1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Holmgren would only coach Dallas

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 6, 2013.

1. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    Perhaps the best answer I have read here in a long while of someone supporting their position.
  2. TwoDeep3

6,275 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    Seen the schedule?
  3. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Yep about the same as this year. 8-8 sounds about right
  4. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Garret is here next year and has a slow start, Jerry is going to fire I'm during the season, especially if the offense is showing the same pattern. A one and three season would end his tenure.
  5. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,090 Messages
    305 Likes Received
    What I'm afraid of is that Holmgren would demand too much control and there might be too much jones at the upper levels with Stephen and Jerry also in the building.

But what Jones needs to do is to get somebody back in the building who has GM ability to help get this franchise ready for Stephen Jones to take over in the next 3-5 years.

Holmgren..He wrote the book on success in the NFL. He is a Lombardy-type guy.

Yes. Do it.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPress:starspin
  6. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Was he? I don't think many would agree with you there.. and do we really expect that he'll just take a demotion and stay with the team? Not likely.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    I think Washington is our only competition that has the potential to not linger around the 7-9 - 10-6 results and even that is a bit of a stretch.

Im sure we'll have a shot at the NFC East all the way until the end.
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,012 Messages
    728 Likes Received
    You gave up long before the schedule came out.
  9. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,596 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    Me neither. Give him credit though.
    He should be only coach with SB wins with 2 different teams.

There is no guarantee that Holmgren does anything except collect a 2-3 paycheck. Then he is out...then what?

Red is future.

Consultant - I agree. GM him for 2-3 years.
  10. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,491 Messages
    1,260 Likes Received
    How Parcells like? :rolleyes:
  11. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,348 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    Would take him in a minute. I like Garrett (not a coordinator), but we don't really know if he's ever going to have the amount of success Holmgren has had.

I'd rather turn the reins over to a proven winner than stick with Garrett just because we believe he's an up-and-coming coach.
  12. TwoDeep3

6,275 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    We're talking next year.

Funny how we do that a lot around here.

But to your point. I predicted about 8-8 the last two years.

How'd that work out for you?
  13. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I'm not sure it's all that curious. Most of the criticisms with respect to dysfunction come back to areas that the Head Coach can influence, so a good head coaching candidate might be attracted to a heavily resourced, popular organization with issues because he felt that those issues would be present under his leadership. That happens quite frequently in business with CEOs.

Still, I agree with part of your point - many are critical of Jerry when the truth is that to many high caliber coaching candidates, the positives he brings to the table outweigh the negatives.
  14. TwoDeep3

6,275 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    Or.....

That two coaches, Johnson and Parcells, went to the well again and got an extra several million from money bags.

Stick long enough to get him wet then soak him for an extra bit of retirement money.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,870 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    I do not believe either coach did that. In fact, both walked away from offers of more money.
  16. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,491 Messages
    1,260 Likes Received
    You mean the money?
  17. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    I agree with this.

In fact Jerry wanted him back in 2007 as I remember it. That's when Parcells drug his feet on his decision and we got Wade.
  18. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,870 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    By the way, this should make some people happy.

I have often pointed out that Parcells was 2 games over .500 and that was not good enough. Jason Garrett is also 2 games over .500.

That still isn't good enough. I am consistent.

I wanted Parcells to Coach 6 years here. I still think if he stayed in 2007 we might have won it all.

I am going to be consistent again with Garrett. Okay, that probably pissed some people off.
  19. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,944 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    It would take a 1-7 start for Jerry to do that.
  20. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,695 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    What is it with all the people who want a guy who's had more success at the buffet than football for the last 7 or 8 years? He had a hard time winning with one of the best QB's in history! He's a has been from the 90's. Barry Switzer has won as many SB's.

ANd John Gruden was given a Pro Bowl filled team complete and handed to him. It took a little over a year for him to drive it into the ground.

Garrett has had to build a new Oline and deal with injuries. He deserves another year.