1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Peter King on KTCK

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by InmanRoshi, Apr 26, 2012.

1. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If Dallas wants to move up, they'll be contacting KC at 11 because they want to move the pick. They have a bunch of similarly graded players, and they won't ask for a lot to move back to 14. Dallas could move up there and get Barron, because he seems to be the apple of the Cowboys eye.

I think the Cowboys biggest needs are S and CB, even after Carr. Most teams have now realized that the future of the NFL is most of the good offenses are going to throw 65% of the time. People ask why the Seahawks would take Barron with Chancellor and Thomas already at S, it's because they lined up in their nickel defense in 65% of their snaps last year. Even if he just played nickel packages as a rookie, he would still play 2/3 of their defensive snaps.

Poe might be my most overrated player, and I know guys in NFL Front Offices who like the kid. I just don't think he was a good enough college player. I haven't watched every snap of his college career, but I know people who have and they really soured on him based on what they've seen.

I'm hearing a lot of Janoris Jenkins might sneak into the back of the 1st round. Teams are trying to convince themselves on him because he's just so good.

I sat in the draft room with the Cowboys in the year they drafted Roy Williams. The popular theory is that Jerry is a dictator in the War Room, but in truth he was just a information gatherer. Parcells would tell you Jerry didn't really force his players on him too often. Jerry is making the choices based on the reports Ciskowski and Jason Garrett are giving him. I'm not defending how Jerry does things, because I would hire a more powerful GM in his shoes, but these Cowboys' drafts just aren't Jerry's drafts.
  2. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,287 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    This should be interesting.
  3. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,877 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Thanks for the recap. I wasn't aware that the Seahawks played that much nickle defense.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,263 Messages
    1,099 Likes Received
    Thank you for the recap!

:bow:
  5. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Seattle's best pass rusher is the blockable Chris Clemons and they have 2 young pro bowl safeties. If they take Barron, they take Barron. If he gets to 11, he should get to 14 absent someone behind coming up. I don't mind a small trade up if he is that highly rated on our board, but the Seahawk stuff is pure draft smoke.
  6. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,344 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I might also be concerned about another team jumping over Dallas. Mayock reported that he would be the only guy that the Eagles would try to move up for and reports are that San Diego really wants him as well.

Personally, I think the Seattle and Buffalo rumors are out there to try to get teams to trade up. I think all Cowboys fans want that gamble to fail so Dallas can simply grab him at 14 (regardless of if people like him, no one wants to lose extra picks).
  7. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,895 Messages
    633 Likes Received
    I have been putting this in all the threads about trades. Just recent news/rumors on Twitter. This is Evan Silva...who I recommend to all

#Cowboys have had conversations with the #Chiefs about a potential trade up, and #Chargers about moving down: is.gd/QUf1VW

All says Star Telegram says we have Barron, Cox, Brockers and DeCastro as our 4
  8. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,640 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    To be honest, give me any one of those players and I'm happy. Each gives us something we desperately need and all four have great potential.

Last thing I want is a trade down and settling for a lesser prospect so we can pick up an extra 3rd or 4th.
  9. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,606 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    I would probably add the Jets to that jumping up thing, as they need a safety also.

As for the Seattle and Buffalo rumors, they have so many other needs that are higher on each of their levels of importance that they would be stupid to make the pick, especially Seattle. Buffalo does have George Wilson, who should've made the Pro-Bowl last year, and although he is 31, their needs are far greater elsewhere.

Hard to really make sense of all these rumors really, but with Jerry flapping his gums about who his targets are, we have to know teams will float these rumors to bait him. Of course it could all be a smokescreen, but at this point, the only thing we do know is it could create Jerry's phone ringing alot and that could be the whole point of all of this noise anyway.
  10. mschmidt64

mschmidt64 Member

681 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's not that interesting.

It basically says Parcells would say Jerry didn't force his own picks "too often" which means that there were times that he did.

It also says "Jerry is making the choices based on information provided to him" by the scouts and Garrett, which still indicates Jerry is the one making the final choices.

And finally it says that King would still hire a real GM. Why?

Because the current one is making the final choices, when a real football man would be better qualified to do so.

Nothing groundbreaking there.
  11. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,264 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Oh boy IR now you done and did it.

Just a matter of time before junk and Risen Star come in here and make this another "Jerry is not a real GM" debacle.

It's already started with mschmidt64.
  12. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,228 Messages
    430 Likes Received
    should not take much to jump 3 spots.
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Agreed. This scenario doesn't really jive with the scenarios laid out as fact by certain people around here either.

Well, he isn't really a real GM. Dallas has won 1 playoff game in 15 years.

Something is broke and I'll continue to argue that having a GM (and Director of Player Personnel) who have no background in personnel guiding the talent acquistion process is a problem.

Not sure why you (and others) take such an issue with that.

We could certainly discuss the merits of Ciskowski or Garrett's inputs, but we never really seem to get that far.
  14. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,264 Messages
    472 Likes Received

Well that didn't take long did it? :lmao2:

I'm not even gonna take thread in that direction junk, I really have nothing to say on this anymore than the other countless times it been discussed.
  15. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    the spinning never ends..

I think the only thing that's spinned more in the history of time is planet Earth.
  16. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,283 Messages
    131 Likes Received

Does he put more stock in what the HC says who he wants or what the scouts say? Does it vary from coach to coach?

Perhaps I answered my own question. Campo who is a secondary guy was the HC when Williams was drafted.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,685 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    King obviously angling for another enormous tub of extra-butter popcorn.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I think it's a bit disingenuous to say Jerry doesn't highly effect the draft. Look at all the crazy trading back we've done over the last 15 years. There's some pretty established patterns in drafting. By my count we've gone through six head coaches and three different heads of scouting, but Jerry remains the constant.
  19. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Well, whatever. I guess if you guys want to stick your head in the sand about it, that's fine.

I don't see how it is spin. Look at the team's performance for the last 15 years. Doesn't take much common sense to see the issue.

What the saying about the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Those defending Jerry remind a bit of those that would defend QC back in the day. "You know a long interception on 3rd down is almost like a punt" :rolleyes:
  20. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

That was a pretty funny scene.