1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: League, players squabble over deadlines in antitrust lawsuit

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 20, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,905 Messages
    3,852 Likes Received
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT

The to-lift-or-not-to-lift-the-lockout fight currently pending in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit represents only the first battle in the war declared by the players via the Tom Brady antitrust lawsuit. Regardless of whether the lockout is or isn’t lifted, the case will continue.

As Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal reported earlier today, the league wants to delay until July 6 its deadline for responding to the complaint filed on March 11. The players have opposed the request.

Read the rest: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...squabble-over-deadlines-in-antitrust-lawsuit/
  2. WoodysGirl

64,905 Messages
    3,852 Likes Received
    Owners continue to wallow in their 2006 blunder

Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2011, 2:08 PM EDT

As the lockout continues and the litigation continues and everything but actual negotiation continues, one of the points the owners make from time to time to justify their quest for a new deal now relates to the fact that they did a bad deal in 2006.

“We made a mistake, no question about it,” Giants co-owner John Mara told Mike Lupica of ESPN 1050 in New York, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “And we deserve criticism for making that mistake. The players, themselves, have acknowledged that they made a great deal back in 2006 and there were a number of us, myself included, who didn’t fully understand what we were doing in 2006. We understood pretty quickly, within about a year after that. At the end of the day, we’re businessmen who love football and we want to get a deal done that makes sense for our businesses and that’s good for the game and allows the game to grow. There is a deal there to be made that would be fair for both sides.”

Read the rest: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/20/owners-continue-to-wallow-in-their-2006-blunder/
  3. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Active Member

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Nice. Within one hour Florio manages to tar lawyers in general with the practice of docket fraud (without "accusing any specific lawyer", of course) while suggesting that Goodell had self-interested motives for "allowing" a deal that, so far as anyone knows, he had little, if any, control over.

When did innuendo become an acceptable substitute for responsible journalism?
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    When that journalist is a lawyer? :muttley:
  5. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,168 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    Right about the time that folks took notice that the National Enquirer was making money.

:rolleyes:
  6. WoodysGirl

64,905 Messages
    3,852 Likes Received
    Florio isn't a journalist, tho. He's a lawyer-turned-sports blogger.

The rules by which most professional journalists abide have blurred with the advent of blogging...

Which is where the lines are blurred, because reporting and opinion pieces have merged into one.
  7. Outlaw Heroes

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  8. Outlaw Heroes

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    My guess is that lawyers and journalists would both be eager to disclaim any association with him. Let's give him to the bloggers.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    another log from the Daily Turd
  10. WoodysGirl

64,905 Messages
    3,852 Likes Received
    Maybe so. People just need to learn how to use their personal BS filter.

The first half of the blog was the meat of the news. The rest was just filler.
  11. Outlaw Heroes

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I prefer to call out BS when I see it. Particularly if it's the only part a blog that's noteworthy.
  12. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,484 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    That specific author has never departed from yellow journalism to begin with...and as to ethic vantage, he holds very low personal accountability to his endeavors.

Even as a sports related persona, he makes a very poor Howard Cossell.
  13. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,484 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    And as a soldier, he would have NO place in the fox hole with myself. I don't need to fight final resolution of my own integrity with that of a real enemy.