1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Cowboys QB coach thinks Romo tried to do too much last year

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Feb 17, 2013.

1. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,736 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
    :confused:

Are you sure? Which teams were they? Refresh my memory.
  2. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,110 Messages
    1,272 Likes Received
    The Cowboys shutout Washington 17-0 and Philly 24-0 to finish up the 09 regular season.
  3. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,110 Messages
    1,272 Likes Received
    Save these links it doesn't take any special skill to look things up. You'll find you'll get answers to questions a lot quicker by saving a few sites and using google.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com

http://www.nfl.com
  4. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,205 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    Yep ... that about sums it up.
  5. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  6. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,736 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
  7. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,556 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    no, but I think the point is Romo wouldn't feel so much pressure to force throws where a QB shouldn't have to because of the deficiencies in other areas of the team and the game plan.

Romo obviously makes his share of mistakes just like all the QBs out there do. You do have to admit there are a lot of times when he looks like a "chicken with his head cut off" (so to speak) trying to win the game and make something happen midst oline difficulties etc....

If we would finally build a team that doesn't lack in leadership and talent, Romo could very easily win it all. I would bet anything on that. It is just that this team for over 15 years has not had it all together in one way or another - no cohesiveness nor players (notice plural) who could pull this team together and work together to win games with conviction. I do not know how many games I have watched over the last 17 years where this team just looked like it just didn't care or they just felt they would win it without trying. Very Aggravating!

Anyways, we need to fix team deficiencies, and contrary to popular belief there is many deficiencies. This team does not have only but a few stars, I usually challenge fellow Cowboy fans to name more than 5 stars. After that it is a bunch of potential players and mediocrity. Could a coach like Bill Belichek get these players to the big game, possibly yeah, but under the current coaching staff (and I do like the changes we made assuming we also free Garrett of his playcalling duties) I think we definitely upgrade quite a few player / positions.
  8. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,182 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    ..why they were behind in the first place in most of those games. Until the other teams built up 14 pt leads, the other team didn't relax at all and we couldn't get out of our own way.

Romo had so many 3 and outs in the first parts of most of our games that we handed the lead to the opposition.

It was crazy.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS:starspin
  9. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,102 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    And yet we were 6th in the league in 3rd downs converted (5th in the league in conversion percentage). Over 70% of our first downs came from passes, which is the 4th highest in the league. We had the 5th most passing first downs in the entire league.

We have a competitive offense for one reason and one reason alone -- Tony Romo.

PS, don't open your mouth and you won't confirm people's suspicions about you.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,565 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    Good question.
    The answer has to be that people like have already made up their mind.
    One bad game equals 8-10 of them in their eyes.
  11. Trajan

Trajan Active Member

693 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    ^ This. Romo is the reason we are not a spitting image of the Campo teams going 5-11. Give Romo some help and we can play with any team in the league. Continue the path we are on and Romo will keep pressing which results in errors.
  12. lostar2009

lostar2009 Well-Known Member

1,001 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    well said
  13. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,043 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    What gave it away? Was it Romo having to tell EVERYBODY what they're supposed to do, where to line up and when to go on just about every play AFTER breaking the huddle?
  14. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,268 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Your calculation is short by 3-5 more picks caused by Wrs
  15. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,698 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    Very well said.

Wilson must know that the team INT % actually went down from the year before, when targets to the 3rd WR are filtered out. One would hope so, at least.
  16. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,603 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    I'm wondering why Wilson's statement is such a revelation and why posters think it's a slight against Romo.

We know who Tony Romo is. He's an exceptional quarterback who occasionally makes mistakes at critical times, similar to Brett Favre.

That doesn't detract from his ability to carry the team. Neither does it suggest that he's not that good because he needs help.

I don't think any quarterback should have to do it all by himself. It didn't work for Peyton, and it's really not working for Brady. You need players around you to win. Favre didn't win until he got Reggie White. Elway didn't win until he got Terrell Davis.

It's just the way it is. Romo shouldn't be doing everything. He needs help, both for his longevity as a quarterback and his desire to finally hoist the Lombardi Trophy.

Oh, and great post, KJJ.
  17. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    No. They failed to get separation, establish a run game, properly pass protect, and not commit stupid penalties.

Tony isn't perfect, but he HAS to do too much to win.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,049 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    True. He choked. But we're not in that position without him either.
  19. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,050 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Still think these are scary thoughts:
    What if over the past 17 years -
    1. Switzer, Gailey, Campo was succeeded by more of the same instead of Parcells?
    2. What if Romo was never found by Dallas?

Strongly suspect in this alternative history, the Cowboys would be well south of .500.
  20. StarWiz2

StarWiz2 Member

139 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I think Romo tried to do way too much to, like constantly throwing it to the other team while Rome burned.

And, as expected from an internet fanbase who can't possibly believe the Cowboys really have no franchise QB, (an undrafted franchise QB), because to do so means starting over, the excuses roll in such as: the OL is bad, he doesn't have receivers with mensa mentality, or, and this is my favorite, the coaches are so bad that Romo plays to the level of his coaches. Yeah, right, and my mother is not really my mother but my father. (I know interesting backstory there).

I'm glad Wilson has come out and publicly slapped Romo. Put the blame where it belongs. Romo is a putrid QB when we need him the most, and a great QB when we need him the least. That adds up to a mediocre QB with inflated stats, and that's not going to cut in the NFC East this year.

However, I do think that Romo is in the top 32 of all QB's in the NFL. And I further think that he can make the top ten if he would just throw the ball to the team he plays for.