1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Per NFL Total Access: NFL To Look at Overtime Rule For the Playoffs

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by links18, Feb 27, 2010.

1. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,346 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    League supposedly considering proposal to change overtime rules for playoffs only. If first team that gets the ball scores a TD: game over. If they score a FG: other team gets a possession. If the other team scores a TD: game over. If the other team doesn't score at all: game over. If they score a FG: first team to score after that wins. Or something like that.........:confused:
  2. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    uggh. Plain stupid. Leave the stinking game alone.
  3. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,684 Messages
    408 Likes Received

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-otplayoffs022710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

4. COWBOYSNUM1

COWBOYSNUM1 Active Member

624 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Sounds too confusing.
  5. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,346 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    Is there any other sport with different rules for the post-season. By instituting a different set of rules for playoffs, wouldn't the league be admitting its regular season rules stink? :confused:
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I see where they are coming from but I don't really like it.

I especially don't like changing it for playoffs only. What if a game that would have given a team a playoff birth goes into overtime and they lose on a FG without touching the ball?

Just stupid to say its okay during a specific time of the year. Same thing with "letting them play" in regards to all the extra contact with WRs. Call the game the same one way or the other.

As far as the rule change goes, I guess it makes a little sense. If a team gets the ball first and then a cheap penalty puts them in FG range, it kind of screws the other team a little bit.

Don't really want the rule changed but at least it would be better than college.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,324 Messages
    4,470 Likes Received
    If they want to change OT then change it for all games. Making playoff games different than regular season games is going to turn people off.

Goodell = :bang2:
  8. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Why Goodell?
  9. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,684 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Overtime rules in hockey are different.

I think they should just do a full extra period like baseball does, until there's a winner.
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Leave the rules alone. They are fine the way they are.
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,324 Messages
    4,470 Likes Received
    This stupid idea is probably his.
  12. Shadowy329

Shadowy329 Member

232 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like what they would change but to make it playoffs only is stupid it needs to go in for either all the games or none at all.

I've always disliked the game going to OT and then whoever wins the coin toss playing for 30-40 yards to get into field goal range and calling it quits after that.
  13. dillinger319

dillinger319 Striped Leopard Zone Supporter

820 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—An NFL spokesman said Saturday the league could change its overtime format for playoff games at a meeting next month.

Under the new format, both teams would get the ball at least once unless the first team to get the ball scores a touchdown, Greg Aiello said. If the first team to get the ball makes a field goal and the other team ties the game, action would continue until a team scores again.

Under the current rules, the first team to score wins.

“There have been various concepts that have been discussed in recent years, but this one has never been proposed,” Aiello said.

The competition committee will discuss the new concept with teams and players at league meetings March 21-24 in Orlando, Fla., when it could come to a vote. At least two thirds of the teams would need to agree to the changes for new rules to be adopted.

The competition committee met with the players’ union and players on Thursday during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Discussion continued when the competition committee met with a general managers’ advisory committee on Friday.

The debate about the rules gained steam after the NFC championship game, when New Orleans beat Minnesota 31-28 in overtime and Brett Favre’s(notes) Vikings never got the ball in the extra period. Under the proposed rule, Minnesota would have gotten another possession because the Vikings didn’t allow a touchdown.

Overtime was adopted for regular season games in 1974, a sudden-death format that allowed games to end in a tie if neither team scored in 15 minutes. Overtime for playoff games always has been sudden death.

I think this could be good for the game... While I do like the current rule, I think this could be a great thing for the league.
  14. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I think you're advocating what I always felt made sense. Just play an entire 5th 15 min Quarter.

It's the one thing I don't like about NFL Football. Once a game gets to OT it's no longer football. It becomes something a little different.
  15. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Maybe it is but it would go to a vote, something he couldn't be blamed for.
  16. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,761 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I say in every game but the SB, just the road team the ball first.......
  17. Four

Four New Member

2,601 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    holy crap, just make it two possesions and be done with it.
  18. DallasCowboysRule!

DallasCowboysRule! Well-Known Member

1,657 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    If they're gonna change it for the playoffs then it needs to be changed for the regular season to. It's stupid to have one set of rules of the regular season and another set for the playoffs.
  19. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    each team gets a possession till the score isn't tied anymore. simple.

stop over thinking things.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,677 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    Leave it alone. Let them whine and cry about not getting a chance; that is why its called SUDDEN DEATH. Anything can do it on any play; that is what makes it so exciting. All this lets be fair BS is just that- TOTAL BS. Nothing is ever completly fair and trying to make it so is just plain stupid. More of this crap about no one really losing and so on; makes me want to throw up. Just like all those stupid rules protecting the QB. PLAY THE GAME AND WHOEVER SCORES FIRST WINS. JUST like it has been ever since the NFL began.