1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Peterson and teams needing a QB

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by blindzebra, Mar 3, 2011.

1. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,526 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Just a thought.

None of the QBs is as sure bet as Luck. Would we/should we be contacting these teams...Buffalo, Cincinnati, AZ to see if they would take next years first and #9.

Two firsts could get you enough ammo to get Luck next year.

We keep the rest of our picks this year and land arguably the best player in the draft.
  2. pacy

pacy 82 WITTEN 82

237 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I would do it the other way. I would love to have Buffalos First Round Pick next year in some kind of trade.
    That would put us in very good position to get Luck.

Man you can dream.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    I like both options, actually.
  4. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received

i get what your saying but something tells me that by next year this time scouts both tv and message board ;) will find holes in luck's game as well.

It's inevitable it happens all the time guy looks like he's the second coming and no brainer top pick if he came out ala jake locker last year and matt leinart a few years back the list goes on and on. All it takes is one bad game(see Amukamara,Prince vs okie st) and people start questiong his skills and once one writer or scout throws out a comment like "Not a very strong arm" or "not accurate outside the pocket" he get's hit with these labels that spread like wildfire and dimish the way you look at him.

Not saying this guy sucks so dont put words in my mouth or offer a bravado challenge just pointing out the nature of the beast.
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,320 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I don't like trading multiple 1st round picks. The draft is a teams life-blood. You are choking yourself by spending two first round picks on a single player.
  6. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,526 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    I don't like to either but this year is very different.

Free agency may not happen so the draft may be the only way to fill needs.

That means this years pick are at a premium and next years will be undervalued.

I think we have the front 7 pieces to run Ryan's scheme, not so much in the secondary.
  7. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,577 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I would still need a 2nd or atleast a 3rd and 5th. Giving up two first round picks is alot more than say the 3rd or 4th overall pick.
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,577 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I would trade my 9th over all pick and next years 1st for there 1st and 2nd round pick. That way I can still pair a 2nd and 3rd to move up in the 1st to get Carimi or Castanzo. Then with the other 2nd trade back a few spots if Harris isn't there and grab an extra 3rd. Get a OG and CB or FS, Peterson can play the other.

This way you can get 1st Peterson, 1st Carimi, trade back 2nd (Moore or Williams), and 3rd Cannon, 3rd Quinten Carter
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,106 Messages
    3,120 Likes Received
    I wait to see how far Peterson might fall before I even consider next year's 1st.

If the CBA gets done and we can add players to deals I offer Cleveland Roy Williams and #9 to get to #6. Maybe throw in a 5th round pick. Cleveland could land Julio Jones at #9 and have much better weapons for McCoy.
  10. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Good luck Hos move RW#11 and his salary......buyer beware! :D
  11. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I'd sign on for that deal! And it's not like we would be fleecing Cleveland either, seems fair on both sides. However Roy's contract would be an issue.
  12. Hostile

119,106 Messages
    3,120 Likes Received
    Actually, Roy's contract is better built than people realize. If he is dropped after this year it costs the Cowboys nothing. This is the last year he would be on the books for dead money. Cleveland can easily absorb that or renegotiate and he'd have a Texas Alum throwing to him.
  13. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1) Dez
    2) Miles
    3..... who do you have in mind? Draft pick?
  14. Hostile

119,106 Messages
    3,120 Likes Received
    James Jones.
  15. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I see what you mean, however I place PP's importance and value to the team over that of a 3rd WR.
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,882 Messages
    2,351 Likes Received
    you guys are way off the wagon here
    PP is good but he is not deion or asomoagh
    he is an elite athlete but not an elite corner (there is already talk that he is better suited to play FS "in a few years")

with our other draft needs there is no way you trade up for him and waste picks

he is the shiny object but we need meat and potatoes in this draft (OLx2, DL, FS, ILB)

i hope someone picks him early or that JJ has enough sense not to trade up for him