1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Rodgers calls Kornheiser "stupid," "dumb" and "terrible"; Kornheiser reacts #42

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 8, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    Posted by Michael David Smith on June 8, 2010 10:52 AM ET

In 2008, when Tony Kornheiser was a Monday Night Football commentator for ESPN, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers once sat down with him for a pre-game production meeting.

It would be an extreme understatement to say that Rodgers came away unimpressed.

In an interview with ESPN Radio in Milwaukee, Rodgers went off on Kornheiser and said he was embarrassingly unprepared for his job.

"You know who was better than Tony Kornheiser? Dennis Miller was ten times better," Rodgers said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Dennis Miller was a great comedian, but one of the worst Monday Night Football guys ever. And he was ten times better than Tony Kornheiser. His stuff was actually funny. Tony wasn't funny at all. He did absolutely no research. We'd sit in those production meetings and he would add absolutely nothing to the conversation. I'd be like, 'What are we doing here? This is stupid.'"

Rodgers praised Monday Night Football play-by-play man Mike Tirico as coming into production meetings thoroughly prepared. Kornheiser? Not so much.

"You get in there with Tony and he's asking you all these dumb questions that have no application to the game you are playing or anything you are doing," Rodgers said. "He's terrible. . . . I don't think he's funny. I don't think he's insightful. I don't think knows, really, anything about sports."

Most football fans regard Ron Jaworski as one of the top analysts in the business, but Rodgers isn't particularly thrilled with Jaworski, either.

"I like him, but, when I was coming out, he did the worst segment in the history of TV about me talking about my fundamentals," Rodgers said of Jaworski. "It was not even close to anywhere near my fundamentals. The first time I met him, someone introduced me to him and I said, 'Yeah I know him. He's the guy who ripped me before the draft.' The rest of the night he told me how great I was. I was like, 'I know your song and dance.' And now he loves me."

The whole interview, in which Rodgers criticized other ESPN employees and took a shot at the Detroit Lions, is well worth listening to. Rodgers comes across as an entertaining and engaging player who's not afraid to speak his mind. When he retires, he'd be perfect for the Monday Night Football booth. Or as co-host of Pardon the Interruption.
  2. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    I agree with Jaws. He is HORRIBLE. He just kisses QBs *** every game and drools all over them during the game.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,058 Messages
    1,613 Likes Received
    I agree with Aaron Rodgers. I hate the dumb comments from Kornheiser which often has nothing to do with football or the game that he is suppose to be covering. Make it a 2 man crew (Jaws and Tirico) with a sideline reporter and get rid of the 3rd wheel in the booth.
  4. SDCowboy85

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    I agree but can you imagine if Romo had made these comments? ESPN would be going hog wild.
  5. Doomsday101

75,058 Messages
    1,613 Likes Received
    True. I'm glad Rodgers who is a favorite of ESPN as part of the Pack came out and said it. Hopefully they get the hint and get Kornheiser out of the booth. Seems they are trying to create what MNF was when Frank, Howard and Meredith were in the booth, those days are gone and you will not find a trio like that again. Stick with a commentator, a play by play guy and sideline reporter and let the game sell itself.
  6. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    John Gruden is the BEST!!! I love his breakdown of the game. Mike Terico and Gruden would be enough for me, forget "Jaws" sorry you know what. Tony Kornball was always the weak link, nothing new there.....
  7. Doomsday101

75,058 Messages
    1,613 Likes Received
    I agree. I enjoyed listening to Gruden.
  8. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

4,648 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What did i step in a time machine or something? Kornhieser wasn't even in a booth last year.
  9. DallasGirl50

DallasGirl50 New Member

2,025 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Put me down as well as a Gruden fan. He's very entertaining and knows his stuff. Love listening to him.
  10. SDCowboy85

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    This! Please ditch Jaws already ESPN!! :)
  11. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Aaron Rodgers is a very perceptive guy.
  12. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,167 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Um.. kornheiser isn't in the booth anymore. Jon Gruden replaced him. Last season.

My opinion of Aaron Rodgers just went up a notch.
  13. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,467 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Maybe so, but he said a lot of things he doesn't need to be saying publicly.
  14. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  15. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Very entertaining interview. Spoke about the top 5 QBs. He took offense with the hosts saying Romo was better than him. An open and honest Rodgers, hadn’t heard him like this before. But i like it.
  16. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Wow. Rodgers dropped the hammer.

I wonder if we'll see a sharper analysis of his game now, however? He's lashed out at media members, but he's got no skins on the wall. Something tells me they will be ready to pick him to pieces if this story gets significant play.
  17. SDCowboy85

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    I doubt it. He plays for the Packers which makes him a media angle.
  18. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess this explains why the booth containing both Kornheiser and Theismann was so bad - an unprepared idiot and a buffoon.
  19. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

4,648 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Seriously people, the ESPN game was the first Monday Night game of 2008. Who gives a **** who Aaron Rodgers was back then. Prior to Aaron first meeting Kornieser, through 3 years he had played in 7 games, made 35 passes, and fumbled 3 times.

Kornhieser was still terrible, but Aaron Rodgers need to shut his mouth.

Not knowing the scrub backup to Favre, Kornhieser probably asked him some Favre related question and Aaron got his feelings hurt. Now 2 years later hes crying about it.
  20. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    No he doesn’t have to shut his mouth. He has every right to be pissed about how he was treated by those *******es. Rodgers was not a scrub. He was a first round draft pick that showed all the signs of being something special. He proved that last season that he is the real deal.