do it.

Crowder make the team with special teams?
    Crowder has to improve his tackling on special teams. He’s fast and visible, but he got killed the other night. He drew a couple of penalties. He lunges and dives indescriminately into space. That’s a fundamental flaw. He’ll dive at the ball carrier from way on out. He needs to close on the ball carrier before he dives. I got several offensive players who do that. He made a play as a WR, that’s good, but he’s not a finished product there. He needs to do better mentally too. He gets mixed up sometime. Anybody would like his speed and coverage ability, but what good does it do you when you can’t make any plays? I’m not being overly critical of him. Its what I told him in the meeting.

Would you only take 4 WR’s
    I could take 5 if they ‘re both giving him 20 plays on special teams. One of the good things we have is some candidates at the WR who can do that.

Do you have someone who can fill in for Julius at RB?
    I think we should be better at that position with depth. I don’t know how much. I think we have a chance. I have more candidates to run the ball as an option than we did last year. Its only a strenght if these young kids grow up very very quickly. Barber is hurt now, that’s not good. I was wanting to put him into the sawmill Seattle, and hopefully I can do it again on Thursday. I put Tyson through the sawmill against the Texans.

Does the length of Barber’s injury impact your decision?
    Yeah. The point is not how long it will take. It doesn’t take a cut forever to heal. Its having confidence in a rookie that he can play when he has done nothing to demonstrate that he can.

You said you kneel the ball at halftime if you’re getting the ball back in the 3rd quarter. You didn’t this week.

Not the same situation, it was 24 yard diference in field position. We had the ball on the 26 last week. We had the ball on the 44 this week. That’s a substantial difference in field positon. We only had to go 25 or 30 yards to get in field goal range. If we would have had Henson in that situation, I wouldn’t have kneeled the ball on our own 44.

Antony Lynn back?
    He’s here, and seems to be doing better. All of my interns have gone home now, but they all did a good job for me this summer. I got a couple of guys there who are capable of coaching in this league.

Walter and Noll?
    Walther didn’t play much. I wanted to see Walter a little bit as a left tackle, but didn’t because Kurt was doing a good job. Noll played better than the week before.