1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Cowboys QB coach thinks Romo tried to do too much last year

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,673 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    “It’s certainly a double-edged sword with him, because he will make some mistakes, and he can create some plays and really cover up for some warts that we do have and give us a chance,” Wilson said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “Now, he has to balance that and manage that a little bit better than he did last year. That’s always going to be the emphasis.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...h-thinks-romo-tried-to-do-too-much-last-year/
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,774 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Yeah, when the rest of the team sucks, the QB tends to try and win games on his own. The solution isn't to change what Tony does.
  3. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,045 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    The rest of the team didn't throw 3 picks in the go-ahead winner take all game. Just a quick FYI.
  4. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

904 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    What I'd do is get a sports psychologist for Romo to improve how he deals with pressure situations.

I think he's a piece or two from being an elite quarterback - he can be fixed. Even as is, Romo is definitely the best QB since Aikman, or anybody they could get in the next 1-2 seasons.
  5. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Surround him with more talent so the team isn't so reliant on him.

Actually develop a functional running game that can take over parts of the game.
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,812 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    Truth.

Tony "doing too much" is also the only reason the offense made all those late comebacks.
  7. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

904 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    That too.
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,774 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Sure. If you only look at that one game and those three plays, your mind could be made up. I haven't the slightest idea as to why anyone would willingly choose to be ignorant about the other 15 games and the rest of the plays throughout the season. I suppose ignorance isn't a choice for many, though. Genetics, I've found, plays its role.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,402 Messages
    2,116 Likes Received
    Pretty sure anyone who watched last year could have figured this out.

Tony enough to be in every game and have a chance to win them, too much Tony to actually win them all.
  10. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,486 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Not that it matters but I documented that of the 19 INTs that Romo threw last year 7 of them were the faults of the WRs.
  11. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,688 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    Congrats on completely missing the point...
  12. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    How about looking at the bigger picture, not only one game?
  13. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2:

His hate sure does get old...
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    and he is probably not even in the top 5 of romo haters here.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    well the Daily Turd sometimes think they need to state the obvious again and again

Anyone with a brain can see that; Tony feels that HE has to make a play and that will all too often mean bad things
  16. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    Yeah, I know. All of us know who the number 1 hater is. ;)
  17. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,688 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    Does his name start with a J?
  18. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,731 Messages
    828 Likes Received
    That's really the only chance the Cowboys have to go far with Romo. The only elimination game the Cowboys have won under him in 7 attempts was due to a solid defensive effort and a running game that produced 198 yards. The Cowboys never got behind vs Philly during the 09 playoffs and built a lead enabling Romo to manage the game which resulted in a very solid performance and no turnovers. Entering the 09 season the Cowboys adopted the so called "Romo Friendly" offense that was designed to try and take some pressure off of him in hopes of reducing his turnovers.

It resulted in 8 fewer turnovers than he had the previous year. The 9 int's he had in 09 were the fewest of his career other than the 2010 season where he only played 6 games. The problem is no matter how solid a team you build around a QB eventually it's going to come down to them having to make some plays in a do or die situation to pull out a victory. To win a championship a team is going to have to win a minimum of 3 consecutive elimination games and at some point during at least one of those games it's going to come down to your QB having to make some plays or you're done.

If you don't have a QB who can carry their team on their shoulders for a quarter or the final few minutes of an elimination game you'll never win a championship. It's become too difficult for teams to consistently run the ball week after week and for defenses to consistently keep high powered offenses from scoring. With the rules today and the duel threat QB's no lead is safe.
  19. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,645 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    There's a lot more that goes into those 3 pics other then the QB but I'm sure that doesn't fit your weak agenda. Pressure on the QB, reciever running the wrong route or not fighting for the ball, the defense actually making a good play on the ball, just to name a few reasons. Footballs the ultimate team sport, its far from just the QB.
  20. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,731 Messages
    828 Likes Received
    The defense has really been an issue in these elimination games it starts falling apart near the end of almost every season regardless of the injury situation. The best the Cowboys have looked under Romo was the last 4 games of the 09 season including the playoff game vs Philly and it was due to the defense. Spencer came on big at the end of that season out performing Ware. The Cowboys finished up the regular season that year with back to back shutouts.