1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Pelosi suggests Waco Democrat for Obama's running mate

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 25, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,324 Messages
    4,292 Likes Received
    June 25, 2008, 12:50AM
    VP talk sparks interest in Waco's Rep. Edwards

By RICHARD S. DUNHAM
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON — There's a Texas lawmaker being talked up as a 2008 vice-presidential candidate in the nation's capital, and it's not the usual suspect, Republican Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison.

The Texan in question is Democratic Rep. Chet Edwards of Waco, a political moderate and a respected Capitol Hill voice on veterans issues.

Edwards' most powerful backer is House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., who on Tuesday urged Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama to consider Edwards for the No. 2 slot on the presidential ticket.

Members of the Texas congressional delegation and Lone Star State Democrats quickly joined the Edwards boomlet after Pelosi, a liberal from San Francisco, told a Newsweek reporter that the Texan was the best potential candidate from the House of Representatives.

"Chet Edwards is a person that many of us think would be a good person to have in the mix," Pelosi told Newsweek's TamCam video blog. "We want the House in the mix, as well."

Edwards, 56, would bring some political assets to a national ticket. The Waco Democrat is experienced on national security issues, knows how to win votes in Republican territory and is telegenic.

Many Democrats would relish the irony of having George W. Bush's own congressman — who has defeated a string of well-financed GOP challengers — on their national ticket.

Edwards, chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, said he was "humbled that (Pelosi) and others would suggest that the Obama campaign consider me for their VP list."

richard.dunham@chron.com
  2. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    More likely it'll be just another Wacko Democrat.
  3. lewpac

lewpac Benched

1,465 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is there any other kind????
  4. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,019 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Nobody running for president this year is as wacko as the crew we've had. So we are at least safer there....
  5. arglebargle

5,019 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    I expect it will be a white male ex-general. That's who I would pick, strictly on the political balance sheet.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,754 Messages
    2,054 Likes Received
    A token white guy who has a military background? :laugh2:
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,378 Messages
    3,635 Likes Received
    So you are thinking it is Clark?
  8. arglebargle

5,019 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    I think he is a very strong contender. Don't know all the other politico Generals out there, but he has strong name ID. Expecially if he wasn't completely incompetant when out in the field.

I don't think Powell is a possibility (though I would vote for him), and Petraeus still has work to do....