1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Cris Carter tells rookies: "You better change"

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jul 1, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Cris Carter tells rookies: "You better change"
    Posted by Michael David Smith on July 1, 2010 8:46 AM ET
    Former NFL receiver Cris Carter spoke at the league's rookie symposium this week and told the young players on hand that they need to conduct themselves like professionals if they want to last in the league -- even if it costs them friendships along the way.

In a video of his remarks at NFL.com, Carter can be seen discussing how NFL rookies should expect conversations with their friends to go.

"Your friends start saying, 'Oh, man, I knew you were gonna change as soon as you got into the league,'" Carter said, before telling rookies, "Yeah, you better change."

In comments that are especially important with the recent news that Mark Brunell is bankrupt despite making more than $50 million in his career, Carter told players to be smart about what they do with their paychecks.

"You better watch your money," Carter said. "Because when you get old like me, you better know that you still got some money. You're the one out there making it. You're the one risking your neck."

Carter also told rookies that they need to think about whether their family members really have their best interests at heart.

"You're talking about people who can drag you down quick," Carter said. "Make sure you keep them in check."
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Hopefully the rookies pay attention during these discussions. Unfortunately some will not
  3. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's good information, and I hope a lot of these guys take it to heart.
  4. Derinyar

Derinyar Well-Known Member

2,244 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    I think the more likely statement is that most will not.
  5. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Well I would hope that the majority will listen up but there will be some who think they know more than guys who have been there and done that already like Cris Carter.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    Watching the highlight of Carter's talk on total access last night it was obvious he was trying to make a point to the young guys. I don't know about anyone else but I was impressed.
  7. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    He has been doing this for a good while now.
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,732 Messages
    1,252 Likes Received
    You can't manufacture what you don't have or you didn't get while growing up. And that's the problem with many of these guys. They didn't get basic lessons in investing in balancing a check book, in saving, etc.

Then they get dump on them millions of dollars and don't know how to spend it wisely.

Moreover, I tell my sons it's good to be rejected while you're growing up. Then you learn what true friendship means, you learn how to handle rejection when you get older. So when people come out of the woodworks because you're rich, you know how to react.

It's amazing to me how many athletes who were multimillionaires in their careers are virtually penniless now.

An athlete should always take at least a tenth of his salary and put it away in a modest investment plan. Say, in Mark Brunnell's case, that's $5 million. At a modest 3 percent interest (That's what banks offer), he's making $300,000 a year. You mean to tell me, you can't live off $300,000 a year for the rest of your life? :confused:
    And that's not to mention the rest of the money you would have if you invested wisely.
  9. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Very true. I agree and I think putting as you said 3 or 5 percent away is something every agent should be telling these kids.
  10. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,573 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Okay guys I agree with the principal saving.

But good grief you ought to be saving more than 3, 5 or 10 percent if you're using Mark Brunell's career earnings ($50 mil) as a benchmark. Otherwise you will be living way below you're career means when you retire.

If you take $50 million/15 years (Brunell estimate) that's about $3 mil per. Then you're going to ask them to adjust down to $150k/year (which btw is 3% of the $5 mil example tyke gave - not $300k).

Sorry I picked this apart a bit. I'm a CFO. :eek::

But I am fully on board with everyone planning their finances. It is so hard to see the realities of middle age and retirement when you are young.
  11. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

10,011 Messages
    1,149 Likes Received
    Zzzzzzz! Zzzzzzz! Did Cris say something? *wipes drool from corner of mouth*
  12. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    talk to Mark Brunnel - if the rooks want to learn anything
  13. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,732 Messages
    1,252 Likes Received
    I guess I question going from virtually a middle-class income (assuming Brunell and other players were raised in a middle-class family) and living like a multi-millionaire. Don't they know their earning potential isn't going to last a life time?

A modest savings of 3 percent (yes, I was looking at the $50 million as a lump sum and not over the course of a career) of everything you make ($1.6 million a year over 15 years) still puts you at about $53,000 a year off simply your interest. And remember that amount increases each year.

I think what happens is these guys get big money and start to live the big life style. But I would do what Barry Sanders did. IIRC, he still lived modestly even though he struck it rich.