Perspective on Taco Charlton

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Plankton, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

6,787 Messages
    2,279 Likes Received
    Watt was probably not a scheme fit, but if both players have equally long careers I think Watt will end up with more sacks than Taco, especially early on.

2. Verdict

6,787 Messages
    2,279 Likes Received
    Some of the guys we head scratch on are avoided for non football related reasons and we just never hear about it. Character, work ethic, etc are not going to be publicized as a reason we passed on a player as a general rule.

3. waldoputty

waldoputty Well-Known Member

9,188 Messages
    6,092 Likes Received
    there is a lot of mystery around this draft.
    IF taco is clearly a LE/3-tech, then they would almost definitely have been trying to get a RDE.
    but yet no trade up, which can only be explained by the need for CBs.

the board was not leaked this year.
    i wonder if the board is leaked in years that they did really well or that supports their public stance.

which years were the draft board leaked again and did they do well in all those years?

Verdict likes this.
  4. waldoputty

9,188 Messages
    6,092 Likes Received
    fuzzy has said that the slb in a blitzing 4-3 could well fit a rush OLB.
    so it seems watt could be that player even if they do not want to project him at RDE.

perhaps they did not like watt, injury history etc.

5. haleyrules

haleyrules Well-Known Member

10,753 Messages
    28,363 Likes Received
    Garrett has had plenty of time also.

ufcrules1, CowboyRoy and waldoputty like this.
  6. waldoputty

9,188 Messages
    6,092 Likes Received
    throw both marinelli and garrett out if 2017 is a failure, but keep the O the same.

haleyrules likes this.
  7. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    How can you expect a guy to miraculously make a great defense with so little talent? He had the same problem Campo did when he was coach here.

8. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    ABG......Anyone but Garrett. Get Garrett out of town and its good for 3 wins a year and a playoff win.

9. haleyrules

10,753 Messages
    28,363 Likes Received
    Yep. I am no fan of Garretts. He has been there10 yrs. Maybe, if he has a lot more talent he could pull a B Switzer...but l seriously doubt it.

waldoputty likes this.
  10. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    You cant be serious? You honestly think they like the MIX of guys they have now? They would have to be fools to think that. Its just the opposite. They know exactly how thin and weak they are on the DL. They admitted that DL was their biggest weakness going into the off season and all they really added to the mix was Taco and a possibly healthy Tapper. And they lost two very solid rotation DT's. NOt to mention their best up and coming lineman in Irvin for 4 games.

And please dont tell me that PAEA is going to be some stud.

11. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    OMG.........Switzer not only coached in college but he won titles there. And he won a SB title. Garrett hasnt never even been a head coach in Pop Warner. Switzer understands the game of football. Garrett still has his diapers on.

ufcrules1 and haleyrules like this.
  12. jday

jday Well-Known Member

6,569 Messages
    6,576 Likes Received
    If they had to wait longer than 4 games, I could see them making a move, but trading an asset just to weather four games seems a bit knee-jerky. And guys that would be an upgrade on what the Cowboys have are either not available or both too expensive to acquire and likely expensive to keep. The Cowboys have added potential upgrades to every level of the defense. And every level contributes to the pass rush. Regardless of rather or not you are basing your opinion on what we saw in the Hall of Game or simply what we have on paper, your assessment is a bit premature; you really should wait until at least the regular season to judge.

13. haleyrules

10,753 Messages
    28,363 Likes Received
    I couldn't agree more about Switzers his abilities compared to Garretts. He was a decent choice it was only that maybe he wasn't so adaptable to the pro game. Still, l would take him over the clapper any day.

CowboyRoy likes this.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

28,490 Messages
    21,120 Likes Received
    Switzer put near zero effort into coaching the Cowboys. He let the assistant do everything.

He is the only coach I've seen eat a hotdog on the sidelines during a game.

15. Verdict

6,787 Messages
    2,279 Likes Received

If eating a hotdog helps your team win set up a hot dog stand on the sideline for Garrett and warm up the chili and pass the onions and relish.

16. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

7,165 Messages
    7,159 Likes Received
    Switzer ate a hot dog during the Pro Bowl following the 1994 season. It's not like he did it in a game that meant anything.

17. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    Potential upgrades sure. But anyone that is expecting these rookie defensive guys to come in and change things is kidding themselves. A year or two down the road more likely.

18. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    And what do you think Garrett does? Dont kid yourself. Marinelli runs the defense and Linehan runs the offense. Garrett walks around and claps and pats fannies. Switzer was a real football guy. Garrett is pretending to be.

19. jday

jday Well-Known Member

6,569 Messages
    6,576 Likes Received
    So, what is it you think the Cowboys should do?

20. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    At this point there is nothing they can do for this year. Personally I would have done more in FA possibly with a DE. Going forward I would continue to dedicate the draft to the defense. Probably would have taken a top flight corner instead of the left over DE. But maybe Taco will surprise. I would be fishing for a DE trade as well. Not likely to happen. And DE's in FA next year.

jday likes this.