1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PETA slams Mario over use of a fur suit

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by vta, Nov 16, 2011.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    [IMG]

"Give me something to do! Anything, please!!!!"

Stoopid
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,989 Messages
    1,567 Likes Received
    After seeing that picture I have this desire to go out and buy a fur coat. :laugh2:

When you fight the stupid fights the legit ones get lost in the shuffle.
  3. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,610 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    What animal is that PETA?
  4. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Little late there PETA. Ignorant organization. Why anyone would want to associate w/ them is beyond me. Great try at a message but the irresponsible PC they allow to leak forth from their faces is just pure ignorance.

The Mario Tanooki suit has been around since Super Mario Bro 3.

Yes Oct, 3rd 1988.

HELLOOO!!!! :laugh2: Where you been PETA??? Pretty LATE !!!

HurpsDurps!
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    The funny part is it's actually supposed to be a Racoon Dog suit. If you've been watching the news recently, those are the dogs that the Chinese are mass skinning alive to make fake UGG boots.

Now obviously, a kid here probably doesn't know that or how Mario's suit relates to the Racoon dog and thus the brutal way these animals are being destroyed for their fur, but that may not be the case for Asian kids.

You can see the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oxVwsA2MLWA but WARNING: It's Graphic.

I know a lot of people here want Vick to hang for what he did, so keep that in mind. These are dogs too, and being killed just as brutally, if not more so.

It seems silly to protest a cartoon costume, but you can't just think about it from the American point of view.

Note I am no PETA supporter or animal rights activist, I just happen to like animals and dogs especially.
  6. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Probably won't watch the video, but PETA should try acting on crap like that instead of wasting time on video games (though I doubt they have any influence outside of the U.S.). That's awful.
  7. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,817 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    Frog suits better anyway
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,873 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    Pretty much.

They can't go "X" amount of time without being in the news so they look for anything to possibly complain about.
  9. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,566 Messages
    1,658 Likes Received
    A Tanooki, of course.

It's the only animal capable of turning into a statue if it simultaneously presses the B button and down on the D-pad. Of course, it changes back in a matter of seconds.
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,523 Messages
    1,838 Likes Received
    Now they're coming out and saying they were just joking, after realizing the suit is actually based on the Japanese mythological, shape-shifting "tanuki" rather than the real animal.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,873 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    Stomping on turtles, forcing a dinosaur to carry you around all day and beating the hell out of a giant Gorilla in Super Smash Brothers......all okay by Peta. Wearing a fur coat resembling a rodent, not okay.
  12. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,674 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    The most useless power ever in a Mario game
  13. MarionBarberThe4th

11,817 Messages
    65 Likes Received

I never liked the star. It forced me to be more reckless.
  14. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,674 Messages
    211 Likes Received

Getting those often ended with me falling down a hole while trying to get as much mileage out of it as possible before it wore off
  15. MarionBarberThe4th

11,817 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    It's the music.

I liked picking off suckers with my fireball/nose buger. I'm a natural sniper
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Tanuki is also the Japanese word for Raccoon dog, pretty much every indigenous animal is linked to some sort of God in Japanese culture.
  17. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,566 Messages
    1,658 Likes Received
    Agreed.

I could never figure out a use that justified the suit's presence in the game or the extra exertions required to attain it. The statue power barely kept you invincible long enough to avoid even one enemy, assuming it didn't turn back around after it had passed you by.

According to the Super Mario Brothers 3 strategy guide I purchased back in the 1980s, the suit's only legitimate use was helping you cross a lava floor in one of the castles. That's it.

But, once again, that hardly justified its presence in the game.