1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFT: Jason Garrett: Morris Claiborne needs to become “stronger”

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,859 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I am happy the guy is on the team because he has potential to be lights out...Carr has big potential, Scandrick is playing well...get a pass rush and these 3 will ALL be good to very good (or better) next season
    Denim Chicken likes this.
  2. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,667 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    He needs to get more physical and I think if he gains the strength needed and puts on a little weight he is athletic enough to be a solid tackler. Plus, a little weight and strength might help his ability to stay on the field.
    Another year now in an NFL weight room and some consistency in the scheme and he should take off. He shows too much skill and athleticism to be cast aside already. He is still super young and I think we will see huge improvement tis year.

Probably has the best ball skills in the secondary when he is playing with confidence. That's also a huge factor. Needs a shorter memory.
  3. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,980 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    I think he can get better, however, I've seen zero of the elite athleticism you typically see from a top flight CB in the two years he has been in Dallas. That worries me.

I believe one of the criticisms of him coming out of LSU was he had very average speed.
  4. Dorsett33

Dorsett33 Member

165 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Wow....what season were you watching? Mo was horrible. Carr wasn't great but he did have a stretch of 3 or 4 games where he was shutting down receivers.
  5. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,634 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    Yes mo wasnt great but I still think he starts and Carr is gone in 2015. Carr is not worth his contract. No shot
  6. ceerrece

ceerrece Active Member

275 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    I have faith that with good coaching he can reach his potential, after all he was considered the better corner in that draft, maybe even better than the ones in this upcoming draft.
  7. perrykemp

5,980 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    Actually, he was considered by <some> to be the best CB to come out in ANY draft since 1989 when a certain dude from Florida State was drafted by Atlanta.
    ceerrece likes this.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Best grade since primetime.
  9. perrykemp

5,980 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    As graded by the spectacularly almost always accurate Cowboys front-office brain trust...

;)
  10. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,371 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    This sounds very Felix Jones-esque, where we bulk up a speed player until they can't play the way they've always played.

Why don't we just draft stronger players in the first place?
  11. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,478 Messages
    1,193 Likes Received
    Deion ran a 4.27 40yd dash. Mo ran a 4.5. I never understood the comparisons
    Risen Star likes this.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,039 Messages
    3,511 Likes Received
    I agree. I have high expectation for Claiborne and have not given up on him but of course he has to step up and prove himself.
  13. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,689 Messages
    4,962 Likes Received
    Simple salesmanship to sell the fact we mortgaged a prime choice to move up for him. That's all.

If they were legitimately comparing the two and had a similar grade, that is a little concerning.

He was the hands down best CB in that draft, but leading up to it, you never heard Deion Sanders-type comparisons from anyone.
  14. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,371 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Switching both Claiborne and Carr to playing more man coverage would do wonders for them both. They're simply not well-suited to playing the standard Tampa II type of zone. It'll be interesting to see if Marinelli and the defensive staff is able to make the necessary adjustments to accomodate their abilities. Smart coaches adjust to their systems to augment their players, talents, not the other way around, as we witnessed with Kiffin as DC. It's up to the coaches to make the defense compatible w/our personnel. Otherwise, the personnel would have to be replaced with other players better suited to accomodate the system. There's no easy answer. Unfortunately, Jerry didn't know what he was getting himself into when he decided to go with Kiffin as his DC. We'd all better hope Marinelli has some ready answers to turn things around. Adjusting to accomodate press coverage might help, if that's the plan.
    yentl911 likes this.
  15. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    What's the over/under on Mo having a better season than Carter?
  16. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,371 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Mo will be required to recover his starting position away from Scandrick first before that even becomes a realistic evaluation.
  17. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

3,097 Messages
    1,272 Likes Received
    Despite all of his failures to live up, I still think Mo has something to give... but this is his make or break season imo.

And yes he has to get stronger.... physically&mentally.....
  18. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

3,097 Messages
    1,272 Likes Received
    yeah....uggghhh
  19. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,925 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Why is it that players are so good for other teams but when they come here they suck? Did someone put a blood curse on us or something? It's not the coaches either because we've had some of the best secondary coaches in the game recently.
  20. Jstopper

Jstopper Well-Known Member

297 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    There's been a rumor floating around for years that Jerry and Jimmy sold their souls to get those superbowls. You get sucess for a short time but at some point the devil comes back to collect. Although a sane person would laugh that off, the past almost 2 decades makes you wonder if its real.....