1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Peterson played much of season with sports hernia

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, Feb 7, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    Guy is an absolute physical freak. Came back better than ever from a bad knee injury then plays through an injury that sidelines most everybody else to almost break records.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Guys just a "throwback".

I'm not really a big fan of that word but there's not much more you can say.

The NFL commercial where they talk about the evolution of the game and how it just started out in the mud or something.....blah, blah....made a couple rules just to keep the peace. If you saw Peterson in that commercial just being a wrecking ball and going through everyone in front of him without a helmet or even one of those flimsy leather caps, you wouldn't think nothing of it.

"Meh, just AP".

I really hope at some point down the line we don't hear that he's somehow connected to roids or HGH or anything like that. I love the way he plays, every time I watch him I'm expecting a big play on every play. You know that feeling you get when you've seen something so much that you just anticipate it's going to happen every time even though that isn't the case? Like when Nick Folk was in his last year in Dallas and you just knew if there was any sort of difficulty in the kick it wasn't gonna come close. I started going to the kitchen and listening at one point cause I couldn't stand the thought of seeing another miss on the live broadcast. Replays sucked but another live miss would have been the last straw and I may have flown to Dallas and kidnapped Folk.

That's the sense I get with Peterson except every play I feel like he could do something that nobody else in the league right now could and often times even the modest gains are still plays that make you think "wow".
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Isn't that the same injury that same injury that benched Ratliff for the remainder of the year.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Could have been but Ratliff's may or may not have been more severe.

Also, Ratliff played a position where every down he's trying to move at least 300 pounds on top of his weight. I would guess he would be straining a little more than AP and aggravating to a greater extent each week.

Not to take anything away from AP because that's insane he could do what he did.

Just trying to throw out another side of it.
  6. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,891 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received
    The guy is a physical beast. I love that player. I wanted him to be a Cowboy so bad when he was coming out of the draft. Things like this are just little reasons why.
  7. bounce

bounce Active Member

716 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    I'm not in any way comparing myself to pro athletes, but I currently have a sports hernia - and had surgery for one a few years ago. They're different in terms of pain. 90% of the time, I don't feel anything -- the 10% of the time I do, it's more of an annoyance than a pain. I've gone to the doctor and he said if it's not bothering me a lot, then surgery is a lot more invasive than the hernia itself.

All that to say, just because there IS a hernia, doesn't mean it's constantly something that is debilitating. There are many different levels of it. No telling what AP or Rat had.
  8. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,351 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    One of my favorite players and came from my neck of the woods. Saw him play in high school and it was obvious, even then, that he was going to be special.

Plays the game the way it should be played. Doesn't get much better than AD
  9. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,955 Messages
    1,994 Likes Received
    I doubt Ratliffs was severe that the team dr didnt see it for 4 weeks. IMO Dallas released that to defuse the whole situation.

Peterson was just willing to play thru the pain, Ratliff wasnt. The difference between a player and a great player.