1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFT - Houck says Tyron Smith has talent level equal to Larry Allen

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Wimbo, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Cowboys line coach compares Tyron Smith to Larry Allen

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 17, 2011, 6:57 PM EST

Cowboys offensive line coach Hudson Hauck has been around the NFL for 29 years. There may not be a more well respected line coach in the last three decades.
    Hauck has coached up a lot of linemen, and he says Tyron Smith’s talent as a rookie matches up with any of them. Including future Hall of Famer Larry Allen.
    “Now Larry Allen had a lot of talent, so we’re talking about some pretty high standards here,” said Houck via ESPNDallas.com. “He has a tremendous amount of talent and I think what is mostly important with him, he really wants to be good. After every practice, it’s, ‘Coach, will you help me on this?’ He wants extra work after every, single, practice.”

Read more here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ne-coach-compares-tyron-smith-to-larry-allen/
  2. Dcowboy84

Dcowboy84 Well-Known Member

1,144 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    definitely one of my favorite draft picks we've had in a long time.

i don't care if it was a "sexy" pick or not b/c this is the type of player we needed.

and it's the first time i can remember where when i rewatch a game i'm always looking to see what one of our linemen does. and most of the time i'm giddy watching him play.
  3. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,902 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    That is a ridiculous statement. I'm sure Smith is going to be a real good player for us. But comparing him to arguably the most dominant guard in the history of the NFL is silly. It is actually kind of offensive as a Cowboys fan until Tyron Smith proves he can even be in the same area code of Larry Allen.
  4. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,087 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    He was comparing rookie season to rookie season.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,760 Messages
    10,049 Likes Received
    Hudson who?
  6. Risen Star

22,760 Messages
    10,049 Likes Received
    He's comparing talent. That has nothing to do with accomplishment.

Larry Allen was great, but that doesn't mean there won't be more great ones like him.
  7. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    First of all Smith is already a very good player for us. He's been one of the best tackles in the league this year no doubt about it. Within the next year or two he could be taking the best offensive lineman title away from Nick Mangold and Jake Long.

Second he wasn't saying Tyron is better or even close to Aloen just simply saying from a pure talent standpoint Tyron is similar.
  8. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,146 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    If Tyron had Larry's mean streak, then there would really be a dominant OLine man....Larry was power and rage all rolled into one....I loved watching LA maul people...
  9. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,357 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    I see where you're coming from.

But Tyron is already one of the better Right Tackles in the league at 20 YEARS OLD.

His ceiling is scary.
  10. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Tyron Smith is too light, he won't be big enough to play in the NFL..."

"Tyron Smith wasn't even the best OT at USC..."

"If Tyron was so good, why didn't he start at left tackle for USC?"
  11. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think this guy is going to end up being pretty good and also good for the team. He'll have some growing pains ths season and probably even next season but eventually fans will be really happy to have him.
  12. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,558 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Comparing them play as rookies at RT, Tyron has been better this year than Allen was. However, Allen was really a Guard who could play Tackle so he was playing out of position much of the year.

He does seem to be playing better each week and has been dominant the last two weeks. I don't remember anyone from the Hawks or Bills even getting close to touching Romo from the right side.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,153 Messages
    4,601 Likes Received
    If all he's saying is they have the same talent, I'll buy that. Right now Smith is not as good as LA was his rookie season. Not by a fair amount.
  14. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,266 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    Always slamming around the organization, Jerry, or coaches?...:cool:

Let's hear what Larry Allen and Eric Williams had to say about HUDSON HOUCK:

Larry Allen:

For all his successes, Allen credits his coaches (particularly long time offensive line coach Hudson Houck) and his teammates most.

*L.A.Story by Rob Phillips/Star Magazine - Nov 12, 2011

Erik Williams:

Recent quote about Hudson Houck....

'The absolute best in the business. And he hasn't changed over the years, either. You go watch him at practice today and it's the same technique we were using in the 1990's. It's not an accident that he has coached so many successful linemen. He puts you in position to succeed. Also, for us, he always stressed finishing the block. 'Make sure that guy doesn't come back and make a play downfield.'

As to Houck's comments, let's see what he said about Larry Allen:

'I still remember his first practice. Larry is opposite Charles Haley, who is talking a little trash and has no idea who this kid is. The first snap - the very first snap - Larry just manhandled Charles, which completely took him by surprise. And Charles, who wasn't a man of many words, gets up, walks over to me, and says, 'Coach, you have one hell of a player there,' and walks back to the defensive huddle.'

*taken from: America's Team by Jeff Sullivan
  15. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,266 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    Larry could drive block an opposing lineman whether that tackle was in a three point or four point stance. He also had very fast lateral movements...Houck does have a valid point. So does Tyron Smith and he pancakes quite a few opponents.
  16. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Speaking of Larry Allen, some one please post video of Larry Allen chasing down a DB who intercepts a pass from Troy Aikman. That was an amazing play by Larry Allen
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received

[youtube]DFcWMC9vkZg[/youtube]
  18. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,707 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    He's clueless but fronts as if he knows all. The stupid remark tells me he knows nothing about Hudson Houck. He's so embarrassing!!!:rolleyes:
  19. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The talent comparison is valid... I think this kid has a chance to be special.
  20. Risen Star

22,760 Messages
    10,049 Likes Received
    Genius, I was referring to the article's misspelling of his last name.

You'd think when talking about how good he's been, you might want to spell his name right at least one time in the article.

So you and Rowdy get no points on this one.