1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFT: Anthony Spencer will play under the franchise tag this season

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 15, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

68,577 Messages
    8,780 Likes Received
    Posted by Josh Alper on July 15, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT

There’s no need for Cowboys fans to keep an eye on the clock counting down to the deadline for franchised players to sign multiyear deals.

The agent for linebacker Anthony Spencer said that he is done negotiating with the team on a long-term deal for his client. Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones has indicated that the team is comfortable with Spencer playing out the year under the tag — which will pay him $8.84 million — and Jordan Woy, Spencer’s agent, told ESPNDallas.com that is exactly what will happen.

“We will start the season with his current contract,” said Woy. “We will see what happens during the season. I’m sure we will have a discussion before the season ends.”

Read more: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/15/anthony-spencer-will-play-under-the-franchise-tag/
  2. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,661 Messages
    488 Likes Received

He's well worth it.
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,385 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    Good he doesn't deserve a long term deal...
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,302 Messages
    1,997 Likes Received

and since the boys have NEVER made a long term offer, that kind of puts the kibosh on all this 'love' they supposedly have for him.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

53,878 Messages
    6,947 Likes Received
    Yea that's a shock.
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,760 Messages
    1,646 Likes Received
    You don't take hints at all...there is a rather small amount of current cap to deal with. That doesn't mean it has to now be dumped into the backyard of Anthony Spencer.

The current status of Tony Romo, given the Brees contract and the pending extensions of Eli Manning and Rogers as well. That puts into question the opportunity to extend Tony Romo before the ship leaves the dock and the distant shore departs the $17 M a year moorings.

No, the top dollar players for Dallas will always be retained with an eye to sudden and year to year adjustments.

There is a dual aspect, functionally, to the Spencer be allowed to sit with a Franchise Tag. First, it is some top dollar value extended now. That is very significantly above what he received even last year. This puts a little more of the return/reward aspect in his court.

To maintain that market value, he has to elevate his play somewhat now. NO question...but if he does, then the team won't be forced to go ahead and seek his replacement. The team will then at least have the exact value they desire for the position. It then is a question of whether he fits in what will be a transitioned picture by next season.

They already made a value judgement on his skillset for this season. He was given a Franchise Tag. That is a different consideration from what you continually slam him and others about...
  7. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,760 Messages
    1,646 Likes Received
    What, you'd want them to offer him a Roy Williams type deal?

But for Spencer, you seem to think he isn't at least in the top ten in the NFL....why?
  8. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,462 Messages
    2,760 Likes Received
    In other news...

The Dallas Cowboys offered Anthony Spencer a 5 year 40 million dollar deal with 30 million guaranteed.
    Per NFL rules, the deadline to sign the long-term deal was midnight on July 16 2012.
    Spencer did not arrive in time to meet the deadline so will have to play on his franchise 1 year deal.

When reached for comment on having missed out on the deal, Spencer said " i almost got there in time but got stuck in traffic".

:D
  9. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Being realistic, how much would it cost to re-sign Spencer to a four-year deal? The most I would even consider paying him would be in the 4-6-mil-a-year range.
  10. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,760 Messages
    1,646 Likes Received
    He should have pulled over and texted a signatured contract.

If he was offered once, then later on, it could be revisited during the season...but at least there was parameters in place. That is a pretty committed contract there.
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,462 Messages
    2,760 Likes Received
    i know

by the way, i hope it is clear from my post that there was no real contract offered
    this is a joke
  12. burmafrd

42,302 Messages
    1,997 Likes Received

they never even made and offer. Talk to Adam about how it could be manipulated under the cap. They did not make an offer because they never wanted to. I know that is hard for you to understand but try.
  13. burmafrd

42,302 Messages
    1,997 Likes Received
    you have to explain that to CC.
  14. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

19,676 Messages
    2,880 Likes Received
    Apparently...

:laugh2:
  15. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,760 Messages
    1,646 Likes Received
    If wit or actual stance were involved, hey, this would be a completely different thread than the jilted wive's club - growing.

There still isn't a shining ray of an example, either, that the Cowboys didn't want to retain Anthony Spencer. Which probably means that they felt he was paid enough without further consideration. Or that they were even unhappy with directions taken.

There are a combination of future costs on the table, besides those of Spencer. And the market projecting and revolving around the Dallas franchise quarterback, Tony Romo, is not the least of escalating potential costs.

Burma, keep hiding behind Adam and his stating that there is a principal that allows for the manipulation for any player's contract. If there were even a functional consideration, the team would be stocked with All Pro guards and a center.

Beings the Three Stooges couldn't assemble a credable defense of insult, as there isn't a snowstorm outside to cover up a solid situation already on the table with Spencer.

I don't mind contributing a whole fifty cents to your degenerative attitudes and low value system...go call someone who really gives a damn how you feel about Spencer, or myself for that matter.

burma if I had to surmize what the difference between your view and a gutter snipe's, I'd be hard pressed. You don't have a good word out of your mouth, unless you are trying to approach the realm of being crowned yourself. I'll give you what you have actually earned as your due:

Wooooo ho.:chainsaw: (echoing from afar...'I'm a redneck from Alabama.')

I kind of like your puppet show companion there, Stash is class for sure.

But the story of a shunning of Spencer, or some intensive humor to the contrary has yet to hit the thread...and your act is really lame.