1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFT:Cowboys “cautiously optimistic” they’ll go to San Antonio

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jun 25, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tiously-optimistic”-theyll-go-to-san-antonio/

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 25, 2011, 6:19 PM EDT

With the Ravens and Jets already announcing that they’re moving their training camps to their team facilities, and the Vikings announcing that they’ll follow suit if the lockout isn’t lifted by July 18, it’s reasonable for fans who make an annual pilgrimage to their favorite team’s camp to start to wonder if their team is next.

If you’re one of the 200,000 or so who visit San Antonio when the Cowboys have their training camp there, you can be “cautiously optimistic” that you’ll get to see them again this year.
  2. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,600 Messages
    854 Likes Received
    I hate to say it, but I'd be thrilled if they went into Cowboys stadium, closed the doors, and didn't allow anybody in till opening day:)
  3. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,394 Messages
    897 Likes Received
    I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to hold camp at Cowboys Stadium, other than wear and tear on the field (which they could replace for camp with a cheaper field, although that would negate some of the advantage).

I'm an advocate of playing where you live to further acclimate yourselves to the home environment. But that doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I know going to camp somewhere else gives Dallas a chance to reach out to other parts of its fan base, but I'm not sure that matters all that much.

Are the revenues they make at these different venues significantly higher than what they would make/save at home?
  4. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I agree... Wish they would just have training camp here in DFW.

I live in Fort Worth, but travel to San Antonio each year for training camp. That place is the dumps, other than seeing the Cowboys. The riverwalk gets very old....Would love crossing that destination off the travel list.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Won't happen. Can't sell t-shirts and beer that way.
  6. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The revenues will be there no matter where they practice. But practicing in San Antonio allows the team to bring the Dallas Cowboys brand to other parts of Texas and personally connect with fans outside of the Dallas area.
  7. bluenut

bluenut New Member

352 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly..I mean exactly why they should still come to Cali..:mad:
  8. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,394 Messages
    897 Likes Received
    If that's the primary benefit, then they need to work on hitting other areas in fairly close proximity to Dallas where the fan base is strong.

I just don't see this being that important. The Cowboys built a palace in Arlington, and can follow the "if you build it, they will come" philosophy.

People from all over would come to the stadium in droves to watch Dallas practice, just like they do in San Antonio.