1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Perfect Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Afigueroa22, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    With all the rise and fall of some players do you think the reason the Patriots and Steelers draft so well is because they build their draft board before the combine based solely on tape? Maybe after some pro days you can make some changes, but you still ignore the combine and the media.

Two months ago Decastro and Barron were projected to us as a huge reach but now they may be gone before we pick. Catch my drift? Oh yeah, O-line in the first two rounds please. :p:
  2. Brian_C82

Brian_C82 Member

466 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I doubt that the Pats or Steelers are any better at drafting than the Cowboys. They are simply better at developing players, implementing the right schemes, etc etc.

In other words, they are superior organizations. Superior organizations produce superior players. It isn't because they're better at scouting players. It's what they do AFTER the draft that sets them apart.
  3. Afigueroa22

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    The Steelers have the upper hand in superbowls which may mean superior to some.The Pats success has come from two men, not the organization.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    I don't agree that DeCastro and Barron were every projected as reaches. Two months ago, DeCastro was touted by many as the best OL prospect in the draft and the best OG prospect in a decade. How is that a reach projection?

Barron, was not talked of a great deal by many but the NFL has thought highly of him for a very long time. In the National Championship game, they said that something to the effect that NFL teams believe Barron might be the best player on defense Alabama had going into the draft. I think the NFL has known about Barron for a long time, it's just us who are finally buying into what they have known.

As for the Steelers and the Pats, I think they have a system in place and they draft towards that system. They don't reach for players that don't fit like many teams do. The also don't over pay or hold onto players too long, which are things that our team has done in the past and probably will continue to do. I don't think it's any magic bullet, I just think they stick to their own draft philosophy and it's proven to be successful for them.
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,933 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    Good thing we followed this theory and ignored Ware shooting up draft boards late in the process......
  6. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,460 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    I would agree that DeCastro has generally been talked about around where Dallas picked. Not much has really changed since January with him. Seems that Barron's stock might have dipped some around the combine, but that was just talking heads and chumps like me that drove that process.
  7. Afigueroa22

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    So your telling me that you never read an article saying that drafting a guard at 14 was too high?
  8. Afigueroa22

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Ware was from a small school, he never had national attention in the first place. Of course once scouts saw his tape they naturally became interested.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,313 Messages
    4,847 Likes Received
    I do question if some of the Cowboys draft "busts" were partially due to coaching issues. AOA started 2 games and all but 1 snap of a 3rd after he was released. The team has always had problems developing DBs in the years when Campo was involved.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    Sure, still do but that doesn't constitute the board viewing DeCosta as a reach at 14. I can post a poll on here right now asking who we should take at 14 and DeCosta would probably win if he was there at 14. I don't see how he can be considered a reach at 14 if most believe him to be the pick there if available.

I don't think we should take him at 14 but I am, IMO, in the minority. I can't remember the last time that the opinion of this board was different where he is concerned. He's been the guy for a long time now IMO.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,903 Likes Received
    I wanted DeCastro before the combine and that feeling has not changed one bit on taking him Thursday. I'm more interested in drafting players than position. There are some others I like as well but I would be more than happy to end up with DeCastro
  12. Afigueroa22

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Yes a poll would merit Decastro going to us at 14 NOW, but take the same poll 3 months ago and you will yield very different results.
  13. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I don't think so. I've been fighting the Decastro Bandwagon for months now. Atleast MOST people on this board have been for Decastro since early this year.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    No, I'm afraid I don't agree. DeCastro has been the pick for a very long time, so far as I can recall.
  15. Afigueroa22

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Again, we all know who we wanted. Months ago taking a guard at 14 was said to have been too high.
  16. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,554 Messages
    3,836 Likes Received
    Words of wisdom. R u there Jerry??
  17. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    I think it is too high for any guard in this draft but the majority do not believe that. I don't see the connection between the two. Doesn't matter.