1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT:Mayock: Combine may put Robert Quinn in mix for No. 1 overall pick

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 23, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ut-robert-quinn-in-mix-for-no-1-overall-pick/
    Mayock: Combine may put Robert Quinn in mix for No. 1 overall pick
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 23, 2011, 12:43 PM EST
    Former North Carolina defensive end Robert Quinn didn’t play in 2010 because of a suspension for receiving illegal benefits from an agent. And it may not matter.

Quinn still has a chance to be taken No. 1 overall in April’s draft, according to NFL Network’s Mike Mayock. Speaking on the Rich Eisen Podcast, Mayock said he expected Quinn to “blow up” the Combine.
  2. cowboyjoe

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Lets see now, we have Cam Newton, Fairley, and now Quinn possibly number one overall. Would that help push Patrick Peterson down to us?
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,855 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    A team would have to be run by idiots to upgrade Quinn to #1 overall based purely on his workout numbers.

The only thing that really helps us with Peterson is Cam going in the Top 8. I think it was assumed Fairley and Quinn had a good chance to go in the Top 8.
  4. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,844 Messages
    70 Likes Received

Basically.

Im more rooting for guys like Aldon Smith, Dareus, and JJ Watt. I heard Gabberts not throwing though
  5. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received

i agree for the pro guys but for us experts ;) i am really looking foward to see this guy. Like most people i change my mind every day on what i want us to do :D after the combine i think most of us will have our boards set. Put a gun to my head and make me pick today and i take this guy over prince (assuming PP is gone) i just think this guy could be a weapon in our new freaky defense.
  6. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,850 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    That's like Dez going top 10 last year, its a possibility had he played, but its not since he didn't.
  7. cowboyjoe

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    true, but dez's 40 times wasnt that impressive, then everyone saw the top talent dez had playing this year till he got hurt

and teams generally forget this, when a player drops because of not running good times,then teams reach and draft the next year

example, chris johnson rb, ran a fantastic 40 time, but teams didnt reach for him, the next year, teams reach for players like that

one year, teams wont reach, but when some players like a chris johnson, the raiders pick and chiefs pick last year, when they do good, then teams tend to reach for them

then if they dont make it, that first year, then following year, teams wont reach, its a cycle like that, but understand your thinking, been wondering where youve been buddy,
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Another Mayock gem.
  9. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Are the Skins picking at #1? I am just saying....
  10. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I agree with the principle of your statement if they were used as a stand alone barometer, but at this point of the off-season, the workout numbers are, basically, the only major differences between the top players.

By now, they've gone over their films dozens of time, checked their background, done their work with their respective schools and coaches and have, pretty much, put a semi-final grade on the top guys. The workout numbers, as well as interviews, are probably what's going to give that final push for them.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,855 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    That may very well be the case, I can see it solidifying your opinion of a guy. But in this case I'm talking about Quinn specifically.

If workout numbers confirm to you that yes, Suh should be your pick and not McCoy, that's one thing. (Which shouldn't even have been a debate really, based on how dominant Suh was on film vs McCoy)

But if McCoy had shown up at the combine, run a 4.6 and did 37 reps, should you then consider moving him ahead of Suh? Absolutely not!
  12. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I see how he can go #1

they have tape from 2009 and he was outstanding.

he has not played in a year so the combine will show he kept in great shape.

comparing him with Dez is like apples and oranges.

Dez did have a slow 40 plus I think Dez showed he needed some refinement.

Quinn is considered to be a good guy who made one wrong bad choice.

Dez I believe was seen, right or wrong, as a guy a little on the out of control side.

plus the position also makes a difference.
  13. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    all this said.
    I do not think he goes #1. I think Carolina goes with the QB.
    but I do think he is drafted before the Cowboys pick at 9
  14. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No way... I'll be around at 9 just in time for Dallas to grab him.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,855 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    I disagree with just about everything you said.

Quinn is considered a good guy who made one "wrong bad" choice?

Q: Why was Quinn suspended?
    A: He took two black diamond watches, a pair of matching earrings and travel accommodations for a trip to Miami, among other benefits totaling $5,642.

In fact Dez is the one who made the one "wrong bad" choice, he lied about having dinner with Deion because he thought it would get him in trouble, when it fact there was nothing wrong with them having dinner together.

How on earth was Dez seen as out of control?