1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Peter King: Jason Garrett's best day as a head coach

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Coy, Dec 10, 2012.

1. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,043 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    That's hilarious! Though I would vote for Doc at the Radar Station instead.....
  2. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Cowboys have the 2nd highest 3rd down conversion% and 6th highest 4th down conversion% ... so someone must be dialing up some good playcalls at some critical times, despite Thom Brenneman's amazing and invaluable football observations.
  3. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,136 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    Amen.
    Big difference between wasting 22 seconds against a defense you were shredding and settling for a 51 yd fg than a much higher percentage 40 yd fg. Especially when you consider the Bengals were meeting the running back in the backfield a majority of the game.
  4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,075 Messages
    371 Likes Received
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I'm too busy trying to be condescending to people like you :D
  6. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,335 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    Doubt they will. The Chiefs won the week of their loss but totally bombed this week. Hard not to have a let down after so much emotion the prior week. Same could very well happen to us. I'm hoping for otherwise, but am afraid we could be in big trouble next week.
  7. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,696 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    Yeah I'm just not in the mood of playing around in that situation. That's what you have kicker for to do HIS job. Otherwise don't have a kicker on your roster. As much as we want to sit here and get upset with Garrett for not running another play to get closer there is no way with THIS team and it's bad luck you risk that. I could just see it now running one more play Romo trips over an offensive lineman's leg and falls and as he's falling the ball comes loose and we recover the ball at about the 40 yard line. Or Doug Free false starts or holds or we get some silly penalty. Garrett would NEVER hear the end of it. Just run the clock down and kick the FG. If he misses it then how close do you need to get to make your FG kicker comfortable to make a FG.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Not to mention on the road against the NFL's best pass rush defense and the NFL's best interior pass rusher. If Garrett had needlessly tried to shoehorn in an extra pass in that situation and it resulted in a Romo sack and fumble, this place would be flinging poo like the monkey cage at the zoo.
  9. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Same excuse for every game... not a one-time deal..
  10. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Giants were playing like utter garbage during that stretch and just had a major storm that totally side-lined their whole city. Eli was out of his house... You also forgot to mention the other teams they beat, like a Kansas City, Oakland and San Diego, who you pointed out beat a 'good' Steelers team to make some sort of point...

Sorry, don't buy it...
  11. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,908 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    Or if the Bengals didn't drop all those passes.
  12. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,198 Messages
    948 Likes Received
    I'm sorry, but this is completely ridiculous.

It was a 42-yard field goal with 50 seconds left. They ran once, after which it was 40. That's somewhere around an 88% proposition league-wide, better than that for Bailey. Bailey has NEVER missed a field goal between 30 and 45 yards.

Could they have run one more running play on second down? Sure; I would probably argue that they should have. But that's it. There's no way from there that you're throwing the ball. Period. You might add one or two percentage points to the kick, but the risk you run is far far greater, especially given how bad the OL looked. False start, holding, sack, TFL, any of those could kill our chances. This was clearly the right percentage play.

The FG in the Ravens game was 51 yards. This one was 40. There's no comparison. Oh, and you're way off about the game management in the Ravens game, too. We ran our last play with 26 seconds left and only one TO. You can't take the TO there and risk another play - if it ends up in bounds, there may not be time to spike it or run out the kicking team. You can rush the play there and save the time out, but can you do that and guarantee the play doesn't run out the clock with only 20 seconds left? You may disagree with the decision, but it's not the no-brainer you try to make it out to be.