Perspective on Taco Charlton

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Plankton, Aug 6, 2017.

1. MissAnn

MissAnn Member

71 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    All this talk is purely targeting failure. Hey...embrace failure, but like it.

That's what you prefer and not a valid discussion. You present, no counter facts or references to defend a stance of negativity. And then again hide when counter facts are shown. Enough of the circus.

2. waldoputty

waldoputty Well-Known Member

9,188 Messages
    6,092 Likes Received
    if you want to accept whatever the FO's gatorade as the truth, go ahead.

one role in my previous life was pr for an organization, and we always counted on a significant % of the audience being sheepish.

3. MissAnn

MissAnn Member

71 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    I accept the wisdom talked about for well over a decade now...and above is a defined return to the whaling wall with ash and loin cloth. Sorry, now you are saying that we all are sheep. Talks with you are over.

xwalker and M'Kevon like this.
  4. jday

jday Well-Known Member

6,569 Messages
    6,576 Likes Received
    On your point about Marinelli: What? Marinelli has accomplished more with less than any other defensive coach we have had since Parcells...and possibly beyond, because Parcells still had Woodson...and the moment Parcells lost Woodson, the entire team fell apart. Marinelli is as far from the problem as Jerry is close to it. In fact, despite being one of the architects behind the famous Tampa-2, since taking over has DC, he has used very little of it, opting more often than not to use single-high-Safety to both assist in shutting the run game down and because despite preferring the zone look, he implemented man-coverages because Carr and Claiborne were better at that. That was him conforming his system around the talent he has. What more could you ask for? That is also why they allowed both Claiborne and Carr to leave...because at the end of the day they were preventing him from running this defense the way he really wanted.

Granted, there will be growing pains as result of this radical shift, but in the long run, I believe (for what that is worth) it will be worth it.

The reason he publicly ridiculed Taco is because that's what Marinelli does with all of his players. There was nothing special about that occurrence; he is hard on everyone and absolutely should be because that's his coaching style.

And sure the Jones' don't like it when they are criticized, but that has very little effect on their actual decision making because they know most people have no idea what they are talking about. Jerry may have known next to nothing when he bought the team, but I'd bet my year salary he knows more than the majority of people do on this site because that's been his business for the last 25 + years. As to why he called Taco a RE is beyond me. For all I know, he may still be, though I still say he is better suited for LE, but that is my extremely limited opinion. I don't think there was any nefarious intent behind it or that it was an attempt to pull the whool over anyones eyes. The truth is, most fans don't even know the difference between a RE and LE, so I doubt he would say something to appease the small percentage of the population that knows the difference. And if they know the difference, they probably also know Taco doesn't look like one.

As for the "looking smart" comment, Jerry Jones is not a billionaire because he wanted to look smart.

5. waldoputty

9,188 Messages
    6,092 Likes Received
    marinelli took how long before changing to man when it should have been obvious.
    with him, it is his system first.

marinelli is good at getting the last bit out of available talent.
    so he should be a DL coach-taskmaster.
    the problem is as DC, he may be dictating the type of players acquired.
    so we get the try-hard types like the golden cock.
    and we do not get the type that requires modifying his system.

keeping Carr for a few million more would have prevented the dumpster fire and given us flexibility in the draft.
    we had the cap space to do that.
    again it is about marinelli and his system, even though it put us behind the 8-ball in 2 areas instead of 1.
    2 dumpster fires (DL, CB) are much harder to put out than 1.

you dont to radical changes after 13-3 that requires more than 1 year to bear fruit.
    if that is not hubris, then i dont know what is.

jerry already made his $ long ago.
    since buying the team, he has wanted to look smart.
    he does care how he is perceived, and a lot at that.

FO called Taco a RDE because THEY FELT PRESSURE.
    now they have put taco behind the 8-ball right next to them.

6. jday

jday Well-Known Member

6,569 Messages
    6,576 Likes Received
    Where's Waldo has just taken on a whole new meaning for me...as in, where are you getting this insider info? Or are you just making broad assumptions based on the info that has come to light? Because last I checked, Jason is the Head Coach, and even he has to petition Jerry for certain picks. In case you are not sure how this works, let me see if I can't break this down:

The coaches explain the attributes they need to run their scheme effectively. Will McClay relays that info to his scouts. The scouts go find guys that possess those attributes. Based on the info they compile throughout the year with the plethora of prospects they have watched in actual games and interviewed coaches about, they build a draft board. And then they draft accordingly.

You may have noticed from the moment the coaches offered insight on what they are looking for, little else involved them. And yet your assertion above suggest that Marinelli is the guy turning in the card on draft day and not Jerry. As for your belief that they called him a RE because they felt pressure, I'm sorry, I just can't logically buy that. Why lie about something that is sure to get exposed the first time they see Taco line up at LE? That makes no sense. If Jerry was going to tell a lie, he will tell one that has little chance of being exposed. I think you have taken that quote that was a mole hill and turned it into a mountain.

haleyrules and MissAnn like this.
  7. GORICO

GORICO Active Member

193 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    no fun being ignored

xwalker and waldoputty like this.
  8. GORICO

GORICO Active Member

193 Messages
    162 Likes Received

9. waldoputty

9,188 Messages
    6,092 Likes Received
    i think the book has not been written on taco by a long way, but marinelli is a different story.

i think we have talked about ad nauseum about how mcclay refereed the coaches and the scouts for the draft board.
    you have marinelli who is well known to have his guys - the golden cocks and ivies of the world.
    he pushes for his guys and dont tell me his opinion does not matter a great deal in the draft board.
    it was the coaches' input in the draft room that 'supposedly' caused the great divide in the TFred/DT decision that caused mcclay's ascension.
    his guys 'fit' his system and his attitude.
    he is a good task-master.
    but i dont think he is the right DC, but a wonderful DL guy.
    his tampa-2 system should be taken out of its misery.

i have been in organizations that really cared about public opinion.
    the cowboys act like they are very much one of those organizations.
    not because jerry needs the $, but because he cares.
    and it is not a lie, but it is just my personal opinion.
    no one can prove what is in the heart of the FO, so you can deny it all you want.

haleyrules likes this.
  10. MissAnn

MissAnn Member

71 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    This quote stands on it's own merits. It goes to the very heart of free agency now, for the Cowboys:

...The extraordinary people at the top all have great people below them helping on a daily basis as well.

During Jerry’s speech Saturday night he gave many accolades to many of those mentioned above. The two people that stick out very strongly in my opinion are Stephen Jones and Will McClay. Stephen has a brain for professional football, as he should as he has basically grown up being involved with the NFL every day. McClay is his right hand man and the two are a dynamite team and a force to be reckoned with when it comes to player personnel and salary cap matters.

Jerry had briefly touched on a confrontation he had with Stephen about negotiating Deion Sanders contract in free agency of 1994. This further backs up my assumption that the Cowboys are going to be in great shape going forward...

https://thelandryhat.com/2017/08/07/why-dallas-cowboys-set-long-haul/

11. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    Cowboys are going to have to either make a trade or go out and sign some stud FA DE. Otherwise I dont see us finding our war daddy any time soon.

12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

36,524 Messages
    19,413 Likes Received
    Seize the day!:flagwave:

haleyrules and waldoputty like this.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

36,524 Messages
    19,413 Likes Received
    He should in the rotation

haleyrules and waldoputty like this.
  14. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

6,787 Messages
    2,279 Likes Received
    Actually they did not follow their board. That's pretty much been admitted by the organization. There was a higher ranked first round talent available. More importantly, S. Jones has hinted that there may have ALSO been a higher ranked player than Taco available at corner. I think Taco was a reach, they just don't want to come out and say it.

15. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,792 Messages
    789 Likes Received
    Or maybe they used the message to reach a higher audience, in a warning to others.

Thanks for taking notice!! :clap:

haleyrules likes this.
  16. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

4,984 Messages
    2,539 Likes Received
    Meanwhile, the guy I wanted, Carl Lawson, is killing it in Bengals camp. Cant believe he fell to the 4th round.

Common Sense and rpatricc like this.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

28,490 Messages
    21,120 Likes Received
    The only player ranked higher than Taco was a RB according to Stephen Jones.

18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

36,524 Messages
    19,413 Likes Received
    Me neither.
    There were a few head-scratchers like that.
    Always are, I guess. Its just when some our favs drop, we tend to notice.

The Bengals also got Jordan Willis in tne 3rd.

TrailBlazer and Common Sense like this.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

36,524 Messages
    19,413 Likes Received
    Thats right...I assume it was Dalvin Cook, but maybe Mixon?
    They actually did follow their board within sane reason.
    Now wheter or not the board was good is tobe determined.

waldoputty likes this.
  20. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

6,787 Messages
    2,279 Likes Received
    It is true that S. Jones said that. He may have meant that. But i got the distinct impression that Taco was actually lower on their board than a DB that was available when they picked. I am reading between the lines. I think it was coach speak.

I do believe that Taco was the highest ranking DE on their board but I am betting they had a lower grade on him than they are letting on. Like maybe an end of the 2nd grade on him.

I may be completely wrong about that. That's just based on reading the tea leaves.