1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Per Pro Football Focus: Doug Free rated best tackle in the league..

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by fatboygixxer, Sep 23, 2013.

1. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,091 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Free has played better than expected but this whole PFF grading system they have is ridiculous.
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,141 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I'm glad he's finally playing up to par!
  3. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,439 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    The pay cut was deserved and his salary was the only reason to consider getting rid of him. People who wanted him gone despite the pay cut are the usual ones who overreact to bad play by anyone on the team.

Most of us were OK with him fighting it out for the starting job with Parnell (which ended up being Free by a knockout) and being the vet backup if he lost. (I was also OK if Dallas had decided to replace him with someone like Clabo, but none of us knew Free would play as well as he has.)
    Bleu Star likes this.
  4. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,361 Messages
    1,349 Likes Received
    fatboygixxer likes this.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,646 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    So if the Pro Bowl team, no, if the All-Pro team was selected today would Free get the nod???
    jobberone likes this.
  6. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,903 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    He's not the best tackle in the league, but it's hard to argue with what he's done this year.

He flat out obliterated a very good DE in Chris Long this past Sunday, and he he kept the league leader in sacks, Justin Houston, in check.

Houston is the highest graded 3-4 OLB in the league, btw. But against Free he graded negatively in pass rush and run defense (and overall). His saving grace was his pass protection, which really doesn't have a lot to do with Free, if anything at all. The pass protection is what ultimately caused PFF to grade Houston's performance as only slightly below average.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,029 Messages
    4,536 Likes Received
    Stirring the pot today I see. :)
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,646 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    It's the little things in life.
    Bleu Star likes this.
  9. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,120 Messages
    638 Likes Received
    Really happy to see him return to form, don't know what the story was last year but glad it looks like he turned it around.
  10. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

3,164 Messages
    738 Likes Received
    Free plays good, Free gets big contract, Free plays bad, Free takes pay cut, Free plays good.............................................

not saying, just saying...............
  11. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,195 Messages
    2,792 Likes Received
    This shouldn't slip off the front page yet.

Great job by Free. I said all offseason that Free had trouble adjusting to Callahan's system and that by the end of last year he was playing much better, so I expected him to play pretty well this year. However, I didn't expect him to play this well.

Nice to see one of the hardest workers on the team be able to work through serious problems and rise back to the top. He should be a poster boy for hard work.
    FuzzyLumpkins likes this.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I sent them an email asking about why there's so much variation between grades for QBs with similar production in individual games. Also asked about their CB grades with specific mention of Jason McCourty being the #6 overall CB and the guy runs the site actually replied within a day.

Not sure I'm satisfied with the reply though. The basically said, the numbers lie - they always have - and that you have to watch each play to see what really happened.

Perhaps to some extent, maybe. However I don't see how Brandon Weeden can have almost 240 yards and 7 less TDs in a single game than Peyton Manning.......and yet their grades differ by 0.3
  13. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,091 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    See stuff like that is so ridiculous to me but it does seem when they grade qb's it just looks ridiculous. It seems with every other position there may be some truth to the rankings.