1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT:Report: Jack Tatum dies at 61

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jul 27, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Report: Jack Tatum dies at 61
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2010 1:46 PM ET
    Notorious Raiders defensive back Jack Tatum, whose hit on Darryl Stingley during a preseason game in 1978 left Stingley a paraplegic, has died at the age of 61.

According to 10TV.com, Tatum suffered a heart attack.

Tatum suffered from diabetes for years. He lost all five toes on his left foot, and his right leg ultimately was amputated.

The hard-nosed safety's autobiography was titled They Call Me Assassin. For the youngsters in the crowd, YouTube will get you up to speed regarding Tatum's substance and style. (And please wait to see Tatum's hit on Earl Campbell.)

A member of the College Football Hall of Fame, Ohio State awards during the season a "Jack Tatum Hit of the Week" award.

Loved by Raiders fans and despised by those who followed every other team, Tatum was a key part of the fabric of the game in the 1970s. There hasn't been another Jack Tatum, and there likely never will.
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    RIP Mr. Tatum :(
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,845 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    A mean mean guy ...... never apologized for what happened to that one guy.

RIP assassin.
  4. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Daryl Stingley, I assume you're referring to.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,504 Messages
    1,495 Likes Received
    That man was fierce. I saw the game he put the hit on Stingley. I remember him going head to head with Earl Campbell on the Goal Line as well.

RIP Jack Tatum
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,847 Messages
    2,096 Likes Received
    He was one of the greats I was lucky enough to watch him play this game.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,895 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    I did too, on TV at least. Vicious hit. Shocking outcome for Stingley (who also died not all that long ago...couple years back if I remember right).

RIP Jack Tatum.
  8. bigE79

bigE79 Active Member

2,414 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One of my favorite players of all time...RIP Jack
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,895 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    [youtube]E1lYWg0_Yz8[/youtube]
  10. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,642 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I'm too young to have any nostalgia for players from that era, but watching that video all I'm seeing is the kind of stuff that got players like Rodney Harrison labeled as the dirtiest player in the league. I know the game was played differently back then, but it still doesn't make it right. Too many guys are dying early because of the brain trauma they took playing football.

It's a shame he died, but at the end of the day I'm glad the NFL doesn't let guys play that way anymore. It's just a game, and not one worth cutting your life in half for.
  11. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,876 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    You put it perfectly. Tatum liked hitting people in the head and the video shows that. While I'm sorry to see him die like that, I'm not sorry to see that type of play be part of the past. When you lead with your helmet and go for the head, bad stuff will happen.
  12. peck-sicilyisland

peck-sicilyisland New Member

266 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tatum gave the fans what they wanted,and that was hard hits on anybody,I am not going to say anything bad about the guy,he was a great football player.He stike fear in wr's, and thats what the coaches wanted.
  13. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,087 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    I hated that guy till he clotheslined Lynn Swann, then it was all good.