1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFF’s Staff Voted (not real) NFC Pro Bowl Squad

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Arch Stanton, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    PFF’s NFC Pro Bowl Squad

NFC OFFENSE

Tackles

LT – Jason Peters (PHI), RT – Tryon Smith (DAL), and Tyson Clabo (ATL)

The third-best pass blocking left tackle in football is also the best run blocker. Peters is an unbeatable combination of ability that makes him the best offensive lineman in the NFL this year. Only one player is even close and that he is Tryon Smith is remarkable. Not since Jake Long entered the NFL have we seen such an accomplished performance from a rookie tackle. Rounding out the selections is right tackle Clabo. Like Smith, Clabo is a better pass blocker than run blocker and while this may not be ideal for a right tackle, their respective prowess in that area is good enough for this team.

Just missed: Bryan Bulaga (GB) – He played very well and was much improved on 2010, but injury and hence lack of snaps went against him.

NFC DEFENSE

Outside Linebackers

DeMarcus Ware (DAL), Clay Matthews (GB), and Sean Weatherspoon (ATL)

So this wasn’t Ware’s best year? Certainly not but he’s still the gold standard against which all other outside linebackers are judged and, even with injury, he still played extremely well–although nine penalties is too much for anyone’s taste. Matthews got derided because his sack numbers were down but that’s just by people who should know better. They should know for example his 20 QB hits are first among 3-4 OLBs and his 39 hurries third. Weatherspoon struggled last year but now his talent is showing through; he was a force in the running game and did well when blitzing. He’s a little inconsistent in coverage but that’s experience and he’s every bit the player the Falcon’s hoped for when they picked him.

Just missed: Aldon Smith (SF), Brian Orakpo (Was) – Smith may be the next great pass rusher and be a rival for Von Miller for many years to come, but we can’t pick a player just playing in sub-packages can we? In Orakpo’s case it was close but not just not good enough; he gets pressure almost as frequently as Ware and almost identically to Matthews but plays the run far worse than either.

Read more:http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/23/pffs-nfc-pro-bowl-squad/
  2. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,861 Messages
    2,081 Likes Received
    Harsh words for Jason Witten.
  3. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow. Smith & Ware and that's it. Still can't understand why anybody choses Eli over Romo. The comment that Eli plays well in some games but not in others is a big indictment; so Romo sometimes has similar problems but still has better numbers, etc. The media has tried and succeeded in putting down Romo's quality performances. It's obviously all about the SB ring Eli wears and fact he plays in NY while Romo has no SB ring and plays for the "hated" Dallas Cowboys. Sure wish our defense was whole lot better; same goes for our interior OL. Would love to see Cowboys beat both Eagles & NY, take the NFC East crown and go deep into the playoffs--even win the SB but Romo would have to play "perfect" (also he would have to play in the secondary & on ST) to overcome Cowboy obvious problems.

But I so hate the media, other football fans and heck of a lot of Cowboy fans.
  4. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,558 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I know. I don't think he's regressed as much as there are just a lot more options/balance in our offense, combined with the stellar year Graham and Gronkowski are having it just makes Witten look like he's regressed.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    PF. Fantasy land of nerds. Since no NFL team uses their 'formulas' I see no reason to care.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,851 Messages
    2,580 Likes Received
    His blocking has been ho-hum for quite a while now.

It's slipped a little further this year.
  7. chip_gilkey

2,558 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    That is true. I have noticed that his blocking isn't quite what it used to be, good point.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,808 Messages
    5,523 Likes Received
    His blocking is fine. Witten hasn't slipped at all.
  9. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,421 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    Horrible list. Witten is closing in on another 1000 yard season so I don't know what this writer is talking about.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,036 Messages
    7,517 Likes Received
    Good old Tryon Smith.
  11. xpistofer

xpistofer Member

943 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Jason Whitten would be proud.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,036 Messages
    7,517 Likes Received
    And don't forget Keith Brookings.
  13. chip_gilkey

2,558 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Like nails on a chalkboard man.
  14. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,218 Messages
    394 Likes Received
    Lol @ no mention of Romo.

They need to tweak their formula for rating QB's because there's no way he hasn't been a top 4 QB in the NFC this year.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,922 Messages
    944 Likes Received
    lol, did you just call them nerds for making money running a business while you abuse them for free on a web forum?

Regardless, I couldn't care less about the pro bowl, so I've got no real interest in this either.
  16. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,421 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    Fixed that for you
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    well, those selling droopy drawers make money too. Not exactly impressed by them either. As regards posting on a web forum, what is the connection? I know some people could connect a crack on the sidewalk with the end of the world but you really are trying a little too hard.
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,922 Messages
    944 Likes Received
    The connection is that you're calling them nerds yet spend all day on a web forum talking to strangers. Glass houses and what not.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,999 Messages
    1,384 Likes Received
    They're nerds because it's a fantasy football web site.