1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Petersen Mocks

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by UnoDallas, Oct 26, 2010.

1. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Patrick Peterson*, CB, LSU
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 218.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.47.
    Projected Round (2011): Top 8 Pick.
    10/9/10: Peterson has really shown how dominant of a punt returner he is this season. His speed and vision really speak volumes as a return man, but he's also been a beast in run support and in coverage this season. He could go as high as the top three picks especially with the Detroit Lions in need of a cornerback.

5/13/10: One of the top cornerback prospects to come along in a very long time, Patrick Peterson broke up 13 passes in 2009.

Positives: NFL bloodlines, is a relative of Bryant McFadden and Sinorice and Santana Moss... Physically gifted athlete... Great combination of size and speed... Gets a good jam at the line of scrimmage in bump and run... Reads well... Great instincts... Understands and anticipates receivers' routes... Decent zone reads... Good range... Fluid hips... Can run with receivers... Limits separation... Good balance... Nice backpedal... Transitions well out of breaks... Very good ball skills... Very dangerous with ball in his hands after an interception or as return man... Closes and reacts well... Takes good angles... Above average hands... Effective in run support... Can close on ball carriers... Is physical with WR to get through blocks... Good wrap-up tackler... Hits and tackles like a linebacker... Continues to get better..... Had 13 pass break ups and two interceptions while most teams threw away from his side of the field in 2009... Plays with confidence... Short term memory... One of the best cornerback prospects in recent memory.

Negatives: Can be caught out of position in zone packages... A little overaggressive... Lacks great discipline... Does not have the extra gear to recover when beat... Could be more aggressive in run support... Essentially two years college football cornerback experience... Played mostly special teams his freshman season... Overall technique could use some polishing.

Patrick Peterson CB 6'1 211 LSU
    Game Notes:
    9/4 - North Carolina - Sometimes, less is more. In this case, less means fewer passes thrown in Peterson's direction. In fact, I don't recall a single reception given up by this guy. I do however remember watching his elite speed as he torched UNC for 250 yards in the return game.

[SIZE=+0]9/11 - Vanderbilt - Peterson didn't surrender a single pass that [/SIZE]I can recall. He showed great speed, instincts, and was simply too good to even be tested more than 1-2 times.

[SIZE=+0]9/18 - Mississippi State - Peterson got turned around on one play and surrendered a reception. [/SIZE]yet, he was right there where he needed to be. However, he was dynamic in his two interceptions, covering his man like glue. He also looked scary fast after picking the pass, and was a blur returning the ball. I have yet to watch one of his games this season where I wasn't impressed. He looks like a top 5 pick to me.

Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU (Junior)
    Height: 6’1″
    Weight: 211
    Projection: 1st Round
    Last Updated: June 5th, 2010
    Strengths: Great size and bulk – Elite speed – Plays well against top competition – Has plus awareness and football IQ – Recovers well – Excellent ball skills – Can play man and zone – Great overall skill-set.
    Weaknesses: At times relies on athleticism rather than sticking with proper technique – Could improve his tackling
  2. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,514 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    My Question is since he's a good tackling "CB" do we put him at CB or FS ,and if its FS do we move him 2 CB whn and if AOA comes 2
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't.

If the Cowboys were to select him, they do have a need at CB. This team is currently only carrying three CBs.

Further, Newman will be 33-years old at the start of next season. Scandrick has proven to be JAG.

Ball as a CB is quality depth in my opinion.

I don't think anyone should be holding there breath for AOA and assume he's going to be an adequate player at safety or CB.

After that, you essentially Bryan McCann on the practice squad, along with Teddy Williams who is a project.
  4. jbsg02

jbsg02 Active Member

1,719 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You don't take a CB in the top 5 and plan to make him a safety.