1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Per Mort: Chip Kelly is the new Coach of the Eagles

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Bowdown27, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,522 Messages
    887 Likes Received
    Can't be any worse than Jerry's stepson we have as coach or our defensive coordinator we just signed.
  2. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,034 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    this is getting a blown way out of proportion
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,094 Messages
    4,434 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  4. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,237 Messages
    865 Likes Received
    There's a difference between playing fast and actually being fast. Not that any of Oregon's players are SLOW, but again, they weren't all track stars, but they learned to PLAY fast and uptempo. I don't anticipate Kelly will have any trouble finding 4.4-4.5 speed guys to fit his offense within the next couple of years.

Look how much success New England using some of Oregon's offense and they have nobody on offense I'd consider a burner.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,560 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    NE runs the closest thing to Kelly's offense right now in pro football. It works well in NE becaus of who is pulling the trigger. Egirls dont have that right now.
  6. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

855 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    Holy crap that made me choke on my breakfast. Lmao. And I love your sig FYI
  7. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,673 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    College coaches to the NFL don't have a great track record.

The best are Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer in Dallas. Bill Walsh in San Francisco, but he was an NFL assistant before being a coach at Stanford then taking the San Fran job. Carroll again also similar to Walsh but he didn't do well as an NFL coach before going to college then coming back to the NFL. He was an NFL guy originally. Then one more in John McKay who built the Bucs from expansion to a decent team in the late 70s and early 80s. Outside of those 5 it's hard to come up with guys that have succeeded in the pros after the jump.

Spurrier failed in the NFL
    Lou Holtz was 3-13 in his only pro season with the Jets
    Bud Wilkinson had like 9 wins in 2 years with the St. Louis Cardinals, although he had been out of coaching for 15 years.
    Lane Kiffin, Nick Saben, Butch Davis, Bobby Petrino, Dennis Erickson, that's just a few I can think of.
  8. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,678 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Put coach Garrett?

What do you mean by put coach Garrett? :eek::
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I did, thought I cleared that up somewhere.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,972 Messages
    9,067 Likes Received
    I'm trying to imagine what would be fun about watching him succeed in Philly.

I got nothing.
  11. DOUBLE WING

3,237 Messages
    865 Likes Received
    FYI, per Werder, so not sure of the accuracy, but: Kelly's offense at Oregon averaged 601 yards per game and 50 points per game against Monte Kiffin's D at USC.
  12. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    This isn't a comment on Eagles v Cowboys in future but the Kelly offense

I think it can work. The NFL evolves. Look at Russell Wilson and Colin K. No one thought a decade or so ago that upwards of 10 QBs would get close to 5000 yards. People are still talking like hurry up offenses are "gimmicky" when in all actuality they are becoming more of a norm. It won't be right away but offenses are finding better ways to attack defenses that got bigger and stronger. We've seen a transition from 1 main RB getting 20-25 carries to RBBC. I definitely can see a time when offenses go to something like Kelly runs. Defenses will catch up. And then we will see another trend. Its the evolution of the league. Especially now with the new DB rules and non-intimidating hits allowed on WRs.
  13. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    This guy doesn't exude leadership. His system is Mike Martz' with a sacrificial quarterback.

Bad hire.
  14. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    Which means absolutely nothing. That was college.

How'd Steve Spurrier do?
  15. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

807 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Scary. He's actually is a numbers guy and goes for it on fourth down fairly appropriately.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    I think that, though difficult, the no huddle thing can work. The flaw in Kelly's offense is that it is totally based on speed and misdirection and they rarely have situations, like a 3rd and long, where they would need to huddle and get into a certain formation or play. You simply can not do that in the NFL.
  17. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,115 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    Sorry. Out coach Garrett. :)
  18. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I was at that game in November

USC literally had no ability to adjust to anything Oregon did.

I am looking forward to this. Should be a dynamic new innovation and makes the division even more interesting
  19. DOUBLE WING

3,237 Messages
    865 Likes Received
    How'd Jim Harbaugh do? How'd Pete Carroll do? How'd Jimmy Johnson do?
  20. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,583 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    actually this is one of the dumbest things I have read today.

a college coach with limited experience can be worse then a 72 year old coach with skins on the wall.