1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Cowboys QB coach thinks Romo tried to do too much last year

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Feb 17, 2013.

1. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

671 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    OK, let's replace Romo with what was before him....a Q Carter, Testaverde, Bledsoe.

How do you like dem apples?
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,923 Messages
    1,816 Likes Received
    Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012
    Pass attempts 3,240
    Pass completions 2,097
    Percentage 64.7
    TD-INT 177-91
    Passing yards 25,737
    Passer rating 95.6
  3. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

482 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Thank JJ for that... Only JJ would try to recycle bum qbs. Also Since Troy Aikman was establish the starter for the Cowboys they have only used one pick in the top 60 pick on a qb !!! One in 20 years !!!! Dallas has never drafted a qb in the first round since Troy Aikman and Quincy Carter was ill advise JJ pick.
  4. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,096 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Wow, some have no idea what it takes. It is a team game and Romo's INTs count against his stats but have lots of other players fingerprints on them.
  5. Shiloht88

Shiloht88 Benched

64 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Stats really don't tell the whole story. Tony isn't the problem with the Cowboys offense like many have said in this thread, the issue is he is expected to do too much. We don't have a running game, and honestly I'm not sure we have a running back on the roster that can get it done. I question if Murray has the durability and the vision to be a consistently good Rb for years. Our offensive line stinks, 4 out of 5 lineman just aren't good enough and need replaced. Finally, we still have players on this team who don't know what to do after breaking the huddle, that comes down to coaching. There are many issues with our Cowboys, Tony Romo isn't even close to the biggest issue.
  6. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is the best perspective in this thread so far. Nice post tyke1doe!
  7. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,289 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    This would help!
  8. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,488 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    more cliched excuses.
  9. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,488 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    i don't agree with that.
  10. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

7,662 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    That's why Wilson's comment struck me as funny. The team passer rating was 68.2 to Ogletree/Beasley/Harris, and 95.5 to everyone else.
  11. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,494 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    According to basically every stat I have seen and that is available, Romo is top 10....

for career Quarterback passer ratings, Romo is #5 with a 95.6 rating (#2 is Steve Young with 96.8, 1.2 point difference)

Last year, Romo threw 28 TDs and 19 ints,
    if you took away 3 games (Chicago, NYG 2nd matchup, and Washington last game) Romo would have thrown 24 TDs and 7 ints

so yeah he had three bad games in which were against tough defense in chicago as well as a couple divisional matchups....

There are tons and tons more stats you can look up and you will find your observation of Romo as nothing more than aggravation and not the truth.

Everything points to a team in need of repair. Romo was the reason we were even in position to win in several games last year
  12. RW Hitman

2,494 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    this post right here says it all and is the truth with the exception that I believe Murray is the man with the problem with him being is that he doesn't have the benefit of having an oline that can make running lanes for him.

still is aggravating to see Romo have to point out to players where they need to be, when to go in motion, and he even has to point out where blitzes will be coming from and to break the route short due to it.
  13. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

11,832 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    "Trying to do too much on his own" is another way of saying he/she gave it his or her best try but failed miserably.

Don't want to hear excuses about Tony no more. No sir!
    All I want from tony is execution (not him, the game plan), sound judgment and cutting back on bonehead plays at crucial moments of crucial games.

Trying to do too much is the newspeak for failure, I am sorry to say.
    You never here of a consistently successful person trying to do too much on his own, I might ad.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,164 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    No.

No it does not come close to saying that. Those are your words, not his.

As for Romo trying to do to much at times? I agree. Sometimes it ends up being a spectacular success (many games) and sometimes (see Chicago game) the very opposite of that. Few make somethng from nothing better than Romo, so it's a hard balance to find. Maybe if he wasn't running for his life 2 out of every 3 plays he may not feel the need to to do much becasue he'd feel confident that he'd have planty more chances.
  15. GimmeTheBall!

11,832 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    Yes, my words. Glad you caught that. How could you not?
    Now you give our lad Tony another excuse, running for his life. Yes, I think there is validity to that. Still, the excuses rain like . . . rain. Trying to do too much, no running game, lack of an O-line, play calling. There are a million of excuses out there.
    Unfortunately, the enablers are many, the excuses are many and the playoff wins are few. The bottom line rules, not your affable way of looking at our OH NO manchild called Tony Romo.

Damn, I'm good.
  16. RW Hitman

2,494 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    for what?? taking a fact that Romo has not gotten to the superbowl with the Cowboys, and so anyone who gives reasons, other than the ONLY ONE YOU WANNA SEE (that it is Romo's fault), are just, how did you put it? - "enabling" or making up excuses for our "oh no manchild" Tony Romo"?

How about the truth that lies underneath your rhetoric, and that is that you hold the opinion that it is Romo's fault and somehow everyone who doesn't share that opinion is making excuses why they don't hold that same universal truth according to you and are just in denial....

I guess many of us forgot to look you up before we post such drivel....

Disclaimer: I post this as a reply, not as an insult. I appreciate other people's opinions, and I mean no disrespect. Just stating the fact that we all have opinions.
  17. GimmeTheBall!

11,832 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    Also, failed miserably is true. That Skins game was a bad game for Romo.
    It was uninspired by him. And that last, gosh-darned pass off balance into the blind left side of the field: That one pass ended the season. An 8-8 season at that. Had we gone 12-4 it would have been Romo's great season. but it was 8-8 and that is Romo's miserable season.
    An 8-8, in any other team, you'd have panic and a FA frenzy. Not in Dallas. We celebrate mediocrity by long-terming players and, aside from coaches, keeping the status quo. I dont know what status quo means but i think it is like keeping things as they are. And that be bad.
  18. GimmeTheBall!

11,832 Messages
    378 Likes Received

Ohhhhh, good backtracking on that, tough guy. I asept your apology.:D
    I thot you were a goner for sure.
  19. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

671 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Man, an agenda is blinding.

Romo is somewhere between Rex Grossman and Peyton Manning....some of you are trying to make it seem like he's another Grossman or elite QB. He's a pretty good quarterback - definitely not elite.

On the list of things that need fixing, Romo is not on the short list at this time.
  20. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,147 Messages
    657 Likes Received
    Romo is a middle of the pack QB. Nothing more and nothing less.