1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Per Mort: Chip Kelly is the new Coach of the Eagles

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Bowdown27, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    The problem I have with Kelly's offense is not its simplicity, I think simple offenses can work - though the best (GB, NE, NO) are very complex. My issue with his offense is that it is predicated entirely on speed. They line up and essentially say things like "our RBs will beat your LBs to the edge every time." In college that idea works, and it frees up lots of other opportunities...it won't in the NFL.
  2. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,267 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    Well, I would argue that New England pretty much ran an Air Raid type offense back when Brady threw 50 TD's and they went 18-0. Whatever year that was, 2010?

What's clear to me is that there is a spot in the NFL for an offense like Kelly's. You're seeing a lot more teams running spread variations and certainly a lot of teams borrowing concepts of the pistol and zone read offenses.

I also wouldn't make the mistake of assuming Kelly is married to the exact system is ran at Oregon. He may have developed that because he saw nobody else was doing it. Who's to say what he has in the works for NFL defenses? All I know is the guy is an incredible offensive mind and I wouldn't bet against him figuring out how to keep NFL defenses on their toes even more than they already are.
  3. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,267 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    So do offenses. That's why you're seeing teams have so much success with new offenses like the Zone Read and Pistol. And if defenses figure that out? Someone like Chip Kelly will have the next idea to throw them off.
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
  5. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,681 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    He'd better draft a bunch of QB's..... they won't last long at the NFL level.
  6. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,681 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Hurry up and no huddle offenses have worked a lot in the NFL. The Bills went to 4 SBs with one.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    There is a difference between all of these and today's NFL. Harbaugh and Pete Carroll have NFL experience. While Jimmy Johnson didn't, he also didn't join the NFL while there was free agency. Basically, players were owned by their respective teams. They didn't have a choice who they could sign with. Jimmy could basically say and do anything he wanted to his players without worrying about them leaving in FA. (notice after FA started, Jimmy Johnson basically stunk it up down in Miami)

That isn't the case here. Kelly has absolutely no NFL experience. The way he will have to deal with players will be a completely different beast.

Second, again. He has zero NFL experience and the game is a whole lot more than the college game. The offense and defense are far more complex. If he was smart, he would hire nothing but NFL experienced coaching staff. Especially for his higher ranking coaches like coordinators and primary position coaches.
  8. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,347 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    The term football genius gets thrown around all of the time. Chip Kelly is supposed to be a football genius. Garrett was supposed to be a football genius. Same with Rob Ryan.

I think the last true football genius was Landry.

YR
  9. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

834 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    This.We are back in the 80's/90's with a new Tampa 2 which is competitive against conventional offenses. I envision Kelly will be 80 yards up the field while Kiff is calling his first substitution. Kiffs D better be in awesome shape and his packages in sync with the game or we're going to be wiped out by the 2nd quarter, much like the saint/seahawk/chig/wash games. Imagine what Ryan would do against it? Flags flying all over the field for "too many players on the field". Sensebaugh jumping around peeing his pants calling all kinds of alignments.
    I hope we play Phili later in the season. By that time their QB will be hurt and we'll get a sense of what to expect. ohhh boy.
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Someone needs to inform Seattle and Chicago that their defenses were only competitive against conventional offenses.
  11. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    I wonder if Oregon is under NCAA investigation again.
  12. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....pretty much everything you said is dead on. This magnifies the UTTER buffoonery of hiring Kiffin. Stat of the day: KELLY HUNG 62 ON GRANDPA KIFFIN THIS YEAR.....we're headed for the basement boys, that's a fact.:bang2:
  13. Naruto

Naruto Active Member

622 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Did anyone check Monte's diaper after the news broke?

This should be fun, two college offenses against a guy who had no clue how to stop them.
  14. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    With all of the turndowns as they have had I'm sure they pretty much had to give him a blank check
  15. newlander

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
  16. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,933 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    I envision we improve our interception stats against the Eagles.
  17. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,933 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    It's a little harder to stack the deck in the NFL with the salary cap.
  18. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Well-Known Member

1,269 Messages
    409 Likes Received

Man Chip Kelly lets see what he gots..........so much hype for a guy who has done so little. He never has won a title at college level either.
  19. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,851 Messages
    2,335 Likes Received
    great point
  20. newlander

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

........I don't think he'll set the league on fire: AT ALL. However, our hire of Kiffin is a JOKE and will doom this team next year. We won't win 7 games. I say 6-10 right now. I said 7-9 last year and was one game off. But then again, its' easy to predict our record: we are between 6-9 wins most every season now.