1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

PFT Jerry Jones: Garrett Doesn't Have To Make Playoffs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by birdwells1, Mar 26, 2014.

1. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

10,822 Messages
    5,512 Likes Received

it is a jerry specialty called "ambiguity"
    muddy the waters so that watever happens is what we wanted to happen and however it happens is exactly how we wanted it to happen, and no one knows who was responsible

win, win

alicetooljam and Aurican like this.
  2. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

3,131 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    On the job training for head coaches sucks

khiladi and Zordon like this.
  3. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,629 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    You are correct - Garrett doesn't really seem to learn from his mistakes - at least not for the long-term.

I think Jerry is hanging on to the Red-Headed Wonder because he knows he'll have the same results/fan backlash against yet another puppet head coach anyway and he is not yet willing to go the Parcells route again. So I agree with others that unless we really tank, Garrett will remain our HC for the foreseeable future.

alicetooljam likes this.
  4. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,629 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    Especially when they can't seem to improve/learn anything.

5. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

7,873 Messages
    2,883 Likes Received
    Sunk cost fallacy, classic poor management practice.
    Plus, you can't really apply any sort of investment rationalization to a perpetually under-performing asset that wasn't suitable for the task in the first place.

GKG culture.

6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received
    More and more I wonder what Old Man Garrett has on Jerry.

I'm kidding (mostly), but I heard George Dunham on the Ticket tell a story several weeks ago (probably old news to you Ticket hardcores, but new to me) that he was at one of Jerry's media parties years ago and somehow found himself in a limo driving all around town partying with Jerry and a few of Jerry's inner circle. Of course he later got the job as the PA announcer at Texas Stadium. He said he did have to go through the interview/tryout process, but he doesn't think he'd have gotten the job if not for that drunken night hanging out with Jerry -- Jerry either took a liking to him for some reason or Jerry thought he'd seen some unsavory activity from Jerry that night and this was Jerry's way of building an obligation so that he'd keep quiet.

Any of you guys who have heard this before (theebs?), correct me if I got anything wrong. But that's basically what he said.

khiladi likes this.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

43,299 Messages
    24,939 Likes Received
    Well, words are cheap heading into the season, but this backs up the way the team is acting this offseason, as well. There are a lot of potential failing points in an NFL season. Not all of them are necessarily related to your coach or your QB.

8. Doomsay

7,873 Messages
    2,883 Likes Received
    Well, Jason has been personally tasked with overseeing that defensive transition, so you are probably correct.

khiladi likes this.
  9. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,964 Messages
    940 Likes Received
    If that was the case he would be extended by now. Actions speak louder than words.

10. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

8,593 Messages
    3,509 Likes Received
    Nope. He still has years of training to complete. I think Jerry said he'd be upset if they trained him up & he went elsewhere & suddenly magically became a good HC. We cannot let that happen.

Doomsay likes this.
  11. Doomsay

7,873 Messages
    2,883 Likes Received
    What other GM in the league would simultaneously say that you can't be in rebuilding mode ever when you are fortunate enough to have a seasoned franchise QB on the roster, yet insist that your mistake-prone playoff-less coach for the past 3 1/2 years needn't even make to the post season in the foreseeable future to keep his job.

khiladi and TheXFactor like this.
  12. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

15,470 Messages
    6,142 Likes Received
    I think it is Jerry's attempt to not make Garrett look like a lame duck Head Coach in that if he doesn't make the playoffs, the players know he'll be gone.

In reality, anybody who makes definitive statements is usually foolish in doing so. But if Romo is reasonably healthy and the team fails to make the playoffs, Garrett should be given the boot once and for all.

YR

Dodger12 and McLovin like this.
  13. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

13,444 Messages
    11,859 Likes Received
    Yep it was in New Orleans. He told it a few years ago at the 15 yr anniversary.

khiladi likes this.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

20,557 Messages
    7,366 Likes Received
    The whole he never met a camera or a microphone he didnt love thing, is really getting old. Just needs to stop talking because we all know missing the playoffs five years in a row is perfectly acceptable right? We also know who isnt taking the fall.

15. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

6,393 Messages
    3,187 Likes Received
    Jerry likes Garrett for a variety of reasons, some of which he's stated many times and some that he hasn't. He likes that he can work well with him. I take that to mean Garrett is basically Jerry's "yes man" as Terry Bradfield so candidly put it and Jerry finds that to be a plus in his estimation. After all is said and done, it's not every coach that's willing to tolerate Jerry's insistence upon wielding the kind of control that he has throughout his reign. Another aspect of his willingness to retain JG appears to be the level of respect that Jerry holds for Garrett's intelligence, regardless of whether or not his practical application of it is sufficient. Thirdly, he likes Garrett on a personal level. I think it might very well take another 8-8 season or worse for Jerry to be inclined to part with his redheaded protege.

16. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

6,393 Messages
    3,187 Likes Received
    Umm, kindly excuse my reference to "Terry Bradfield" in my previous post. Let's make that Bradshaw. (Red face intact.) -- lol

alicetooljam likes this.
  17. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

30,268 Messages
    6,060 Likes Received
    I think Jerry wants to really have that legacy of hiring one coach and seeing it grow into sustained competition. It doesn't mean we're going to win 3 Super Bowls in a decade in the pre-cap era like we did, but before he hands the team over fully to Stephen he wants to be able to say "I hired that guy and we did it the Cowboy way" and not be a joke of a franchise like the Browns who couldn't even get people to keep their name in the hat for the head coaching job.

Heelsboy and McLovin like this.
  18. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

5,966 Messages
    3,164 Likes Received
    Your not bad at ambiguity either

19. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

30,268 Messages
    6,060 Likes Received
    I don't think fairness is the criteria being used. I think the front office came up with a plan that exceeds the assumed 3 or 4 years and is barely hitting the midpoint of that plan, and I think Jason Garrett is the guy they want to be here long term when the rebuild is complete and the "reload" phase begins.

waving monkey likes this.
  20. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

5,966 Messages
    3,164 Likes Received
    I don't agree with all your message but I think in essence your correct sir

casmith07 likes this.