1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Dallas, Nov 9, 2011.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,565 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    I've read a lot on this trick, and I've not yet come to that conclusion.
  2. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,845 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    OK except that's not what I said so I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth and completely misstate my position.

Please respond to the statements I actually made. Don't put words in my mouth and respond to the things you're pretending I've said.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Sure you did. you said all things being equal a hiring manager would say "PSU isn't a nice school, so I'll go with the other guy."
  4. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,845 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    No that's not what I said. I never said "PSU graduates are going to have a hard time getting jobs" and I certainly never said the words you attributed to me in quotes. The fact that you are putting words I never said (especially in quotes) shows the bankrupcy of your position.

What I said was the if all other things between 2 candidates were equal, Penn State will very likely take a step back in the eyes of some when compared to other comparable schools. The only thing moronic is the notion that you can somehow speak on behalf of counteless thousands of hiring managers from coast to coast and say you represent every singe one of them and that not a single one could possibly ever feel a little less respect for PSU.
  5. 2233boys

2233boys Benched

2,283 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes you did originally. It is exactly what you said.

See your two back to back posts

6. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yes. You did say that!
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    That is absurd, at best.
  8. 2233boys

2233boys Benched

2,283 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Even better example mine left weasel room
  9. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    No need to poke the bear. Arguing about semantics or what was intended is silly at this point.

We know what happened. We know PSU will pay a huge penalty for what they did.

We also know who took what side when this story broke. Arguing with someone that is pissed off because someone he believed in is less than envinsioned does not serve a purpose.
  10. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,845 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Newsflash: saying "a degree from PSU isn't worth as much as it was last week" is not the same as saying "a degree from Penn State is worthless."

It's obvious that people in here don't have the first clue how human resources operates at large corporations where if you're applying for an entry level job, you're lucky if your resume gets 2 seconds worth of HR's attention.

You guys don't think that HR personnel are concerned with the prestige and reputation of an institution that an applicant attended? You guys don't think that hiring personnel have their own little biases and prejudices? You don't think there are any HR employees anywhere in the country who may have been a bit put off by what happened at Penn State over the past week and will, perhaps subconciously, look slightly less favorably at that institution than they did last week?

If you have some HR person who went to A&M and he's got two resumes on his desk, one from Texas, one from A&M, you don't think he's going to give an oh-so-slight advantage to the Aggie? That sort of thing happens ALL THE TIME, especially when considering entry level jobs.
  11. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,845 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Well said. And I shall let this be the last I have to remark on this particular "employment" sidebar within the Paterno-related discussion.
  12. 2233boys

2233boys Benched

2,283 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    News flash, you are wrong. Your opinion is stupid. A degree from PSU isn't going to be worth less because of what happened in the football program. What you are saying is idiotic.
  13. 2233boys

2233boys Benched

2,283 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because you are are wrong? Good call.
  14. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,938 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    I read something today where some PSU students lost thier internships because the companies did not want to be associated with the university's scandal.
  15. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,150 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    And recruits are having second thoughts as well.
  16. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,845 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Sounds to me like people at Penn State are very much afraid of the same thing I said above about jobs. Go figure.

"All this rioting and child sex abuse has the university's career services center concerned that students are going to have a tough time getting internships and job opportunities, and they have issued a letter with advice on how to address the issues in an interview."
  17. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    While I do not agree with everything Rogah has said, your response lacks maturity.

Of course Penn State will take a hit reputation wise. Will it result in Penn State grads making less money? Maybe. They are not doing a damn thing to help themselves. Their behavior has been deplorable. Would I hold the systematic cover up of a serial child rapist against the average student? No. Will the fact that the students supported and encouraged a system that allowed this to occur cross my mind when I am comparing job applications? Yes.
  18. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Paterno Handed House Over to Wife for $1 Months Ago

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-Over-to-Wife-for-1-Months-Ago-133955308.html
  19. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This is nothing new with that house. I'm sure if you can find records that house has been sold and resold within the family for years for different reasons. Paterno told me once when I was at the house when I complimented him on it he said, "I'm not even sure it's mine. It might be my wife's or my kids because we have sold it a few times."

I thought maybe he was in financial trouble but he said it was part of his retirement program. I don't know if he was taking out mortgages or what. Also, I imagine it was his wife's brother (I think) that suggested this. He told me that he handled most of their financial affairs.
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received