1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Peter King: Jason Garrett's best day as a head coach

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Coy, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,262 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    I agree with him, I´ve been hard with JG but yesterday he was great on and most importantly off the field.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/12/10/Week14/1.html

When Garrett came off the field after one of his biggest wins as a coach -- a 20-19 upset of the Bengals, scrambling for 10 points in the last seven minutes to win -- his speech to the team would wait. "I need to call Jerry Brown's mother right now,'' Garrett told Cowboys PR man Rich Dalrymple, and he disappeared for a few minutes to make the call. There would be a memorial service Tuesday, and Brown's mom will be there, and the team will present her the game ball that Garrett had with him Sunday. It all seems so empty, of course, because a service and a ball cannot bring her boy back from this awful death, from an irresponsible accident by his best friend, but what do you do after a senseless and awful death? You do the best you can.

"There's no road map for this,'' Garrett said quietly, 90 minutes after the game. "No script.''

He didn't know what to do; who does? So he just talked to the team about Jerry Brown -- and then to the Dallas media afterward, and then to me.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,803 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    I hope the emotion can carry forward to next week. We can't have a let down.
  3. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So beating the Bengals is an 'upset'?

Romeo Crennel anybody? Where is the love he is suppose to get after getting an upset win, when his whole team essentially witnessed a suicide happen in front of their eyes? I mean are we this much into looking for some type of evidence that JG is a 'great' coach?

Handling a tragedy and coaching well are mutually exclusive... Man, this media dramatizes everything...
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,453 Messages
    8,339 Likes Received
    It's amazing what the flight of a football can determine. If that kick hooks, Garrett's the fool who didn't try to get closer with 50 seconds and two timeouts left.

He did the same coaching job that got him killed in the Ravens loss but the kick stayed true this time.
  5. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,807 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    Come on dude, we won the game. Garrett deserves a pat on the back. That's a tough situation to be in.

Whether you like him or not, how could you honestly be up in arms after yesterday?
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,695 Messages
    1,904 Likes Received
    Agreed. He handled the tragedy as good as you possibly could. Amazing actually.

The coaching yesterday was still bad and he was bailed out by his players making plays.

The guy just doesn't give us any advantages.

I still think he's bad even though the ball went through the uprights.

Because we saw a lot of the same garbo but we overcame it.
  7. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Whose up in arms? People are consufing two issues, i.e. coaching and handling a tragedy...

Romeo won the day after a shocking tragedy, i.e. nobody is making him a great coach after that. When it comes to JG, the homers are using this as some sort of proof he's a great coach. I liked Jason's speech about Jerry and how he handled the situation, but that has no bearing on how he coaches a football game.

It's the same routine win and to act like the game was anything different is grasping at straws..
  8. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

783 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    When a team executes, it sure makes the coach look like a genius. Consider Bill Walsh of the 80's San Francisco 49ers ilk...
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,056 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Coach of the Week
    Jason Garrett, head coach, Dallas. Talk about a difficult weekend. For the second straight week, a head coach of a team in crisis. Like Romeo Crennel in Kansas City last week, Garrett had to stand up in front of his team Saturday and tell them of a death in the family. Garrett did it just before the Dallas charter left for Cincinnati, telling his players that practice-squad linebacker Jerry Brown had been killed in a drunk-driving crash, and starting nose tackle Josh Brent was the driver of the car that killed him. "Everybody in our organization who knew Jerry is completely numb, and has been numb the last couple of days,'' Garrett said Sunday. "And football is a game of emotion."
    Down 19-10 in the fourth quarter, Garrett's prep work paid off late, and the Cowboys rallied to a 20-19 win.

Ten Things I Think I Think

2. I think this is what I didn't like about Week 14:

i. I like Michael Irvin. I don't like his cackling when I am watching the highlights.

5. I think, with all the talk about Jon Gruden's coaching candidacies, remember these things:

c. I would not be at all surprised if the Cowboys have a bad final three weeks if Jerry Jones goes after Gruden hard.

10. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,807 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    Nah, I still think he's a mediocre coach. But I'll give him credit for a getting a tough win vs. a better team on the road a day after one player was just killed

Credit does not necessarily make him a great coach. But we did good yesterday and good for him for getting us there.
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,695 Messages
    1,904 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Garrett over Gruden.

Gruden is a better head coach but his offensive scheming is just as miserable.
  12. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,660 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    Yeah let's try running a couple more plays where a penalty or turnover happens.:rolleyes: I can guarantee you if that had happened Garrett wouldn't have heard the end of it from you and especially the media. Garrett got them close enough that he felt confident in his kicker to make it from that distance and not have any time left for the Bengals. In that situation, you trust your kicker that's what he's paid to do is to make kicks like that.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Re: the game winning FG... The Ravens game was a 51-yarder. This one was a 40-yarder. Huge, huge difference. Especially considering how windy Baltimore was.
  14. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd have Bailey boot balls from 50-55 yards to win a game and wouldn't blink an eyelid. If he misses it, I still wouldn't blink an eyelid.

If anybody justifies confidence in skill at what he does on this team, it's him.
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,695 Messages
    1,904 Likes Received
    Risen Star pretty much believes coaching doesn't matter so he would just be mad at Jerry.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,453 Messages
    8,339 Likes Received
    That's all it is. Execution. If bad players fail to execute, the coach sucks.

This is Garrett's best coaching job because Dan Bailey made the kick. Great stuff.
  17. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

783 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Just win, baby!
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,485 Messages
    6,196 Likes Received
    Love this. Love that he made it a higher priority than addressing the team.
  19. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

587 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    I didn't like that strategy either. As you mentioned, they failed under similar circumstances in Baltimore. Also, last year against the Cardinals they were burned because they didn't try to pick up additional yards.

It was very strange to see them settle for a 40 yard attempt given those recent failures. That was a bad coaching decision; Garrett just happened to get away with it this time.
  20. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,822 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    For all the grief you give Jerry you think exactly like him, you both underestimate the importance of a good head coach.

Please go and tell New Orleans fans how it's all about execution and coaching doesn't matter much.