1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Holmgren would only coach Dallas

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,124 Messages
    3,195 Likes Received
    Are you negative about every aspect of this team? I've never considered that of you. Therefore you have no need to defend yourself against my slam. I'm negative about the OL. We all have things we don't like. Some don't like anything. There are fans here that I've never even seen them root for this team. Worst kinds of fans in my book. Glad I don't know them outside this place.
  2. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,778 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Actually, Holmgren could not win with Favre until someone else eliminated the Cowboys from contention. Dallas owned the Packers until after the Switzer era.

Opie, as you affectionetly call him, had to come in and dumped his LT, Pro Bowl center and G his first full year. That took some guts to do that, knowing they were way past it. Plus he had a RB on his last legs. Marion lasted what? another year in the NFL? He had no safeties, and old MLB's. True not all the players he's brought in have had success, but really? Replace 2/3rds of your Oline and hit on it 100%. Who's talking fantasy?

It cracks me up. Go pluck another retread coach off the tree and in a years time you'll be crying to replace that guy to.

Garrett deserves another year without a doubt.
  3. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    Agreed. Parcells started from scratch basically.

Garrett had a much, much better starting point.

However, Parcells is also a coaching legend and probably Hall of Famer while Garrett is still getting his feet wet as a head coach.
  4. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,436 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    Garrett doesn't deserve squat! Stop with this nonsense. He's had is 5 minutes.
  5. PAINFROMUKRAINE

PAINFROMUKRAINE Active Member

191 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    I thought Jerry was the man in Charge of all personnel moves. Now Opie dumped the "dead wood" instead of Jerry. Opie has had 6 years. It is time to move on to someone else. If this was Wade as the HC in the present moment, every poster would be asking for his Head. Yet, Opie is getting another chance. This is a business. Average/Poor performance equals average/poor results. We need Outstanding Performance to equal a Super Bowl Victory. Opie is not the Savior. Jerry thought he caught lightning in a bottle or the Next Sean Payton. Jerry was wrong and he has to admit this to himself and move on to someone else.
  6. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Well-Known Member

1,306 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    I think a lot of folks overlook it is Reds idea to be the head coach and the oc. This is one of the biggest downfalls of the Cowboys this year. If Red would delegate that job to a oc he Dallas would of been a 10 win team.
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,080 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Nope ..... that is a Jerry demand.
  8. Hostile

119,124 Messages
    3,195 Likes Received
    Did you by any chance watch the BCS Championship last night?

"Process" was mentioned in reference to Saban several times. He's an idiot right?
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,436 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    Yes I saw it, and yes I heard it....I actually grinned.

So are you trying to say that JG is stealing Sabans stuff? :)
  10. Hostile

119,124 Messages
    3,195 Likes Received
    No, I'm saying this works and we need players who buy in. I know it works.

Rich Rodriguez, the HC here at UA almost every time he is on the radio here talks about getting better every day on all 3 parts of the game.

You can hate it if that fuels you, but it works.
  11. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,436 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    How long do you give Rich until he bolts? He's a gypsy, you know that.
  12. Hostile

119,124 Messages
    3,195 Likes Received
    5 years, but I won't be sad. I do not like that style of Offense.
  13. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,149 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    If you are trying to improve from point A to point B, you have to have a process.

Improve yourself, improve your team, improve your marriage, improve your vocabulary, ... none happen over night.

The way you approach practice, the way you approach games, the level of intensity in practice, your attention to detail, .. you try to improve from point A to point B every day, every practice.

But it is a process. If you are not willing to address the process every day, you will not improve.

People may not like everything about JG, but him stressing a process to get this team from point A to point B should not be one of them.
  14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I get what you are saying but it only works if the person running it makes it work.

The NFL is full of talent so its a thin line between success and failure. JG can't get them to buy in, talk about his process and then start every game like they did this year, have 10 penalties a game and lose. If it was foolproof, every coach would implement it. There are a lot of good people, with good minds that don't exactly make good coaches. That's is what bugs me about his process. We are done with year 2 1/2 and all I've seen differently from JG is the players don't quit after they are down and played bad for 3 quarters. Penalties is worse. Rushing is worse. Play calling and game management hasn't improved IMHO. So when does the process kick in?
  15. Hostile

119,124 Messages
    3,195 Likes Received
    :post:

Few will get that though.
  16. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,436 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    Great explanation! NEW POST OF THE DAY!!!
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    It's not that it's hate-worthy, it's that it doesn't mean anything. Every coach wants to get better every day. The key is if you can get your team to actually do it. Because saying the same thing as Nick Saban doesn't make you Nick Saban.
  18. Hostile

119,124 Messages
    3,195 Likes Received
    Wait, you're saying the players have not bought in?

You are so misinformed it is tragic. Go to DC.com and start learning how far from reality you are. In truth, you're not even close.
  19. Hostile

119,124 Messages
    3,195 Likes Received
    “Well, the process is really what you have to do day in and day out to be successful,” Saban told reporters. “We try to define the standard that we want everybody to sort of work toward, adhere to, and do it on a consistent basis. And the things that I talked about before, being responsible for your own self-determination, having a positive attitude, having great work ethic, having discipline to be able to execute on a consistent basis, whatever it is you’re trying to do, those are the things that we try to focus on, and we don’t try to focus as much on the outcomes as we do on being all that you can be.

“Eliminate the clutter and all the things that are going on outside and focus on the things that you can control with how you sort of go about and take care of your business. That’s something that’s ongoing, and it can never change.”
  20. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be opposed to the Cowboys bringing in Holmgren as an advisor (alla Dan Reeves), but I think we as a fanbase should also not ignore the fact that this team fought for Garrett when no one gave them a snow balls chance in hell considering their injury situation they had this year.