1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Peyton Manning Not Happy

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by DWhite Fan, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

5,569 Messages
    382 Likes Received
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    The Colts are in a nasty predicament. They have Luck incoming and have just signed Manning to a $90M contract with $54M guaranteed and a $20M signing bonus. Top that off with an injury that forced him to miss the entire season. Wow. That is an ugly place to be.

They can trade him, but with that injury and that fat contract it will be hard even with the Colts being forced to eat the $20M signing bonus. Manning was only paid $around $6.5M for 2011 too so there is still a TON left.

People will be very cautious about trading for a broken QB with that price tag even if it is Peyton Manning.

I think the only thing the Colts can do is keep Manning and let him start next year if he can and let Luck work under him. If he plays well and Luck is ready to roll, then try to trade him next year. Someone would be more apt to take him and you just have to bite the bullet on that huge signing bonus.

...of course whoever takes him better have an offensive line. I don't care what QB you are. You are going to have serious problems without an offensive line that can protect you.

Mannings life just went to ****, but he's getting money fat in the process. Good thing he has already won a Superbowl.
  3. Shadowy329

Shadowy329 Member

232 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He would have to be rather dumb to not see what is coming. You just can't keep an older qb coming off back to back neck surgeries for the contract they just gave him. Time to hang up the pads and grab a clipboard and start his coaching career.
  4. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    No way he walks away from $90M. He isn't going to retire just yet. Not to mention I believe he would have to give back a large portion of that signing bonus.
  5. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Why would Luck want to sit behind Manning for a year? He is ready to go now

And why would the Colts want this circus?
  6. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Not sure if serious.

First off, Luck wouldn't have a choice if the Colts drafted him.

Second, Luck is considered the best QB to come out in years. Why in hell would the Colts pass on that? You would be an absolute ignorant ****ing moron to pass on Luck just because you have a 35 year old broken QB named Peyton Manning. :facepalm:
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,797 Likes Received
    It would not be a circus to begin with Manning would have the support of the fans. It is not like Colt fans want Peyton gone, yes they want Luck as well but I think many fans would like to see Luck sit behing Manning for a couple of season before taking over
  8. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,203 Messages
    1,193 Likes Received
    Montana was let go. So Manning is a no brainer.

Lets face it. They have had great regular season success with him but he just about lucked into SB win.

Not saying he isnt great. I think he is the greatest. He could read and pick apart a defense(except Belicheck's - sans one time).

Him coming back, at best, guarantees a competitive season. Nothing more.
  9. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,797 Likes Received
    Montana contract was up so the 9ers either had to resign him and likely loose Steve Young who was in place or let Montana leave they choose to let him go.

Not exactly the same situation. 9ers knew Young was ready to take over
  10. REDVOLUTION

25,203 Messages
    1,193 Likes Received

Its close enough.

BOTH are willing to let their GREAT QB go.
  11. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,797 Likes Received
    No it is not close there is already big money invested with Peyton, Montana situation was his contract was over so they either resign him or move on and as I said they had Young already in place and risked losing him had they resigned Montana. Luck on the other hand will be a rookie.

As for the 9ers they had already seen Young who had to take over when Joe was hurt to know he was ready. With Luck you have a college kid whom while most of us like him have no clue as to how he will actually work out in the NFL. If they are lucky enough to bring him in slowly then I think they will be better off
  12. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Colts changed their GM, changed their HC, looks like they are going in a different direction . . . .
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,917 Messages
    1,383 Likes Received

Only a fool wouldn't want to learn from one of the best QBs to ever play. That's the kind of oppurtity that few QBs ever get the chance to have. I'm sure Luck is a smart enough kid to realise what a great learning situation that would be and how it would help him greatly in his career.

I'm sure you have no vested interest though in the Colts either passing on Luck or trading Manning.
  14. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,797 Likes Received
    They very well could do that. As we seen last year there is a lot wrong with the Colts. For all the praise Polian gets as a great GM and yet one guy goes down and your team falls apart, you would think they would have more talent and depth than to at least compete
  15. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,401 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I just hope he doesnt end up in Washington.
  16. REDVOLUTION

25,203 Messages
    1,193 Likes Received

Same = Not concerned with letting THEIR legendary QB go = same

Understand. THAT is my only point.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received

as different from the texans who lost both their QB and their top Defensive player yet won 10 games and made it to the playoffs. It was clear in 2010 that it was basically Manning that kept the colts in contention but the cracks were clearly visible.
  18. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,797 Likes Received
    I understand your view now. I'm only explainging the fact that 9ers were comfortable with it because they had a guy in Steve Young who had already shown very good play in the USFL and in taking over for Joe during the season. So yes instead of losing Young they were willing to part with Joe. They were not willing to let a legendary QB walk over a rookie. In the Colts situation they could keep Manning and still get the guy they want and bring him up at the pace they want
  19. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,797 Likes Received
    Hell Dallas lost Romo and we were more competitive than the Colts. But of course Polian is just an outstanding GM who built Manning outside of that nothing else seems to be getting it done. :laugh2:
  20. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    If I were Jim Irsay, or his GM, I would listen intently to trade offers for the #1 pick. It would take three number 1's and one of them would have to be near the top 5 this year.

Let's say the Browns offer #4, #22, and next year's 1st round pick for Luck. I take it. At #4, maybe you can grab Griffin III or Trent Richardson and use your top pick of the 2nd for Nick Foles and go OL at 22.

If I am not getting these kinds of offers for that pick I try to trade Peyton Manning to the Jets or Redskins and I take Luck and never look back.

I think Irsay should bring in an O minded Coach like Marty Mornhinweg, and tell him you want top O personnel on his staff.

I absolutely, 100% do not, under any circumstance play 2012 with Manning and Luck both on the roster and $50.5 million dollars of my cap tied up in 2 players.