1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Jerry trying to get Jason to give up play calling

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Joe Realist, Jan 12, 2013.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,584 Messages
    2,461 Likes Received
    What happened the season after? Sure they lost today but 10-6 and a playoff win combined with 12-4 and a first round bye after the owners 'meddling' kinda makes the 'owners shouldn't do that' schtick look pretty dumb.

There is no self evident, inherently existential 'right' way to run a football team. We each have our own principles but at the end of the day its success and results that determine what is 'right.'
  2. FanSince61

FanSince61 Thanks for the memories Dandy

865 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    My take on this from reading different sources is JJ and others want John Garrett gone. JJ wants to keep Jason, but wants him to fire his brother and probably give up play calling. Jason has refused to fire John. I heard Jason is very upset with the situation and is exploring his options.

IMO, JJ has a mess on his hands. I think if JJ fires one Garrett he probably has to fire all of them. Then he has to find a new HC with a DC already in place.

Will just have to wait for another episode of As VR Turns. :D
  3. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm of the opinion that at the very least Mr. Entitlement should have his play calling taken away. He was never qualified for the job to begin with. I don't care for Garrett at all. On top of his coaching issues I think he is a weasel of a human being.
  4. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,465 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received

Dude, that went right over your head................LOL

He said 6-8 wins PER SEASON, not that we are going to be 6-8.
  5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    The problem is his candidate list would really be Gruden or Gruden because he hand picked a D coordinator kind of like hand picking Garrett before Wade was hired. This is where he gets in trouble.
  6. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,111 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    If they cannot agree than Jerry needs to fire jason ASAP and hire Ray Horton or Lovie Smith. Really don't see another option unless they can entice Gruden to leave the booth.
  7. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    If Jason is fired, then Lovie will be hired. Gruden and Kiffen don't get along, they had a falling out in Tampa.

Horton I don't see happening because JJ will want someone with experience. Lovie and Kiffen get along and can work together.

What a freaking mess. Thanks Jerry, you idiot.

17 years and counting, what once was a proud franchise is now a total disgrace.
  8. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,111 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think you're right. To be honest though I'm not so sure this team wouldn't be better off with Smith now because Garrett might be neutered to the point where his credibility is lost.
  9. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    You are making assumptions based on fan and media speculation. The media said Payton would be our next coach. The media said Jerry talked with Gruden months ago. The media says a lot of things and fans just assume it is true if they hear it repeated enough. The media can guess and assume all day because no one calls them out for it.

It is just like when the media started posting rumors about Payton maybe ending up in Dallas, all of a sudden the "fire Garrett!" posts exploded. When Dallas was about to play Cleveland, rumors started over Holgrem was interested in coaching the Cowboys and how he was good friends with Jerry so he must be the coach in waiting. Then Dan Patrick claimed he heard from someone that Jerry talked to Gruden (which was never confirmed by the way) so suddenly he's the one we will get if Garrett is fired.

I just find it funny that so many fans openly dismiss Jerry's ability to make good football decisions (I'm not arguing that point by the way), yet seem to think he will make the right choice (with the right choice being their candidate) should he fire Garrett. I think that's wishful thinking at best and foolish logic at worst.

While I am not sold on Garrett yet, I am not down on him either. That said, when I stop thinking about the good coaches who could possibly replace him and start thinking about the not-so-good coaches that Jerry might hire instead, suddenly, I'm a lot more willing to give Garrett more time. :D

It's the "be careful what you ask for" scenario that concerns me.

/reality
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    I don't think getting Lovie Smith would be a mess. That would be a step in the right direction.
  11. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,116 Messages
    1,665 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Jerry hired Lane Kiffin as head coach. :(
  12. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    I like Lovie as well. Just need a quality OC, which was his downfall in C-Town...along with a terrible OL.
  13. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

1,251 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    This is unfortunately true.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received

I just think Romo has had enough time under Garrett's system and the results just aren't coming in. If anything I believe this offense has underachieved and the coach doesn't adjust to things that actually make his offense work.

Looking around the playoffs you see fast pace offenses that aren't lethargic at all. Dallas is more suited for that kind of play but yet we try to play a lethargic style of football.

I think you're right about not getting rid of Garrett because of what else is out there but we need a change with our offense. Hopefully that is getting done.
  15. Reality

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    Exactly :D

/reality
  16. Reality

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    I think the main issue has been with our offensive and defensive lines. Most of us were complaining about the offensive line last off-season and Jerry/Garrett tried to use unproven youth and recycled/unwanted veterans to fix it and it failed.

This is probably the one thing that irritates me the most about Garrett's offense. We play like we have a huge lead in every game even when we are down. Nothing proves this more than our second halves of games compared our first halves this season. By the second half, the team was down or pressured enough that we had to speed things up.

When you look at good teams, they break from the huddle with energy. The team hurries to the line. When Dallas breaks the huddle, they casually walk to the line, Romo repositions at least one receiver if not two, then he sets up, fakes a snap count, then walks up to the line shouting out adjustments, then walks back only to snap it with 1-3 second left.

When I watch teams like Seattle, New England, etc. there always seems to be a sense of urgency, focus and determination with the whole team. The Cowboys have more of a sense of hope than those attributes.

That's basically how I feel. I don't have any specific changes in mind when it comes to the non-player part of the team, but I definitely agree that things need to change, if for no other reason than what we have been doing, right or wrong, has not been producing results.

/reality
  17. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Truth here. Wade was forced on Smith and Kubiak. Kubiak had hired his Denver cronies for years at D Coordinator and was also a horrible game manager,,,still is at times. People were calling for heads to roll. The fanbase was writing letters to McNair. Basically Bum got in here ear, told him to hire his boy at D Coordinator and that decision went down.
  18. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,844 Messages
    2,326 Likes Received
    great post
    agree with this

when you watch NE, close to the red zone, they just dont give the opposing defense any time to adjust or even to get set
  19. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Just to clear things up. I'm not buying into anything. In fact I was out of pocket all weekend reading things and today was the first I read of this. I'm just saying that Jerry kind of tied his own hands again by hiring a D Coordinator first if Garrett REALLY was a 50/50 proposition. Especially if his goal is to change the culture and bring in a strong coach. To me that is a mistake. Just fire them all and let someone do their thing. That is why I can't see this rumor happening. I'm not a Garrett fan. Think he is in over his head. But right now I just see a cluster at Valley Ranch and it is why the other day I was saying that all of this seems "by the seat of the pants" vs well planned. I got ripped for saying it, but it seems that way at times.
  20. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received

It does seem like it's "learn as you go" every year with Jerruhh....all 17 of them.