1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Jerry trying to get Jason to give up play calling

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Joe Realist, Jan 12, 2013.

1. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    It is not nearly as important in man vs a scheme where you are giving up the catch and rallying up to tackle before the first down. Different schemes emphasize different strengths and different player attributes.
  2. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,550 Messages
    731 Likes Received

Tackling is important in any scheme, to think otherwise is crazy.
  3. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Trying?

Here's the easiest way: Jason, you're giving up playcalling
  4. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Zone corner is not some made up term.

Nowhere did I say it was not important as evidenced by our poor safety play over the past five years.
  5. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,550 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    I know it's not but saying that "zone corner" emphasizes tackling over a "man corner" is made up.
  6. rat2k8

rat2k8 Well-Known Member

808 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    So when is the end of the world now?
  7. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    In zone corners are a bigger part of your plans to stop an outside run.
    Typically a zone corner is a little bigger and more physical guy but may be half a step slower than the man guy but not as quick. Chris cook in Minnesota is a guy that would have no chance of playing for the jets but is fine for the Vikings. Tackling is more important because the plan of the defense is to allow the receiver to catch it. That is not true for press man. You certainly could have a player that can do everything. I'm not saying u don't.

We will probably run some Denver type of scheme anyway that does not use a high percentage of cover 2
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,762 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    I agree. I would never want a head coach who is being told what to do by our idiot GM.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,617 Messages
    2,507 Likes Received
    How does the GM "try" to do that? It may be that they are looking, Mort found out and did like everyone here and filled in the gaps. Jerry is a dealmaker and not a dictator. People lose sight of that.
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I really don't see how it's that insulting to Garrett to take away his play calling, because he's doing something that very few head coaches in the NFL are doing by calling his own offensive plays. There's certainly not any doing it well, other than maybe Mike McCarthy. It's just too much for a HC to have on his plate. The only thing you're asking Garrett to do is what every other coach in the NFL is doing.

The firing your brother thing is definitely tricky, but this is what you get when you put family/best friends/etc. as your subordinates or employees. It's always fun to hire your buddies, until you have to do boss stuff and reprimand/fire them. Mike Munchack just fired several of his assistants today, and I'm sure they weren't all his idea.
  11. Risen Star

22,762 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    Because the head coach should decide whether he calls the plays or not. Not the lunatic owner.
  12. FuzzyLumpkins

16,617 Messages
    2,507 Likes Received
    What about the GM?
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The HC's in the NFL who are given complete full reign to do whathever they want can maybe be counted on one hand, and they have a hell of a lot more skins on the wall than Jason Garrett does. Mike Munchack just had to let go of about half of his staff, do you think those firings were all his idea?
  14. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Belichick shanny fisher pete carrol maybe Jim Harbaugh

I can't think of any others.
  15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received

Basic timeline of events...

a) Jerry is just babbling on about "making things uncomfortable", yeah right! There will be no changes. Everything will be the same as it was last year. Expect all the same coaches and more status quo. Same players and same coaches. Jerry makes me sick.

b) What? Jerry fires Rob Ryan? Of coure, he would never hold his Golden Boy Garrett accountable, and Ryan is made the scapegoat. Where are the changes to the REAL problem on the team .... the offense? Jerry makes me sick.

c) What? We're changing defensive schemes? Why are we making major changes? This is really messing up our continuity. Jerry makes me sick.

d) What? We're making major changes to the offense and Garrett might have his play calling taken away? This is so humiliating for Garrett. Gosh I feel bad for him. Jerry makes me sick.

You basically have a huge subject of fans who aren't going to be happy with any move the Cowboys make as long as Jerry Jones is alive. Why these people continue to follow the team or find some other team is beyond me. Must be a miserable life.
  16. Risen Star

22,762 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    No. Not him either. Nobody should tell the head coach how to coach. Nobody.
  17. Risen Star

22,762 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    The head coaches who have the power to decide their staffs and whether they call the plays can be counted on 6 hands.

To try to sell the idea that this is common practice for an owner or GM to micromanage the head coach like this won't fly with anybody who has a clue.

It does not happen. Unless you are mismanaged.
  18. VThokie7

VThokie7 Well-Known Member

1,965 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    Then who exactly should the Head Coach report to? It isn't uncommon in the NFL for a GM to influence and push change if they feel it necessary. Of course in other organizations the GM's rear is on the line too, and obviously that isn't the case here. But the Head Coach reports to the GM plain and simple.
  19. FuzzyLumpkins

16,617 Messages
    2,507 Likes Received
    While I agree that Jerry is a bad GM, I disagree on this if you have a talented GM. A coaches job is to coach players, make them better and perform on the field.

The GM's job is to manage the team. For me the idea circumstance is when a GM and coach work together but at the end of the day in an NFL hierarchy the GM has final say short of the owner.
  20. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    That's not true. Kubiak was told wade is your dc. He can decide his staff and he is getting most of our free agent money and draft picks. Dimitroff dictates alot of what happens in Atlanta. Whoever was working for holmgrein was not getting free reign.