1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Jason Ferguson calls it quits

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jul 15, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Jason Ferguson calls it quits
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2010 5:22 PM ET
    The Dolphins previously had planned to make it through the first half of the 2010 season without nose tackle Jason Ferguson, who had been suspended for eight games. Now, they'll have to start making plans for not having him during the second half of the year, too.

The Dolphins have announced that Ferguson has decided to retire from the game.

"Jason was a key contributor on three different teams for many years at one of the NFL's toughest jobs," the recently reclusive Bill Parcells said in a statement released by the team. "I am grateful and I will miss him."

"You get what you put into this game," said Ferguson, who played for the Jets, Cowboys, and Dolphins. "I would like to thank my family, the fans and the organizations that I have been a part of for their continued support throughout my career, it's been an absolute blessing to play this long. I have built a lot of relationships, you develop an extended family playing this game; I would like to thank that extended family, the teammates, the coaches, the support staffs that have all played a part of a great ride."

The move comes seven years to the month after Dolphins running back Ricky Williams shockingly retired in the days preceding the launch of training camp. As it turned out, Williams left under the threat of a one-year suspension for violating the substance abuse policy. Given that Ferguson was suspended eight games for violating the steroids policy and thus was subject to enhanced testing, it's possible (and we're just speculating here) that something happened to put Ferguson in line for another suspension, and that he decided simply to call if quits.

Despite being suspended, Ferguson re-signed with the Dolphins for one year and $1.65 million in base salary. To the extent that he received a signing bonus, he'll have to give it back.
  2. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,951 Messages
    633 Likes Received
    hmmm, makes me think that when Dallas drafted Price-Brent today that there's going to be a Spears trade coming to mami soon
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Not a bad grassy knoll...
  4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,610 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Fergy was great here, very professional, and a solid veteran leader.

Enjoy life on the other side, I'd hate to work for the Dolphins organization.
  5. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why?

Ferg was a NT.
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Didn't you hear? We're moving Ratliff to end.
  7. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,551 Messages
    1,162 Likes Received
    Did I miss it or did the article tell when he entered the league? :confused:

Any story dealing with retirement or calling it quits should tell when the player started his career. Is that too much to ask?