1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT:NFL reminds teams not to leak picks before podium announcement

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 24, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Note:so cowboys cant anymore have a player on the phone on tv before the pick? Does this mean if you do that then John Mara & Goodell can fine you some more salary cap or draft picks or money? Your thoughts are?:rolleyes:

NFL reminds teams not to leak picks before podium announcement
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-announce-picks-before-podium-announcement/
    Posted by Josh Alper on April 24, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT

Getty Images
    The NFL really wants to keep the suspense alive during the draft this season.

On the heels of the announcement that there will no longer be camera shots of players on the phone with teams in the green room just before they are picked and hints that analysts on the networks covering the event will not report picks before they are announced comes word that the league is reminding teams to keep the wraps on things. Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that the league recently reminded teams to withhold announcements of their picks via any medium before they are officially made on the stage at Radio City Music Hall.
  2. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've got no problem with this. It's the way it used to be and I'm for it. The podium annoucement is when we should learn the pick. All this "coverage" of players on phones in recent drafts has taken away the suspense.

BTW I don't think teams will be punished for letting the cat out of the bag. It will be a gentelmen's agreement like the collusion of 2010. Oh wait! We did get punshed for that, didn't we?
  3. MissionCoach

MissionCoach Active Member

838 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    I heard that the NFL, on John Mara'a suggestion, is also going to fine the draftees for excessive celebration.

:eek:: :) :rolleyes:
  4. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,414 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    Joe, they changed NFL network/ESPN coverage so that they won't show the draft pick on the phone on TV before he is announced. They ruin the suspense by doing that 2-3 minutes before the actual announcement.

I have no problem with the NFL doing this, I think most fans prefer it actually. Once they show the player on the phone, it was inevitable that they were being picked. You would then have to wait 2-3 more minutes for the announcement. It was so stupid to do that. Show them AFTER the pick if you'd like, but not BEFORE.
  5. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Exactly, tape them on the phone call and show it a few minutes after the announcment is made and all the talking heads are finished commenting on the selection.