1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Per Mort: Chip Kelly is the new Coach of the Eagles

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Bowdown27, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,654 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    And I'm sure that will translate to the NFL as well. :rolleyes:
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,084 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Not good for us...not good at all. The NFL is changing, Chip Kelly is perfect for the new generation of NFL offenses :(
  3. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,345 Messages
    349 Likes Received
    So, does that mean Michael Vick stays with the eagles?

Or, do they draft Geno Smith in the 1st rd?

Or, do they just go with Foles?

Perhaps Alex Smith?
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,935 Messages
    977 Likes Received
    Those guys have tremendous presence. Chip Kelly looks like the guy at Jiffy Lube.

Look at Chip Kelly. Doesn't exude leadership, culture, organizational skills. Just a typical, ordinary coach.

He can't cheat in the pros with recruiting. He doesn't have those 57 Oregon uniforms that all the 17-year-old kids love. He can't play sissy Pac-10 defenses every week.
  5. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,917 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    To that extreme? Maybe not. But the NFL is clearly moving in the direction of the kind of offense Kelly pioneered at Oregon. I'm sure he sat back and watched what Kaepernick did to GB and thought "Oh crap, I can dominate the NFL".
  6. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

5,950 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    I think it's a great move. A gamble, yes. But i think it's worth it.

Spurrier's problem was his unwillingness to adjust. He thought he could round up all his U. of Florida of players, implement his system and have an offensive juggernaut. When that didn't happen and he got his teeth kicked in, he basically gave up and checked out. Chip Kelly doesn't appear to have that type of attitude, but we'll see...
  7. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,935 Messages
    977 Likes Received
    No it's not, unless you want to carry five quarterbacks on your roster because they keep getting maimed.

Defensive coordinators are going to work on the read option all offseason, and the quarterback running it is going to get face-planted every time he runs it, handoff or not.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,853 Messages
    1,778 Likes Received
    Did any of those coaches run anything that was not seen as a normal system in NFL terms?

Spurrier might be a good comparison because many did not think his system would work well in the NFL.

Some question if Kelly's system would work in the NFL.
  9. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,034 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    I've always said the same about Mike Mcarthy... He looks/sounds like a truck driver.

Looks don't tell you a whole lot.
  10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,935 Messages
    977 Likes Received
    What is Kelly without that offense? He's John Garrett.
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,394 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    The key to beating Kelly's offense at Oregon was to be better in the trenches. Usually only happened when he went up against an SEC team. They got penetration and disrupted the offense.
  12. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Member

915 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I disagree completely. Today's game is moving towards these types of offense and this type of pace. I recently read an article that talked about Moore, Peyton Manning's old OC from Indy, he went into detail of the DIG play they used to great success and how simple it was. They fell back onto the DIG play over and over to get out of difficult situations. The Broncos are now using a similar play with the same concept called DAG.

The days of a 900 page playbook where a team wouldn't even use a quarter of it and only a handful of plays are consistently effective are over. The best coaches take their best plays, and they run it until you can stop it. This season we've seen how undisciplined defenses have been burned, and the high number of undisciplined defenses has been alarming. I think Kelly's offense can be effective, although he will have to make some adjustments to remain competitive.
  13. DOUBLE WING

2,917 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    Yeah, because Bill Belichick looks like General freaking Schwarzkopf right? Give me a break.

That bolded part is so ridiculous. Please give me some examples of how Chip Kelly doesn't "exude leadership, culture, organizational skills". Please tell me how you can make a statement like that, especially considering you've likely never spent any time around the man or his program.
  14. DOUBLE WING

2,917 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    Is his system really all that abnormal now? When the best coach in the league visits him to figure out how to translate his offense to the NFL, it may be time to realize that it isn't some out of left field concept, but actually the future of the NFL.
  15. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,530 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    You mean SEC doesn't cheap on reruiting?:lmao2:

Oregon sure played Alabama hell of a lot closer than Notre Dame in Championship games.

I don't know how he will do in NFL but I wouldn't sell him short. Anyone who has the guts to try a new type of offense that has been nothing short of dominating is worthy of some respect.
  16. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

6,893 Messages
    201 Likes Received

Chip Kelly could end up being the Jimmy Johnson that Jason Garrett will never be.
  17. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Active Member

1,214 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Awesome quote!

Chip Kelly's success in the NFL will depend much more on the Eagles acquiring talent, his defense playing well, and Chip's ability to adjust when the NFL adjusts to him.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,853 Messages
    1,778 Likes Received
    Until someone runs a college spread offense (passing or running version) with regular success than YES it is abnormal right now.

Either way I was talking about the comparison to coaches who ran normal systems vs those that run systems that are not the norm and no matter how you try to frame it...at this time his system is not the norm in the NFL even if people take pieces of it here and there.

Now 5-10 years from now it might be the norm as fewer and fewer teams are running normal offenses in the college ranks as more move towards spread offenses and that could mean there will be a shortage of pro style QBs and QBs who can only thrive in a spread system.

But again...my main point I was making still stands at this time.
  19. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Active Member

1,533 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Pete Carroll was not an NCAA coach who made the transition to the NFL. He was a long-time NFL assistant, who had been an NFL head coach twice before he ever went to USC. And even then, it took until his third season in Seattle to get a winning record.
  20. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,042 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Remember the Wild Cat-fad? Exactly. A fad. Defenses evolve and adapt. Nice try though.