1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recommended People aren't really familiar with Romo's contract

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,351 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    Any way you slice it, it was a stupid move to give him the contract. He's not a $100+ million QB, not at his age, not when the team clearly needed to be rebuilt two years ago.
    The Natural likes this.
  2. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,499 Messages
    2,912 Likes Received
    Of course the elephant in the room is who replaces Romo.

Pointless to release him before we a replacement on the roster
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    Why was it stupid? It's not like he is going to see all the money.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,572 Messages
    2,434 Likes Received
    Careful, you are so far over his head with comment that he may never come back.
  5. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I don't know about ticket sales but Dallas grossed over 500m last year.
  6. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Exactly, the last 2 years and 40m aren't real. They are there to absorb the pro-rations, just like Ware.
  7. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,230 Messages
    1,439 Likes Received
    If you compare Romo's stats with Brady's you see that they are extremely comparable despite the fact that Brady has historically had one of the best offensive lines, whereas Romo has had one of the worst.
  8. daveferr33

daveferr33 Well-Known Member

441 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    Not disagreeing.

But the Cowboys had no choice. They were tight against the cap and needed to sign Romo a year early just to get some cap relief.

Remember, the Cowboys only had $51,005 of cap room before Romo’s new deal. His contract gave the Cowboys $5 million of much needed cap relief immediately by lowering Romo’s 2013 cap number from $16,818,835 to $11,818,835.

If the Cowboys had managed the cap better, we would be sitting here with a soon to be 34 year old free agent quarterback coming off back surgery. My guess is he would be commanding much less than he did last spring.

Mismanagement of the cap has real world consequences.
  9. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

3,259 Messages
    2,139 Likes Received
    You knew Spencer was gong to require microfacture surgery?

Can you give me the perfect bracket so I can win 1 billion dollars please?
  10. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Compare our OL and receiving corp to NEs, do I need to tell you who's better?
    Brady gets the ball out to his primary into tight windows, something tony cannot do
    What happens if Romo's accuracy is worse this year and for whatever reason he cannot continue, how great is this contract then?
  11. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,170 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    This stuff is all part of the team. You can't separate it and for the most part QB is going to be your main personnel expense; if you have a franchise QB....or if you think you have one. There's a lot of nuances to that. That allocation of resources affects your acquisition of more talent and keeping what you have. So I don't understand why you think that's not a concern. Perhaps I'm not getting the point though.
  12. jobberone

39,170 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    Where in the heck did you get the information to come to this conclusion? Brady has a better INT%.

Brady has a 63% Cmp%, 2.0 INT%, and 7.5 YPC.
    Romo is at a 64.6% Cmp%, 2.7 INT% and 7.8 YPC.

Brady's advanced passing stats are:

96-123 Cmp%
    104-129 INT%
    86-125 Sack%
    102-148 Rate

Romo:

101-128 Cmp%
    88-128 INT%
    98-123 Sack%
    106-123 Rate

As you can see their numbers are similar and except one year living in another galaxy Brady's been about the same as Romo. He's just played on better teams and I would say the stats don't show you the big rutrows which I think Romo has a few more than Brady. But don't think that Brady doesn't have his share. Also I didn't throw it up there but Romo and Brady are the same with 4th QCBs. Brady avgs about 3.5 GWDs per year and Romo 2.9.

Putting the ball into tight spaces is subjective although I think a good observer can comment on it but only after looking at a lot of tape and knowing the route that was supposed to be run. Romo is a tad bit more accurate than Brady overall but your comment is more subjective for a fan.
    dstovall5 likes this.
  13. 44cowboys22

44cowboys22 Active Member

229 Messages
    36 Likes Received

Basically his contract is what it is..... The Broncos pay #18 $20mil.....Pats pay Brady etc etc etc. I hardly ever hear a peep from those boards about how they are strapped by the QB's contract. On here, it's like the pink elephant in the room.

Did we overpay Romo to the point we can't operate? No....
    jobberone likes this.
  14. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    really, I watch a lot of tape also and if you're talking throws over 10yds (in the air) Romo's accuracy isn't close, plus his receivers make spectacular catches. Not to mention defenders are closing on his throws over 10yds at a alarming rate. if you watch tape as you say, you must see this, if you don't, well that's okay. GWD is a nice stat, but I think failure on those same situations might be a bit more telling, and BTW 3.5 vs 2.9 are NOT the same.

As far as the tight spaces, some QB's will throw a ball with a 1/2 yd of daylight and some cannot. It's not too subjective. Romo no longer tries too.
  15. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,143 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    I knew he wasn't worth 10 million for the second year in a row...
  16. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I knew Brett Favre wasn't gonna get the Vikes to the SB but he was worth the money to them anyway just to increase their odds and because he was the best option at the time.
  17. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,897 Messages
    1,001 Likes Received
    Nice delusional scouting report. Stick to Madden.
  18. jobberone

39,170 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    I didn't say I watched tape on him and I haven't this last year. But you can't say his passes aren't accurate if he's more accurate than Brady who was your standard. Throws over 8 years for Romo and 12 for Brady should have evened out with opponents play and such.

I did say you would have to watch the tape AND know the route the receiver was supposed to run before you can say what you're espousing.

As far as you knowing Romo isn't trying to throw the ball into tight windows then you'd have to know him which you don't. As far as seeing the ball get where it needs to be then I'll let his accuracy stats speak for themselves.

Having said all that I think Romo doesn't see the field in the pocket as well as I'd like. I won't be too definite with that as I'm not standing back there and being pressured. And i don't have any knowledge of the play called or where the receivers are supposed to be. Romo is going to look where he thinks the receiver should be based on HIS read of the defense pre-snap. The receiver has to be on the same page. And defenses are NOT going to be where you thought they'd be because they changed it up to confuse everyone.

You're welcome to your opinion and mind is no better than yours. These are the reasons why I think the way I do.
  19. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,080 Messages
    977 Likes Received
    Awesome post! Thanks for sharing!
    jobberone likes this.
  20. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,676 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I don't think Romo has more than two season left in him to be honest. He is a beaten soldier. He has been pounded on week in and week out for the past several seasons and it is starting to take its toll. His mobility has decreased, arm strength decreased and he now looks gun shy at times in the pocket. I never saw him be that way before.

He is a tough SOB but a body can only take so much.
    jobberone likes this.