1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Peters: Coming In Loud and Clear (DCW)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by LaTunaNostra, Sep 13, 2004.

1. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Coming in Loud and Clear
    Between Parcells, Coaches
    By Chad Peters

[IMG]

A clear line of communication is important in any workplace, and the Cowboys' coaching staff is enjoying just that in Bill Parcells' second year with the team.

"I think it's always easier the second year with a head coach," says special teams coach Bruce DeHaven, who hadn't worked with Parcells before last season. "If you haven't worked with him before, you don't know quite what to expect or even what he expects from you."

DeHaven was one of many Cowboys assistants working with Parcells for the first time last season, as offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon was the lone coach with a history under Parcells. Receivers coach Todd Haley, hired this offseason, joins Carthon as the only Cowboys coaches with previous experience with Parcells.

Parcells is known for demanding a lot from his coaching staff, perhaps even more than from his players. He believes in maintaining a mentally tough and intelligent team, which begins with his coaches teaching the fundamentals of the game to the players.

Since taking over the Cowboys' coaching reins, Parcells has made a habit of evaluating his coaches' ability in directing training camp drills as much as his players' ability in performing them.

"I think a lot of the assistant coaches that hadn't worked with him before last year were a little bit on edge just because you never really knew what to expect," DeHaven says. "I know that everybody's a lot more comfortable this year."

Part of the difficulty in assembling a coaching staff with such little history together is the process of getting them all on the same page. Compromises must sometimes be made when philosophies clash as a result of their varying coaching backgrounds.

DeHaven's attitude toward punting, which places as much emphasis on hang time as distance, is one such example.

"I've always been, just kick it. It's our job to cover it," says Parcells of his approach. "Now, Bruce DeHaven is of the Marv Levy school, which is really diametrically opposite of that. I think there's some kind of middle ground there. I don't like punting the ball 32 yards and fair-catching. I don't like that. I'd rather punt it 44 and have a net of 37 or 38 if I could."

Another philosophical difference deals with who should be given the responsibility of holding for kicker Billy Cundiff.

DeHaven, along with kicking coach Steve Hoffman, prefers using punter Mat McBriar in the role. McBriar and Cundiff work together extensively throughout practice, providing them the greatest opportunity to reach a comfort level with one another's styles.

Parcells, though, has used quarterbacks to perform the duty in most of his previous coaching stops.

"I would rather have one of them do it," says Parcells on the option of using backup quarterbacks Tony Romo or Drew Henson on holds. "Bruce is of a different feeling. I understand. The punter has more time to work with the kicker. But if you get a quarterback to do it, you have increased the versatility of your team because you have a quarterback in the game at all times. That can be beneficial."

Coming from different schools of thought or not, DeHaven benefits from Parcells' unyielding importance placed on special teams play.

"It makes it so much easier when you're the special teams coach if the head coach gets involved in it," says DeHaven, adding his personnel on special teams took nearly seven games to get on the same page a year ago. "And he's involved in it big time. You can ask any of these guys whether they think the kicking game's important and they're going to tell you it is because he says it is."

When the Cowboys recently cut their roster to 53 players, part of the overriding factor for backups making the team was their ability on special teams. Fullback Darian Barnes made the team over Jamar Martin in large part because of his versatility on special teams, despite being not as good a blocker.

"I take the guys that are on the team and try to work with them," DeHaven says. "Really, you're going to keep guys that can play on offense and defense and then we try to see that they're special teams players as well.

"He sees the same things as I do on the film. He's just looking for another voice."

A voice now heard much clearer.

Of anyone wants any of the following artilces posted, let me know, and I'll post it tomorow morning.

Sep 11, 2004

Coming in Loud and Clear
    Ask Coach Parcells
    2004 Rookie Draft Class
    A Minute With: Jason Witten
    Parcells Speaks of Camaraderie
    Ongoing Changes
    Countdown to Browns
    Foe Front: Cleveland Browns
    Cheerleader Emma Dawson
    Top QB Draft Picks
    Profile: Torrin Tucker
    Browsing the NFL
    Cowboys Salute Youth Football
    Eaton Making Up for Lost Time
    Cowboys, Bank of America Team Up
    NFL East in Review
    Letters to the Editor
    Cowboys Confidential
    The Way It Was
    Defense Manhandled
    Game Day News 'n Notes
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    I am with Parcells on holders. The only holder who was nto a QB that I ever had much faith in was Novacek and I think he played QB in HS. I liked him for his great hands.

I love the option you have with better personnel for fakes.

I would have no problem utilizing Patrick Crayton as a holder because I feel he could either throw or run with the ball on a fake.

What can a punter do?
  3. Rude

Rude New Member

703 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fumble the snap ;)
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    Momentum killer. Not that I was happy "I See Dead People" was attemtping another FG after that time killing drive.
  5. CowboysFan02

CowboysFan02 Degree or Bust

810 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree totaly Hos, I would rather have someone out there that could have a chance to make something happen on a broken play. Or as an option for fakes.

I think Crayton would be great for that ;) not to mention he can return punts and kicks with Lee.
  6. Midswat

Midswat Benched

2,508 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I knew when that happened we had lost the game . . .
  7. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,737 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    even if dallas had made the 2nd field goal - they blew their early opportunities to grab the lead with both hands and put pressure on vikings. parcells, peyton and carthon did a miserable job of redzone playcalling. this was amplified by stupid penalties. and i was disappointed they didn't take more early shots downfield.
  8. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,998 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Speaking of returns, I was frustrated with the kick return by Lee. I know he broke a big one, but he just didn't show good open field running at the end. It wouldn't have taken any sort of special move to get the kicker turned around and just blow right by him. Instead of making that slight shift of direction once the guy's shoulders were turned, Lee just decided to run him over and try to continue on. That slowed him down enough for the pursuit to catch up.

Guys like Deion (and really any other good returner) will do their best to avoid contact and keep their speed going towards the goalline. It didn't really hurt Dallas since they scored a TD on that drive, but how many wasted redzone opportunities has this team had in the past 5 years? If I'm the special teams coach, I'm out there with Lee working on open field running in the next practice so they don't have to take chances with the offense. It may also pay big dividends when he gets a good hole on a running play.
  9. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DeHaven has got to be on a short leash after last year's special teams fiasco (esp. punting) and McBriar's botched snap. My impression is that when you disagree with Tuna, you'd better be right.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,002 Messages
    4,533 Likes Received
    Was Crayton active for the game? I can't remember.
  11. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Nope. Crayton was not active