1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Jerry trying to get Jason to give up play calling

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Joe Realist, Jan 12, 2013.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,036 Messages
    2,271 Likes Received
    I think JJ knows Garrett doesn't give us any advantages as a playcaller and he has changed his mind.
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,378 Messages
    1,402 Likes Received
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Agreed. I like Garrett, as a person, so it's pretty crappy to see what's going on. Kind of a dirt-bag thing for JJ to do to his coach. If you don't like him as HC, just fire him. Instead of firing everyone around him and hoping he'll quit. I think Al Davis did something similar to this a couple years ago with either Kiffin or Cable. Kept dicking around until the coach quit so he didn't have to pay him anymore. I don't remember which guy it was. It's embarrasing to the franchise.

On the other hand, I don't like Garrett the coach--so I would like it if he did quit.
  5. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,269 Messages
    2,465 Likes Received
    There are two ways this could go.

1) Everyone's worst fears about Jerry are confirmed. He is guilty of sabotaging his team's chances of success by usurping the head coach's authority.

2) Jason stands his ground and insists on keeping his play calling duties. If he keeps his job as well, he looks stronger in the eyes of his players.
  6. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Exactly.

Except I don't see number 2 as a positive because I don't like Garrett's offense. So to me, it's lose/lose.
  7. StarMan

StarMan Well-Known Member

1,027 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Strange things are afoot at Valley Ranch.
  8. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,579 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Good analysis !
  9. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    I could definitely see this scenario becoming a problem, very quickly.

I don't care what my job is, my boss asks me to fire my brother, I quit.
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Well, as bassackwards this all seems, there's also the possibility that Garrett agrees, we get a new OC and playcaller who is better at the the job than Garrett, and the offense improves.

Didn't think of that but you're right, Al did that to at least one coach before.

Next stop, watch for the PC emphasizing firing Garrett "with cause". :laugh2:

But if I had to bet, I would say that the best chance is all this is overblown. I bet Jerry doesn't really want Garrett to quit. I bet he's just unhappy with the offense (as he should be) and wants someone else to run things.
  11. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,544 Messages
    2,113 Likes Received
    I dunno about that. If we both worked at Burger King, sure I would quit. But, if I was HC of an NFL team(making a lot of cash), I send him packing and do my best to help him find a job elsewhere with some money to get him by :)
  12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Maybe I wouldn't quit, haha, I do have a family after all. But, I would definitely be pissed that's for sure.
  13. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,654 Messages
    1,012 Likes Received
    Everybody thinks Jerry is blowing hot air or smoke.

I always supported Jerry, The only strike he has with me is the Rob Ryan thing...but Jerry does not play.
  14. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,863 Messages
    1,676 Likes Received
    So you'd be happy if Garrett stays and keeps calling plays. :D

/reality
  15. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,863 Messages
    1,676 Likes Received
    What is really entertaining to me is that all of the people were screaming for Jerry to take away Garrett's play calling and now everyone seems upset that there are unconfirmed rumors that he is trying to do just that.

What would really be funny is if they get their wish and Garrett is fired, then Jerry hires someone like Norv Turner to be head coach. What really confuses me is how so many fans say Jerry has no clue and yet they want him to fire Garrett. It's like they assume he will choose one of their candidates for head coach when, if Jerry is as lost as they would have you believe, logic would dictate he would make a bad replacement choice as well.

It's sort of like when you break up with someone thinking you'll get someone better, only to realize you were lucky to have them once you see what is available and interested in you.

/reality
  16. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    People don't make a whole lot of sense when the are full of rage and agendas.
  17. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,885 Messages
    251 Likes Received
    It does seem that even Jason Garrett could be on the chopping block.
  18. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,149 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    I think most people that want Garrett fired are also pretty consistent that they want a proven commodity hired as a replacement with the clout to stand up to Jerry - a Gruden, Holmgren or Cowher. Someone who can wrest some control back from Jerry like Parcells did.

I think this is more relevant to the people who want Romo cut or traded - Jerry "Quincy-Hutch-Drew" Jones will be drafting his replacement, and that is not going to be pretty when it happens.
  19. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Oh geez, please don't say that. :(
  20. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

This is what has me confused as well with the "up in arms" crowd. They are getting what they wanted all year long but when it appears that it is happening they fall on the argument that Jerry is undermining Garrett's authority.

Just like Skip Peete failed his group in the film room, I suspect that John had the same problems with his guys.

On one of the NFL Turning Point episodes there was a scene where Romo was quite upset with Witten on a failed play. Romo was yelling at him because Witten didn't see the same adjustment Romo saw. It seemed like another indicator that film studies were an issue with the TE group. I could go on a separate thread but I just wanted to point out that just because the Garrett's are brothers it doesn't absolve the fact that the offense was out of sync.