1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT' Polian: Wayne, Mathis not getting new deals

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jun 5, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Polian: Wayne, Mathis not getting new deals
    Posted by Evan Silva on June 5, 2010 3:26 PM ET
    Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne and defensive end Robert Mathis are sitting out mandatory minicamp due to displeasure with their contracts. Both players have two years left on their current deals.

Speaking to ESPN's Paul Kuharsky, Colts president Bill Polian indicated that he doesn't intend to satisfy Wayne and Mathis' demands.

"We're not in a regular environment, that's the problem," Polian said, blaming the lack of a CBA for Indianapolis' financial predicament. "I've spoken to both their agents, and I certainly respect both men and they make a good case. But the problem is we don't have a system, and without a system you don't know where contracts might or might not fit.

"So it's futile to plan beyond just baseline kind of planning because you don't know what the final product is going to look like."

Polian also indicated that the Colts have not begun extension negotiations with contract-year quarterback Peyton Manning, despite owner Jim Irsay's pledge to make Manning the league's highest paid player.

"We'll sit down and talk as we go forward," Polian said. "... We'll talk, but there is no timetable. I don't put any timetable on it and neither has Jim Irsay. ... [Agent] Tom [Condon] and I have always handled those things."
  2. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This happens every offseason. Owner's need to start putting clauses in contracts for this type of thing.

So who's to say they won't get their money and then sit out again in two years?

Agents like these are so bad for the game.
  3. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,403 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Polian is the best in the business.

Wayne is hitting 32 years old, and Mathis can be replaced.

They want to sign Manning to an extention which will probably be tricky too.
  4. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,364 Messages
    1,847 Likes Received
    A pro bowl wide receiver like Reggie Wayne is sitting out on a mandatory minicamp? Well! That just sounds like he's being a diva and a jerk to me!

;) :)
  5. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Funny how they can extend Manning but not the others.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,101 Messages
    6,918 Likes Received
    That has a way of happening when one player is orders of magnitude more important than others.
  7. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received

But the CBA/Cap excuse doen't hold water, obviously.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,101 Messages
    6,918 Likes Received
    Well, Manning's just important enough that you do his deal regardless of the cap circumstances. He's someone who gets paid no matter what. Wayne and whoever have to wait until the team knows how much wiggle room they have. Big dogs eat, little dogs get the scraps.