1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Pearson - John Garrett applied for the Delaware HC job

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by kjcmeb, Jan 15, 2013.

1. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,364 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Yeh who wouldn't want a pay cut.

:laugh2:
  2. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,236 Messages
    1,879 Likes Received
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,236 Messages
    1,879 Likes Received
    nice backtrack
  4. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,748 Messages
    1,328 Likes Received
    What on Earth are you talking about? What year are you saying he regressed from? Like I said I have no idea what you are talking about.

It's not like I didn't say that he wasn't injured. You really going to try and argue that he was better two years ago than he was this year?

Cause his rookie year he was hurt and the year after he came back from injury he was still stiff and not moving well. I don't see why you think he peaked two years ago.
  5. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,384 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Wasn't Phillips involved in a play where the defender had to choose between guarding the TE or Tony?

It was one of my favorite plays of the year, but how many passes was this offense going to throw to the TE position?

Should we throw to Hanna or Phillips, or throw to Witten?

Toby Gerhart should complain about Minnesota using Peterson too much.
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

15,748 Messages
    1,328 Likes Received
    So lets sum up.

WE passed with a very good YPA but he gets no credit for that despite being passing game coordinator.

Witten had his best year and he gets no credit for that despite being his coach.

Phillips somehow was better two years ago than he was last year on what basis I have no idea.

Hannah, a 6th rounder, being one of the more productive TE's in his class and seemed to solve the drop problems he had at OU that means nothing.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    So he was the idiot that kept calling sideline passes when the middle of the field was open all night against Washington?
  8. FuzzyLumpkins

15,748 Messages
    1,328 Likes Received
    We both know who the playcaller was. I'm just saying what his duties were and how the performances were.
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    I honestly have no idea if the guy is a good coach or not. Heck I could coach Witten and he would still be an All Pro.

There was talk that Hannah was a little slow picking up the offense. I'm not sure who thats on.

Like CL, i've heard that he isn't very well liked at Valley Ranch. I don't know the reasons for him not be very well liked. I think there was speculation that his brother listens to him a lot more than people think he should.

Whatever though. If Garrett thinks his brother gives him the best opportunity for success than I guess im all for it next season. I'd like no excuses for these Garrett's if we have another lethargic performance with our offense.

I'm sure having a new Defensive Coordinator will probably end up being the excuse though.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    It isn't creating a problem now. What problem do you see? Please don't say 8-8, or 16 years blah blah blah, because those are results, not problems. Tell me what his brother being on the staff damages that is not happening in other NFL locations. Educate me.

Bottom line, you're mad and grasping at straws trying to find one to be mad at. This is plain silly. Either you hate "cronyism" and make it universal, or you are mad and looking for anything, no matter how petty, to fuel the anger.
  11. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, considering the passing yardage has always been impressive with Romo at the helm, even when John Garrett never set foot in this organization, one can pretty much assume John Garrett didn't play that much significance in the yardage factor that the QB did...

Basic logic...
  12. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This OL was getting trashed prior to the insertion of Romo as QB, when Parcells finally benched Bledsoe. Everybody was arguing this OL was garbage and the reason for the Cowboys offense not doing well.

It was so bad, Parcells buddies had to come down on the sidelines during the Panthers game in which Romo got his first start. This offense has been moving the mall since Romo has been QB... Without Romo, this offense would be a laughing stock, especially with the gurus running the show now.
  13. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But let's get back to the point...

John Garrett, per reports, is APPLYING for a job, probably for a pay-cut at a small school. The people are not coming to him asking him to take a job, based upon his potential.

Like I said, the Garrett homer spin is hilarious. I remember a certain poster telling us how he'd be a head coach somewhere as evidence of his 'genius'. I guess this is what he meant.
  14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    First off I am not going to pretend to know how good a coach John Garrett is or isn't. I also have no clue if he has helped in the development of our team because Witten has been a pretty big stud and I haven't seen a lot from anyone else.

But to just answer the bolded as to cronyism within any team and specifically here: a) It hurts a team if he isn't a good coach and isn't doing his job but is retaining his job just because of his familial ties. That is pretty simple for starters b) what if he, as a coach, has more input into the gameplan, etc(being in the HC's ear) vs others who may be more qualified. c) what if he is making personnel decisions with the HC based on his closeness to the coach? Again, not saying these are happening but they easily could due to a familial relationship. If your in coach mode and you trust your brother more than other staffers then there could be an issue, plain and simple.

As for this whole thing. I think it is being overblown but it does lend some credence to the fact that they don't want him on the staff anymore..that this was conveyed and now he is looking.
  15. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Having your brother on staff can be good or bad. If he is a great coach, it can be a good thing and can do a good job of being a truth teller to the boss. It is very easy for head coaches to surround themselves with other coaches that won't check or vet their ideas.

It can also create resentment on a staff if he is the idiot brother that only has a job because of his relation with his brother. It can be tough if he always has the last word with his brother when the other assistants are better coaches with better ideas.

I have no idea which model John Garret fits under or something entirely different. I can tell that Jerry is not happy with Martellus becoming a good receiving option for the Giants to go along with elite run blocking. Martellus not being here had a negative effect on our run game.
  16. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Every coach on Offense has input into the game plan. Every coach on Defense has input into the game plan. Why do people assume Head Coaches and Coordinators do not listen to their staff?

I told people a over year ago that Wes Phillips, then a Quality Control Coach, which is way low on the totem pole, was a tremendous asset on this team. This year he got "promoted" to Assistant OL. I won't be shocked if he gets "promoted" again if John Garrett leaves.

Wes has "it." He was advised by his Dad to stay on staff and learn from Jason Garrett. The Cowboys feel very lucky to have him.

If you buy the rumors of John Garrett being forced out then you buy that. I don't, never have, and I have my reasons.
  17. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,160 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    If Jerry is so upset by "the player from A&M" not developing, then why didn't he resign him and fire John Garrett last year? Jerry has been known to do his own thing.
  18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    That's fine! Again, I'm not going to pretend I have knowledge of John G or that I know what goes on at VR with Jason and John. Just writing how I think cronyism can be perceived by others and even other coaches. You asked what it could damage and I think those things pointed out could be negatives in the wrong situation.
  19. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,566 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    When a guy is applying for a job that pays less and is in an inferior program, I think that counters what you are trying to portray.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,643 Messages
    4,516 Likes Received
    At some point, we'll have hired our new offensive coaches, and it'll be clear what the plan was, all along. Then we'll be able to decouple the notion that we can tell what the team thinks about a coach just by how a small sample of his players develop over time.

There's so much more that goes into evaluating the job a coach does during the season. Player development is one thing (and in the case of our TEs, I can't fathom how it would be a negative). Preparedness, contributions in film and planning sessions. Compatibility with the rest of the staff. There's so much that goes into building an organization like a coaching staff, it's silly to think it comes down to something like how Martellus Bennett plays in NY when he gets a lot more opportunities.

The notion that Jerry is defanging JG by firing his brother is preposterous. It would indicate organizational dysfunction on a level we haven't seen any indication of in this coaching staff. What's much more likely is that we're juggling the organization of our offensive coaching staff in some significant way to make room for an addition, and it effectively eliminated the RB coaching and TE coaching positions.

Perhaps the coach in question is still playing. Or perhaps there's another reason for the delay that we don't understand yet. But, when it's all said and done, this juggling of position coaches for a few weeks is going to look a lot less like chaos and a lot more like the brief adjustment period it actually probably is. Fans won't remember that, though, because they for some reason prefer to see only the downside of the current organization and seem to want to believe the problem in Dallas is with the coaching.