Jason Ferguson calls it quits Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2010 5:22 PM ET The Dolphins previously had planned to make it through the first half of the 2010 season without nose tackle Jason Ferguson, who had been suspended for eight games. Now, they'll have to start making plans for not having him during the second half of the year, too. The Dolphins have announced that Ferguson has decided to retire from the game. "Jason was a key contributor on three different teams for many years at one of the NFL's toughest jobs," the recently reclusive Bill Parcells said in a statement released by the team. "I am grateful and I will miss him." "You get what you put into this game," said Ferguson, who played for the Jets, Cowboys, and Dolphins. "I would like to thank my family, the fans and the organizations that I have been a part of for their continued support throughout my career, it's been an absolute blessing to play this long. I have built a lot of relationships, you develop an extended family playing this game; I would like to thank that extended family, the teammates, the coaches, the support staffs that have all played a part of a great ride." The move comes seven years to the month after Dolphins running back Ricky Williams shockingly retired in the days preceding the launch of training camp. As it turned out, Williams left under the threat of a one-year suspension for violating the substance abuse policy. Given that Ferguson was suspended eight games for violating the steroids policy and thus was subject to enhanced testing, it's possible (and we're just speculating here) that something happened to put Ferguson in line for another suspension, and that he decided simply to call if quits. Despite being suspended, Ferguson re-signed with the Dolphins for one year and $1.65 million in base salary. To the extent that he received a signing bonus, he'll have to give it back.