1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

PFT Jerry Jones: Garrett Doesn't Have To Make Playoffs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by birdwells1, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

86,237 Messages
    8,913 Likes Received
    I agree but then I see that with many teams, GM or Owner is not coming out saying we do this or else. What is said in March can be a lot different than what will be done in Feb. I would expect any owner or GM to be backing his coach not running him down in the media. I also think if Jerry was completely sold on Jason then he would have deal in hand that would extend him and would silence all talk about Garrett future but he hasn't.

2. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

10,549 Messages
    5,158 Likes Received
    these are delusions of gradeur
    his ego is what causes the delusion

by now, i would not doubt that he has truly convinced himself and really believes that the 3 SBs were because of him and jimmy was a mere tag-along beneficiary and so he just wants to recreate what, in his mind, he had created before

the only problem is, he had never created that in the first place

JMO of course

3. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

2,209 Messages
    530 Likes Received
    Well I surely hope this is not what he's saying to himself in the small hours of the night. His elocutions illustrate quite plainly that no standard exists in Dallas save the one where the owner can get along with his head coach. The ambiguity of Jones in these little interludes of candor are frankly surreal given the last four years. Like I have said before, this thing has to run its course for better or worse and Cowboy enthusiasts can only hope that the outcome is the former rather than the latter.

daveferr33 likes this.
  4. kramskoi

2,209 Messages
    530 Likes Received
    I see the smoke my friend ... not yet a fire, but starting a new season without an extension in place is pretty much the pink elephant in the room.

5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

86,237 Messages
    8,913 Likes Received
    Myself I think Jerry is backing his HC up I expect that from every single team out there where GM or Owner backs and supports his HC, Nothing unusal about that. This is Garrett last season under contract and I do think before Jerry gives Garrett an extention this team has to win. No doubt in my mind Jerry wants to see Garrett succeed but then what GM or owner wants his HC to fail? I have said a number of times since the end of the season if it were my call I would have fired Garrett at the end of the season. Not because I think he is stupid or dumb or does not understand the but for the simple reason in the last 3 season as HC he has failed to get this team over the hump and into post season. Jerry on the other hand is giving Garrett the full contract to prove himself. I can tell you now I'm pulling for him to get it done.

6. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

7,808 Messages
    4,069 Likes Received
    I believe game management is perhaps the most over-looked aspect to Garrett's skill set. More than just the GB game where the offense refused to milk the clock. But the way games are conventionally played out.

If you notice with Dallas, and perhaps around the league, owning the ball and the lead late in the game is a plus. Positioning the team to have both, then posting the sufficient number of first downs to milk the clock is the chess match played by the head coaches, along with their staff.

I have yet to see Garrett sufficiently manage the game to position the team in this regard. Again, this is not about the GB game solely. It appears, and perhaps more than it truly is, that the mindset is to turn over the ball late and have the defense win it.

That hasn't worked out so well lately.

waving monkey likes this.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

34,816 Messages
    10,183 Likes Received

I thought we had already seen it through.

We're to the point now where we just know what we're going to get.

Unless he is completely hands off on all things X's and O's then we will have to have a perfect team to win in any type of Jason Garrett based scheme.

Don't get me started on his in game management either.

8. kramskoi

2,209 Messages
    530 Likes Received
    I am neither here nor there with Garrett. If he ultimately wins, fine ... if not, just move on. The thing that concerns me is the teams that are ahead of Dallas right now, namely Seattle, San Fran, New Orleans, Carolina, Chicago, Green Bay. How does Dallas close the gap over the next 2-3 years of Romo's window? That is not to mention the challenges in its own division, where Garrett has yet to finish better than second in all attempts.

You got to win your division before you can go places. An absolutely horrid division and Romo's willingness to play with pain likely kept Garrett from getting the axe this past season. He cannot count on the division being that horrible in 2014. I have always been of the opinion that if he could not win the division last year then when could he win it. In any event, the conference super 3 of Seattle, San Fran and New Orleans will be really tough to pass. Two have stud defenses and one, a highly opportunistic, well-coached offense. I think we can agree that there is a talent gap between Dallas and the conference heavyweights. Can this change enough in 2 to 3 years for Romo to get them some hardware? A sobering question to which I think I know the answer.

daveferr33, birdwells1 and khiladi like this.
  9. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

3,504 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    I don't know if you are becoming senile or not but the more optimistic you get the farther you will have to fall when reality sets in. Be careful!

10. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

15,856 Messages
    5,873 Likes Received
    Garrett is awful in every respect so far. Game management. Game strategy. I have never seen a Cowboys team systematically attack an opponent's weakness under him, not even bad teams. Now, it's becoming evident how bad he is at "scouting", with his "he's a good football player who can play many different positions. We need to see where he fits best." I mean what the, your suppose to have direction and pick according to a plan. Now you know Jason was pretty much neutral when it came to going 4-3 from 3-4.

Beast_from_East and cml750 like this.
  11. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

8,593 Messages
    3,509 Likes Received
    I've seen enough of Jason to know he is a awful head coach.

I still have a hard time believing the most valuable NFL team has settled for that guy.

12. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

15,856 Messages
    5,873 Likes Received
    We are like the Lakers right now, from management to coaching to players. That's how bad we are.

visionary and BoysFan4ever like this.
  13. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

8,593 Messages
    3,509 Likes Received
    Ha!

14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

34,778 Messages
    4,086 Likes Received
    Jerry has flat out said that they invested too much into teaching him how to coach as one of the reasons he supports Garrett going forward.

Not wanting to ditch on his investment, that's about as clear cut in not wanting to be wrong as it gets.

khiladi likes this.
  15. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

9,828 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

16. locked&loaded

locked&loaded its redskin season

3,340 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    you weren't jacked up at the same moment?

17. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

9,828 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received
    No Sir, not with the 4th quarter left for Denver & Peyton Manning.

daveferr33 likes this.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

41,982 Messages
    21,713 Likes Received
    Not at all. That means he expects a return on his investment. Which is perfectly understandable if he thinks he invested wisely.

You're confused by it because you suspect he did not.

waving monkey likes this.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

34,778 Messages
    4,086 Likes Received
    I'm not confused at all and I don't suspect it was a bad investment.

The very idea that he would even consider Jason an investment is a complete joke.

Basically he admitted to hiring someone on the hopes it would work out years down the road.

Now Jerry says that Jason's job isn't dependent on success and another season of missed playoffs doesn't mean anything.

Didn't hire him because of qualifications. Won't fire him in the absence of success. Jason's job hasn't been and currently isn't based on results. It's based on Jerry's belief.

Firing him either means Jerry was wrong from the outset or that Jerry's wrong about the future. He doesn't want to look foolish for hiring a guy he shouldn't have but also doesn't want to fire him because he'll "miss out" on all the returns he thinks are down the road.

Jason's job security rests solely on what Jerry believes which means Jerry's image is at stake. Or at least what's left of it in his mind.

20. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

37,322 Messages
    21,320 Likes Received
    LOL

They were celebrating like you do with 2 seconds left in the game, not the third quarter.

I understand why Spaulding could be confused, but I would hope that Jerry and Shy could have kept their composure a little.