1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFT: Jason Garrett: Morris Claiborne needs to become “stronger”

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Mar 26, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,156 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Two years ago, the Cowboys traded their first-round selection (No. 14 overall) and their second-round choice (No. 45) to St. Louis to move up to the No. 6 pick to draft cornerback Morris Claiborne. In two seasons with the Cowboys, Claiborne has started 22-of-32 games at cornerback, intercepting two passes. He missed six games in…[IMG]

Continue reading...
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,113 Messages
    6,898 Likes Received
    Actual quote

casmith07 likes this.
  3. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I heard we could get a 4th round pick for him and can use it for a backup OG
  4. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    aka stop sucking
    guag, perrykemp, khiladi and 2 others like this.
  5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,828 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    this i can agree with
  6. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,426 Messages
    908 Likes Received
    "We got." Are we sure that Garrett went to Princeton?
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Come draft time next year, guarantee we're
    looking for a new starting CB.
    Wheeltax likes this.
  8. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,528 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    Ouch.

This is criticism and dissappointment couched in benign coach speak.

When you invest that much in a blue chipper, and saying he isn't strong is a slam to his work ethic. Strength should be the easiest thing to build.

He either doesn't want to put in the work or he is a headcase. Doesn't help being compared to Deion off the bat. He is a great athelete but doesn't have freakish speed to compensate like deion, Darryl green.

It was a horrid move to give up 1 and 2. If we were picking at that spot, I can understand the swing and miss. Wouldn't like it but it happens. Trading another 2pick on top shows that the FO really missed the boat.
    JonJon and Alexander like this.
  9. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

913 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Really want Mo to do well.
    Idgit likes this.
  10. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,260 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Will be interesting if they go after Verrett, the kid from TCU in the draft. If so, that either spells doom next year for Mo or Carr.
  11. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,970 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    I didn't have problem with trading a 2nd to move up to 6th spot. specially that top 5-6 players are supposedly blue chip franchise type players. however, this points to a problem in talent evaluation and how we rate and assess players. they obviously mis-assessed his talent or his fit on the team. that year I was actually hoping to stay put and draft Flethcher Cox, now with Philly.
  12. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,654 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    I see him stepping up this season. I think 2015 Scandrick and mo will be our starters and we draft another corner early. Carr really sucked it up this past season. I don't see him recovering
    BigStar likes this.
  13. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,070 Messages
    1,622 Likes Received
    I still feel Mo has the potential to turn it around. He has shown flashes of that potential when playing press man. Hope his light turns on.
    yentl911 likes this.
  14. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,959 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Man theres just never good news concerning this guy or draft pick :(

And a lot of people were down on Newman as the 5th pick, but Id sign up for that right now. Newman had some awesome seasons
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  15. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,676 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I think the light goes on for him this year. He is super athletic and talented but as stated, he needs to get stronger. I know Dez really speaks highly of him and he just needs to grow. I don't see it being an issue for him to put on 5-10 lbs of muscle at this stage and get his play up to par. He just wasn't physically big enough or strong enough to play at this level.

I have not given up hope for the kid.
    casmith07 and CowboyStar88 like this.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,364 Messages
    3,712 Likes Received
    I agree he needs to increase this stenght. I also think this is a make or break year for Claiborne his contract runs through 2015 but unless he really steps up this season I think his days could be numbered. I really hope he can get things turned around and stay healthy
  17. Doomsday101

78,364 Messages
    3,712 Likes Received
    Especially in a zone defense. I think he is a good press coverage player I think his lack of strength hurts him in zone.
  18. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,676 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I think the coaches will adjust accordingly to be honest. We might need to blitz more this year in order to get pressure and he very well may need to play more press, man to man coverage.
  19. Doomsday101

78,364 Messages
    3,712 Likes Received
    You may be right. However I do know the kind of system Marinelli wants to put in place and even though I think you may be right about playing more man coverage than Marinelli may normally do this unit and this secondary will still be asked to play in zones at times and we must improve. I have no problem giving up a 4 yard pass I do however have a problem when that 4 yard pass turns into a 20 or more yard gain. Thing with a zone is to hammer the WR when he makes the grab and he should not be getting yards after the catch.
    guag likes this.
  20. Jstopper

Jstopper Well-Known Member

314 Messages
    392 Likes Received
    I just think Mo needs a second year in the same sytem, like he's gonna get this year. His rookie year he was injured during training camp, and he had many injuries this year. People cant make it seem like the Cowboys were the only team looking to take Claiborne and somehow we just crapped the bed. NO. All 32 teams had Claiborne as a blue-chip player that year, he was a MONSTER in college. I am willing to bet this is the year he blows up. At the time it was considered an excellent move. Hindsight is 20/20 though.