1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFF Study on our Pass Rush

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dantheman41, Nov 17, 2012.

1. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    According to PFF and their pass rushing efficiency numbers:

2 of our D lineman rank inside their top 10 interior pass rushers (Ratliff and Hatcher)

2 of our outside linebackers rank inside their top 10 outside pass rushers (Ware and Spencer)

Don't really agree because I feel the pass rush has been an issue. Just thought this was interesting
  2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,637 Messages
    943 Likes Received
    I have had no problem with our pass rush. We generate pressure rushing only 4 consistently. We get in trouble when we get less aggressive in coverage or play too much zone (our players are better in man).

Safety, injuries and DL depth are my current concerns. A lot of what fans see as lack of pressure is really mistrust in our safeties. I cannot understate how bad they played in Atlanta and then in Philly. We are worried about teams getting over the top.

Injuries is obvious.

DL depth is just related to the age of the line. I'd like to see crawford take a greater role in being disruptive, and lissemore needs to come back.
  3. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received

You have no concern that the Eagles 2nd and 3rd stringers basically handled our D line and Ware all game? Or that Joe Flacco and Jay Cutler sat in the pocket for 5 seconds picking us apart?

Those things scare me!
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,399 Messages
    2,995 Likes Received
    Gotta keep in mind that Ratliff has only played a small amount so his contribution has been minimal.

And then Spencer has missed time too.

The pass rush hasn't been good.

But a big part of the problem is that Spears, Coleman, Lissmore and Crawford have had almost 600 snaps and have contributed 0 sacks, 3 QB hits and 9 pressures.

If you want to pin-point problems with the pass rush, it's right there.

For comparison: In 423 snaps, Hatcher has 2 sacks, 5 QB hits, and 17 pressures.
  5. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,507 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    the team's stats put them @ 20th in sack totals,,, 31st in interceptions,,, I'm sure the number of QB pressures are in the same vicinity.

That simply is not good enough.
  6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,637 Messages
    943 Likes Received
    Check our blitz stats game to game. It is rare for us to send 5 and even more rare to send 6-7. It's usually going in.

On the flip side, very often teams keep in RBs and TEs to help out. So it isn't that 4 couldn't beat 5 against the eagles; it was 4 was going against 6 or 7.

And we STILL knocked Vick out of the game and got decent pressure.

So yes, I am generally satisfied and wouldn't consider the rush a major problem.
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I do agree that overall our 4-man pass rush is deficient even when Ware is in the game.

I think Ratliff and Hatcher are just okay and don't consider them top-10 interior players on the DL. Hatcher is probably close but Ratliff is too frequently MIA to be considered top anything anymore.

I think we have to get ready for a major reduction in Ware's productivity which has already started this year, IMO. Another complimentary pass rusher needs to be developed and Spencer is not good enough to make up for a drop in Ware's production. This player is not on our present roster and I believe a first round pick should be invested at OLB next year and we should let Spencer walk in FA. I also think we need to seriously consider releasing Ratliff as his play is no commensurate with his salary. We'll need Lee, Carter, Ware and Hatcher to carry us in the transition while the new OLB and Crawford mature.

IMO, we should have started this last offseason but better late then never as they say.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,923 Messages
    9,007 Likes Received
    This is why you shouldn't waste your time on that website. You watch the games. You know better.
  9. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,181 Messages
    1,874 Likes Received
    That is THE problem right there, this team needs better there. And of course for Rat and Spencer to stay healthy.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,828 Messages
    4,895 Likes Received
    I'm still underwhelmed with our pass rush. After the CB additions I expected more.
  11. Risen Star

21,923 Messages
    9,007 Likes Received
    It never works back to the front. A mediocre defensive lineman stays mediocre regardless of who is in the secondary.
  12. big dog cowboy

50,828 Messages
    4,895 Likes Received
    Who said anything about our DL? All I mentioned was our pass rush.
  13. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,529 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    We've also faced the 2nd fewest amount of passing attempts in the league with 271.

TB has faced the most with 367.

Football Outsiders has us ranked at #11 with and adjusted sack rate of 6.8% which is tied with the NYG who are at #10.
  14. Risen Star

21,923 Messages
    9,007 Likes Received
    Front seven, then.

You made a connection with the cornerbacks added. Now you've seen that upgrades there doesn't do a thing for mediocre front seven players.
  15. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...hangs up his cleats we are all going to admire those years he carried the defensive line and lament the lack of support he has had.

The Wittens, Romos and Wares don't grow on trees year to year for the Cowboys to draft in their slots or find in rookie FA. We need more success in the supporting positions when you get those rare cornerstones.
  16. big dog cowboy

50,828 Messages
    4,895 Likes Received
    Mainly I'm disappointed in Rob. The additions on the back end should have eliminated the generic pass rush and brought on a more exotic blitz package.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    The main problem with looking at PFFs pass rush rankings is that they give far too much credit for a QB hurry.
  18. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,118 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    in all fairness, they have ratliff in the top 10 (on a per snap basis) and he's played very little. Spencer has also missed time, and that atleast in part explains the difference in the statistically breakdown and the actual results.